Automotive

Winter is coming, stop the stupid habit of warming your car.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2016 11:04 am
117 replies
Jan 29, 2014
538 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
I just start the car and wait about 10-15 seconds for the RPMs to stabilize and then drive off.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15048 posts
1362 upvotes
Markham
Don't tell me what to do. I'm not getting into a frozen car.
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7647 posts
4562 upvotes
Mississauga
That's what heated seats are for.

The fact remains that a car will warm up a lot quicker by being driven than by sitting and idling.
Jun 17, 2013
794 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
You know people do this to literally warm up the cabin of the car and defrost the windows/mirrors right? It's not just to warm up the engine.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2848 posts
2184 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder how many times I'll see on Breakfast TV this winter of people warming up their cars and having some guy drive off with it!

Over to you Kevin...
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37040 posts
23007 upvotes
Center of Universe
I warm up my vehicle for my comfort, not to "warm the engine".
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37040 posts
23007 upvotes
Center of Universe
some1not wrote: I wonder how many times I'll see on Breakfast TV this winter of people warming up their cars and having some guy drive off with it!

Over to you Kevin...
Autostart FTW...try putting the vehicle in gear without the keyfob.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
10595 posts
4559 upvotes
Mississauga
People who are saying they do this to warm up the cabin, so you leave the car running for 15 minutes?

Seriously, the heater relies on the engine. Driving the car gets the engine warmer quicker, thereby, getting hot air from your heater sooner.

But here's another thought...wear a winter jacket maybe?
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1091 posts
459 upvotes
North of Toronto
If you leave your car in a garage it's a lot easier to leave quicker. I know because I park my garage over night so leaving for work... I let my car run for 20 seconds, turn on those seat warmers and I am on my way.

However, my parking spot at work is not covered and on very cold snow/icy days and my windshield is caked, it's not as simple as scraping the ice/snow off all the windows and leaving.

You can't leave if your windowshield keeps frosting over while you drive. In those cases, I sit there for a few mins.

As for the people who leave their car running 15 mins. Let them do what they want. Hurting the car? My neighbor has done it on his car everyday for 10 years and his car is running fine. Pollution? Look at the 401 in the morning and see the thousands of cars running. Pollution is there no matter what.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14726 posts
10857 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Put a jacket on the car.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
professormeth wrote: I just start the car and wait about 10-15 seconds for the RPMs to stabilize and then drive off.
Yep, 1 minute max if I have to clear snow off the car. But I'm easy on the throttle and shift at 2k rpm until coolant is at operating temp tho.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2996 posts
1536 upvotes
AB
GhostBusters wrote: If you leave your car in a garage it's a lot easier to leave quicker. I know because I park my garage over night so leaving for work
That's NOT what the garage is for. Garage is to put the most useless hoarded junk in and leave the much more valuable car outside!
May 23, 2015
408 posts
1003 upvotes
Ontario
Messerschmitt wrote: Old habits die hard, but seriously, stop warming your car in winter (or any other time) unless you are driving a carburetor engine.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a1 ... ms-engine/

I wouldn't want my car's engine oil to flow like this that is why i always let it run for 5 minutes or so and also i clean the snow. It's not only you are putting stress on engine you are also putting stress on transmission. What if someone told you to start working right after you wake up? Wouldn't you be stressed and feel terrible?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5414 posts
4600 upvotes
Oakville, ON
GhostBusters wrote:
However, my parking spot at work is not covered and on very cold snow/icy days and my windshield is caked, it's not as simple as scraping the ice/snow off all the windows and leaving.

You can't leave if your windowshield keeps frosting over while you drive. In those cases, I sit there for a few mins.
If your windshield keeps frosting over while you drive, then a cold car isn't the issue - you have a moisture problem. Make sure your mats are dry and don't use re-circ all the time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5414 posts
4600 upvotes
Oakville, ON
On a forum dedicated to saving money, I'm shocked by the number of people that warm up the car for their comfort.

Idling your cold car in the winter gets you Zero litres/100 kms. In my car, the instantaneous readout for fuel consumption actually shifts over from litres/100 kms to read litres/hour. If it's really cold it'll start off burning about 3-4 littered per hour, before settling down around 2 litres / hr.

Drive off after 20-30 seconds and put up with the cold for maybe 5 minutes and save money!
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12161 posts
2238 upvotes
Richmond Hill
professormeth wrote: I just start the car and wait about 10-15 seconds for the RPMs to stabilize and then drive off.
This is the only right way to do it.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3237 posts
1129 upvotes
Toronto
Glad to see there's still some sanity on these boards.

Idling for 15 minutes to warm up the car is the absolute pinnacle of selfishness.
Out with the Glazers!
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
876 upvotes
Ottawa
I'd warm up the car to deal with fogged/frosted windows. Safety trumps all.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1783 posts
798 upvotes
Markham
I do not want to get in a frozen car and drive off like that.
10700K + Asus TUF 3080.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)