• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2021 3:02 pm
[OP]
Dec 28, 2009
755 posts
250 upvotes

Winter Honeymoon Gateways ideas needed!

Hey guys,

My friend is getting married in December (Ontario) and we're brainstorming ideas on what the new couple can do for honeymoon. Given the covid situation, what do you recommend? Travelling within Canada is okay for them. They're not into snow sports but they'd like to just relax. I wish the Caribbean/cruising was safer to travel but covid makes it challening.

Thanks in advance!
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17779 posts
15234 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
December is a great month to visit Quebec City
So pretty (romantic) decked out in lights
A winter wonderland
With great hotels, restaurants, and ambiance in the Old City

A bit of Europe right here in Canada

Low stress … fly or take the train
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3091 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4511 posts
471 upvotes
Nah, real mountains are better aka the Rockies vs. a glorified hill.

Quebec City (if you want the Euro feel while you're in Canada) or Banff would get my vote.

Even the Laurentians in Quebec (if you absolutely had to stay in the east) are better than Blue Mountain.

But I'd go for Banff. There's a reason people from all over the world come here to visit the Rockies.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12054 posts
4368 upvotes
Toronto
I would wait until spring and warmer.
If they are not into winter sports and doesn't want to leave Canada, there are much cool things to do which will be memorable as an honeymoon.

We got married in late May and we waited til September to go for our honeymoon. Skipped the packed and crazy summer and went after prices went down for everything in Sept (few yrs back)
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jul 7, 2014
245 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm in the same boat. Looking into travelling to Cuba for the warm weather. Thoughts?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17779 posts
15234 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
MazMazda3 wrote: I'm in the same boat. Looking into travelling to Cuba for the warm weather. Thoughts?
Cuba is a great winter destination.
But is it a good choice now during Covid … is the real question

Cuz of the US Embargo, Cuba has not been able to go the usual route to access the top 3 vaccines that we have seen here in Canada … Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca.

Instead Cuba has had to go it alone … and create / manufacture it’s own Covid vaccines … Abdala, Soberana-2 and Soberana Plus.

These are all locally produced and have received local (as in Cuban) authority for distribution to Cuban Citizens on an Emergency Use Authorization.

So the greatest unknown with the Cuban Covid Vaccines is how they would stack up against other vaccines globally … and cuz they are Cuban-centric their extremely limited amount of case study info.

They just now are soliciting the WHO for vaccine approval as they begin vaccinating Toddlers

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 021-09-15/

That would scare me enough into not going to Cuba … much the same way I am not signing up to head over to Russia (Sputnik V vaccine) or to China (Sinopharm and Sinovac ) … but at least those Communist Countries Vaccines have been approved by WHO, and are being used in various countries worldwide

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57817591

So personally, I would wait Cuba out for a bit longer. I expect it will be back on my list of possible Winter Getaways come Winter 2023.