• Jan 8th, 2021 12:58 pm
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10412 posts
2862 upvotes
Newmarket

Winter Gloves

Hi All,

I was outside for a few hours yesterday, it was about -2 outside. I have fairly "thick" Kombi winter gloves; however, my fingers were pretty cold.

Any recommendations for decent casual winter gloves, not too bulky, but still offer plenty of warmth / insulation?

With the pandemic, I suspect I will be outdoors a lot more than usual, so warmth will be important!

Thanks!
RFD Forums Moderator
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1894 posts
416 upvotes
Mittens will do better than gloves for heat retention.

That said if you want gloves I like the following:

Plain unlined leather gloves for cooler days. Usually get something from Marks

Wool and thinsulate gloves like Fox River Four Layer gloves, very warm but you lose dexterity.

Marks plain black insulted gloves, good for wearing with dress clothes but warmer than typical mens dress gloves.

The North Face Denali gloves, old school polar fleece gloves, light to wear and easy to move in.

I also buy a couple of pairs of plain wool knit gloves every year and a pair of wool fingerless gloves of I'm commuting for on the train.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1707 posts
2014 upvotes
Sum_guy wrote: Mittens will do better than gloves for heat retention.

That said if you want gloves I like the following:

Plain unlined leather gloves for cooler days. Usually get something from Marks

Wool and thinsulate gloves like Fox River Four Layer gloves, very warm but you lose dexterity.

Marks plain black insulted gloves, good for wearing with dress clothes but warmer than typical mens dress gloves.

The North Face Denali gloves, old school polar fleece gloves, light to wear and easy to move in.

I also buy a couple of pairs of plain wool knit gloves every year and a pair of wool fingerless gloves of I'm commuting for on the train.
Mittens as mentioned above are the best way to go if you want to stay warm. There are those "lobster" mittens if you want/need a little dexterity. Glove liners work but are a hassle if you need to take them on and off.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19693 posts
5859 upvotes
Bought Helly Hanson Alpha winter gloves from Sport Chek. Nice fit, leather outside (mostly). But unsuitable for winters here in Thunder Bay. Currently -8C and fingers got cold after 15 minutes in line at Best Buy. I doubt SC has ANY cold weather gloves. Maybe good for a warmer place like Toronto, Vancouver, etc. but useless for Thunder Bay. Good thing there is a 30 day return policy on them.
Jan 22, 2020
49 posts
26 upvotes
I wanted to get some nice leather gloves but everything seems to be made in China nowadays. Any brands made in Canada or USA?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13509 posts
2307 upvotes
City of Vancouver
auclairgloves.com ...Aucair is a cdn glove company based out of Quebec, and their stuff can also be found at Altitude Sports, iirc. Not sure where their gloves r manufactured. Canada Goose is another cdn co that makes leather gloves that might be made here.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Jan 22, 2020
49 posts
26 upvotes
Auclair... well thanks for mentioning them. They seem to focus on ski and thick gloves. I wanted leather as I said in my post. Also, Canada goose doesn’t make leather gloves. As for Hestra... I was led to believe they are made in UK but they are not. They’re made in China.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13509 posts
2307 upvotes
City of Vancouver
relyt2003 wrote: Auclair... well thanks for mentioning them. They seem to focus on ski and thick gloves. I wanted leather as I said in my post. Also, Canada goose doesn’t make leather gloves. As for Hestra... I was led to believe they are made in UK but they are not. They’re made in China.
https://www.canadagoose.com/ca/en/workm ... ens-gloves
Have everything you need right at your fingertips with warm gloves that combine sophisticated style with technical innovation. Crafted in smooth leather, this timeless design is durable enough to withstand tough abrasions. The index finger has touch screen capabilities so you can access your phone without exposing skin to the cold.

https://www.canadagoose.com/ca/en/quilt ... ens-gloves
A classic leather glove with touch-screen capabilities and lux leather detailing.

Also, I own a pair of leather Auclair gloves. I can't find them atm. Auclair sells all sorts of gloves.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Jan 22, 2020
49 posts
26 upvotes
Thanks for the links. I can only hope they’re made in Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4487 posts
2776 upvotes
Gotham
ToDealHunter wrote: HESTRA gloves is your answer..

https://en-ca.hestragloves.com/
+1 for Hestra gloves.

They are quality and made to last. I own several pairs of them as I spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter. My oldest pair is 15 years old and the leather on the palm and fingers is just starting to wear out. I estimate I wore them over 500 days.

I think they are the most versatile and longest lasting gloves. Some models like the Any Leather Heli Pro and Army Leather Patrol gloves have removable/replaceable liners. The liners wear out before the leather does. They also have different thickness liners as well as heated liners. The regular replacement liners cost about $40. The heated liners cost about $400. The base gloves cost about $200.
Nov 23, 2001
572 posts
120 upvotes
batcave wrote: +1 for Hestra gloves.

They are quality and made to last. I own several pairs of them as I spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter. My oldest pair is 15 years old and the leather on the palm and fingers is just starting to wear out. I estimate I wore them over 500 days.

I think they are the most versatile and longest lasting gloves. Some models like the Any Leather Heli Pro and Army Leather Patrol gloves have removable/replaceable liners. The liners wear out before the leather does. They also have different thickness liners as well as heated liners. The regular replacement liners cost about $40. The heated liners cost about $400. The base gloves cost about $200.
Where do you buy them though?