Travel

Winter retirement options..not Fl, Mexico, South Amer or Asia

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2019 2:27 am
[OP]
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
844 upvotes

Winter retirement options..not Fl, Mexico, South Amer or Asia

Looking for some discussion based upon personal experience for winter retirement options:
1) 2-4 mths /yr
2) does not have to be hot...winter daytime lows of 10-15c is fine
3) safe and worry-free...I am a conservative traveler with some anxiety issues
4) does not have to be fancy..we only want a modest retirement
5) budget uncertain- 3-4k/mth??
Last edited by Fjr2005 on Jun 8th, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2563 posts
1738 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Fjr2005 wrote: Looking for some discussion based upon personal experience for winter retirement options:
1) 2-4 mths /yr
2) does not have to be hot...winter daytime lows of 10-15c is fine
3) safe and worry-free...I am a conservative traveler with some anxiety issues
4) does not have to be fancy..we only want a modest retirement
5) budget uncertain- 3-4k/mth??
What about Europe?
(decent flights, good weather, safe, easy transportation, within your budget, lots to do and see)

Algarve, Portugal

South of Spain (Costa Del Sol area?)

Las Palmas, Canary Islands

Malta
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3584 posts
2837 upvotes
Fjr2005 wrote: Looking for some discussion based upon personal experience for winter retirement options:
1) 2-4 mths /yr
2) does not have to be hot...winter daytime lows of 10-15c is fine
3) safe and worry-free...I am a conservative traveler with some anxiety issues
4) does not have to be fancy..we only want a modest retirement
5) budget uncertain- 3-4k/mth??
Malaysia (Penang, Malacca)
Thailand (Chiang Mai)
[OP]
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
844 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: What about Europe?
(decent flights, good weather, safe, easy transportation, within your budget, lots to do and see)

Algarve, Portugal

South of Spain (Costa Del Sol area?)

Las Palmas, Canary Islands

Malta
these do seem to be the most promising
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1420 posts
316 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
California, Texas, Europe, Canada’s west coast?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8672 posts
3137 upvotes
Toronto
What about medical? You're covered in Canada's west coast. Not Banff as it's too cold (to your requirement)

In other countries, you need to either have medical coverage or buy insurance which can be expensive. So US, and most European countries would be out. I'd love to retire in Hawaii, but it's a non-starter due to no medical coverage.

Many countries in central America and SE Asia are inexpensive to live, and inexpensive medical expenses. These will be the more realistic choices.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2967 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Malaysia (Penang, Malacca)
Thailand (Chiang Mai)
Last time I visited these places they were still in Asia which specifically excludes them from OP's search.
Winter retirement options..not Fl, Mexico. South Amer or Asia

I'll second @BrunetteGirl's suggestions of Portugal, Spain, & Malta. Haven't been to the other one she mentioned.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3584 posts
2837 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: Last time I visited these places they were still in Asia which specifically excludes them from OP's search.
Actually according to OP's sentence structure I think it specifically includes Asia or south America.

He/she says

Not Florida, Mexico. South America or Asia
Notice the period. So NOT Florida or Mexico full stop. New sentence "South America or Asia" Which means preference is south america or Asia according to sentence structure as it's after the sentence that ended where they specifically excludes Florida or mexico
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2967 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Actually according to OP's sentence structure I think it specifically includes Asia or south America.

He/she says

Notice the period. So NOT Florida or Mexico full stop. New sentence "South America or Asia" Which means preference is south america or Asia according to sentence structure as it's after the sentence that ended where they specifically excludes Florida or mexico
Perhaps. To me it looks like a list with a punctuation mistake of using a period instead of a comma. I guess it's up to OP to provide clarity.

Poorly written thread title either way and based on the responses and the lack of options being suggested for either of South America or Asia it looks like the majority have interpreted it the same way I did.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2563 posts
1738 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Conquistador wrote: Perhaps. To me it looks like a list with a punctuation mistake of using a period instead of a comma. I guess it's up to OP to provide clarity.

Poorly written thread title either way and based on the responses and the lack of options being suggested for either of South America or Asia it looks like the majority have interpreted it the same way I did.
Agree- I read it as no Mexico, FL, South America and Asia
[OP]
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
844 upvotes
Insurance not an issue...spouse's retirement out of country will cover us until we drop dead
[OP]
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
844 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: Agree- I read it as no Mexico, FL, South America and Asia
corrected punctuation in title
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8672 posts
3137 upvotes
Toronto
Fjr2005 wrote: Insurance not an issue...spouse's retirement out of country will cover us until we drop dead
Oh, what kind of coverage is that, covering out of country medicals for life? Don't know any company or government agencies with that type of coverage.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14495 posts
11703 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Arrgh wrote: Oh, what kind of coverage is that, covering out of country medicals for life? Don't know any company or government agencies with that type of coverage.
Lol, I know of one
But even that has restrictions on the amount of time OUT OF COUNTRY in a year or consecutively
Which makes the timeframe of 2 to 4 months problematic if the OP isn’t coming back to Canada for that duration

Top