• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2021 10:10 am
[OP]
Nov 2, 2003
445 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga

Winter Tire Swap - GTA - Now?

Just bought a new car and it came with winters - never had a car with winters before. Anybody changing over to all seasons already or should I wait?
82 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17735 posts
19921 upvotes
GTA
smg669 wrote: Just bought a new car and it came with winters - never had a car with winters before. Anybody changing over to all seasons already or should I wait?
Do what your insurance says. TD insurance requires them from Dec 1 to March 31. I have UHP summer tires, so I wait until late April to swap in case of snow storms. If you have all seasons, then it's safer to swap earlier.
You really should DIY it if you can. It's not hard to do, and valuable experience if you ever have a flat tire. Plus is saves a bunch of money and you don't have to worry about the rush of people trying to swap each season.
Everything you need is in your car already (jack, wrench), but it is easier with better tools and a torque wrench is recommended (~$30 at CT or princess auto on sale). If changing on asphalt driveway, put a board of wood under the jack to spread the load, so you don't sink into the soft asphalt.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2069 posts
1879 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote: Do what your insurance says. TD insurance requires them from Dec 1 to March 31. I have UHP summer tires, so I wait until late April to swap in case of snow storms. If you have all seasons, then it's safer to swap earlier.
You really should DIY it if you can. It's not hard to do, and valuable experience if you ever have a flat tire. Plus is saves a bunch of money and you don't have to worry about the rush of people trying to swap each season.
Everything you need is in your car already (jack, wrench), but it is easier with better tools and a torque wrench is recommended (~$30 at CT or princess auto on sale). If changing on asphalt driveway, put a board of wood under the jack to spread the load, so you don't sink into the soft asphalt.
Caveat: Need 2 sets of rims.

Forcing a tire onto a bicycle rim by hand is hard enough with my tight bike tires. I couldn't imagine doing it for my car.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2010
1075 posts
431 upvotes
toronto
i would wait, better to be safe than sorry..i know with nice weather this week, wife asked lets put her convertible on the road which has all seasons. as we have insurance on that starting may 1st to nov 1st...i said it will snow again...so in your sistuation would wait til mid april at the least
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17735 posts
19921 upvotes
GTA
Dynatos wrote: Caveat: Need 2 sets of rims.

Forcing a tire onto a bicycle rim by hand is hard enough with my tight bike tires. I couldn't imagine doing it for my car.
Of course a full set. You don't have the tools to swap the tires on the rims in your car.
Swapping tires on the rims is a fools bargain. You pay that cost 2x a year, and risk damage to the rims and tires. Just spend money on some cheap winter rims (steelies or used alloys) and they'll pay for themselves after a few years.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7089 posts
4063 upvotes
Mississauga
Too early. GTHA can still get snow/ice well into April. In fact it happened in 2018 and I got caught.
Oct 25, 2020
365 posts
281 upvotes
smg669 wrote: Just bought a new car and it came with winters - never had a car with winters before. Anybody changing over to all seasons already or should I wait?
This is a hotly debated topic on the forum lately with summer looming.
If you have a discount from your insurance you should be following their guidelines on when to have them installed.

This time if year is always hard to judge. Leaving them on you'll melt them on warm days. Occasionally you'll have colder days with maybe a bit of snow. Use your judgement based on driving habits. Tire shops are already starting to pick up.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6626 posts
2984 upvotes
West GTEH!
New cars come with Winter Tires installed now? 1st time I've heard of this.
Generally New cars have A/S tires installed.
Unless OP asked for them. *shrugs*
😎
[OP]
Nov 2, 2003
445 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
Ooops... didn't know there was a wheels & tires subforum. Next time I'll use the search function :facepalm:
[OP]
Nov 2, 2003
445 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
I guess I should have said "new to me"... it was a low kms used car and the winters + rims were included.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12108 posts
3715 upvotes
Ontario
I usually wait until Mid April just to be safe. The last thing you want is snow or an ice storm (it has happened and I had my summers on) then your screwed if you need to drive.
Feb 15, 2021
43 posts
28 upvotes
MB-Formerly GTA
When I lived in the GTA, I had two cars (one for me and one for my wife). Used to change my wife’s tires right about now, but leave them on my vehicle til mid April, so I would still be ready for any April surprises, if there were any. Did the seem thing in October, put the winters on my wife’s car first but waited til mid to late November to do my vehicle. When the first major snow warning came, I would switch my tires.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2135 posts
1096 upvotes
Calgary, AB
engineered wrote: Of course a full set. You don't have the tools to swap the tires on the rims in your car.
Swapping tires on the rims is a fools bargain. You pay that cost 2x a year, and risk damage to the rims and tires. Just spend money on some cheap winter rims (steelies or used alloys) and they'll pay for themselves after a few years.
I agree with you on the second set of rims, but I have never understood that logic.

Unless you’re really short on cash then buy the equivalent rims as your summers for winter (if alloys then alloys, if steelies with hubcaps then steelies with hubcaps).

We live in Canada, and unless you really aren’t bothered, why make your car look worse for half the year?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17735 posts
19921 upvotes
GTA
Andy34 wrote: I agree with you on the second set of rims, but I have never understood that logic.
Unless you’re really short on cash then buy the equivalent rims as your summers for winter (if alloys then alloys, if steelies with hubcaps then steelies with hubcaps).
We live in Canada, and unless you really aren’t bothered, why make your car look worse for half the year?
It only really makes sense to swap tires on rims if you are really hard up for cash, but it will cost you in the long run.
By using 2 sets of rims/tires, you avoid the cost of swapping the tires on the same rim 2x a year.
First google result shows this https://cansumer.ca/change-winter-tires-cost/

1 set of rims (re-mounting the tires every time)
$75 x 2 changes per year x 5 years = $750
To have the tires removed and swapped onto the same rims twice a year for an average of a 5-year tire life-span, costs $60 to $80. This comes out to $150 a year on average just on the swap. If you consider that price over the span of 5 years, it amounts to a stunning $750.

2 sets of rims
$210 for 4 steel rims
+ $75 to have winter tires mounted and installed
+ $35 to have summer tires mounted onto existing rims (not sure why this is here, you'd already have tires on your alloys)
+ $35 per change x 2 swaps per year x next 4 years = $600 (you can easily DIY the wheel swap, so zero cost here)

So if you DIY wheel swap, it's much less.

As for looks, you can go for nice alloys if you want, but cars are generally dirty and look like crap anyways. Most people are driving generic SUVs, so who cares about he rims?

I put my winter tires on the stock alloys, then bought nicer, lighter rims for my summer tires. If you're a good RFDer you can buy used alloys for a good price. I bought BBS rims for $800, and a set of FAST rims for $200 of a racing team for my track tires.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2135 posts
1096 upvotes
Calgary, AB
engineered wrote: It only really makes sense to swap tires on rims if you are really hard up for cash, but it will cost you in the long run.
By using 2 sets of rims/tires, you avoid the cost of swapping the tires on the same rim 2x a year.
First google result shows this https://cansumer.ca/change-winter-tires-cost/

1 set of rims (re-mounting the tires every time)
$75 x 2 changes per year x 5 years = $750
To have the tires removed and swapped onto the same rims twice a year for an average of a 5-year tire life-span, costs $60 to $80. This comes out to $150 a year on average just on the swap. If you consider that price over the span of 5 years, it amounts to a stunning $750.

2 sets of rims
$210 for 4 steel rims
+ $75 to have winter tires mounted and installed
+ $35 to have summer tires mounted onto existing rims (not sure why this is here, you'd already have tires on your alloys)
+ $35 per change x 2 swaps per year x next 4 years = $600 (you can easily DIY the wheel swap, so zero cost here)

So if you DIY wheel swap, it's much less.

As for looks, you can go for nice alloys if you want, but cars are generally dirty and look like crap anyways. Most people are driving generic SUVs, so who cares about he rims?

I put my winter tires on the stock alloys, then bought nicer, lighter rims for my summer tires. If you're a good RFDer you can buy used alloys for a good price. I bought BBS rims for $800, and a set of FAST rims for $200 of a racing team for my track tires.
Even if they look like crap, they look even worse with a cheap set of steelies on - for half the year. Whether they drive a generic CUV or not (no different to all the generic sedans).

If you really don’t care then get steelies, but if you have a remotely modern vehicle just get a set of aftermarket alloys. They’re not exactly expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7375 posts
3487 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Andy34 wrote: Even if they look like crap, they look even worse with a cheap set of steelies on - for half the year. Whether they drive a generic CUV or not (no different to all the generic sedans).

If you really don’t care then get steelies, but if you have a remotely modern vehicle just get a set of aftermarket alloys. They’re not exactly expensive.
Unless they come with alloys... I always go with steel wheels [with covers] year round; whether they be all season or winter tires.

Could care less how vehicles look and not trying to impress anybody.
Strictly to go from point A to B.

Do understand some folks like alloys, to each their own.
Selling Viking 7 winters on steel wheels. Good for Subaru and some Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Lexus, Toyota. Almost New, less then 1k kms used.

viking-contact-7-winter-tires-steel-wheels-2507125/
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2135 posts
1096 upvotes
Calgary, AB
georvu wrote: Unless they come with alloys... I always go with steel wheels [with covers] year round; whether they be all season or winter tires.

Could care less how vehicles look and not trying to impress anybody.
Strictly to go from point A to B.

Do understand some folks like alloys, to each their own.
Agreed. If your summers aren’t alloys, or if you don’t care about the look of your vehicle then get steel wheels.

My point was that just because it’s winter you don’t have to make your car look like crap. Most people don’t wear cheap, old clothes in winter, so why do the equivalent on your car?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7375 posts
3487 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
My Alaskan wooden snow shoes are still in front hallway in case of any snow storm!! :)

We run steel wheels with covers so nowhere near the cost of alloys [and perhaps not as nice looking; eye of the beholder] and they protect from the elements somewhat.
Selling Viking 7 winters on steel wheels. Good for Subaru and some Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Lexus, Toyota. Almost New, less then 1k kms used.

viking-contact-7-winter-tires-steel-wheels-2507125/
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2669 posts
288 upvotes
Scarborough
Wondering is it the right time now to change over from winters to summers?

I do hope we dont get anymore snow as my BMW rims came with Performance Summer Tires..
Bell: $55/20GB
Fido-$30/7GB, 1000 LD Minutes
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17735 posts
19921 upvotes
GTA
ninety5teg wrote: Wondering is it the right time now to change over from winters to summers?

I do hope we dont get anymore snow as my BMW rims came with Performance Summer Tires..
I'm not on my RWD BMW with UHP summer tires. Forecast is for under 10C for the next 14 days. I usually swap near the end of April as we often get snow in the GTA in April.