• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2021 11:18 am
[OP]
Aug 18, 2013
83 posts
12 upvotes
Oakville

Winter Tire Traction Issue

Hi all, I recently put a new set of winter tires (Pirelli Winter Ice Zero) on the stock rims of my 2020 330. The issue I’m having is that the traction light comes on during cornering or when accelerating on the highway from 80–130, even under dry conditions. Can anyone share their input on what the potential issue could be?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4602 upvotes
Montréal
I'm by no means an expert but the system is really proactive and anticipates so it will(seems to) activate w the premise 'better have some DSC rather than not'. Do you feel any slipping at all or are you driving too fast for the conditions?

I usually leave DSC on as that seems to address most of the winter conditions. Only one time I should have switched it off (so it goes into 'traction' mode) when I was heading up a snowy/slipping steep hill and at that time I didn't know one can do that (lol) and I kept getting stuck as the DSC keep coming on...that's probably the only real time to switch DSC off.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12108 posts
3715 upvotes
Ontario
Just a guess but since its RWD you have less weight over the back and that could be why. You could try putting 2 or 4 bags of sand in the back for extra weight just to see if it makes a difference. But also keep in mind the extra weight could also possibly increase your stopping distance in an emergency.

other then that check your tire pressure. Maybe its inflated to much, letting out 1-2 psi may be enough to get you a bigger contact patch and increase grip .
im also guessing the car is stock? you don't have any performance or suspension mods?

aliken wrote: Hi all, I recently put a new set of winter tires (Pirelli Winter Ice Zero) on the stock rims of my 2020 330. The issue I’m having is that the traction light comes on during cornering or when accelerating on the highway from 80–130, even under dry conditions. Can anyone share their input on what the potential issue could be?
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1850 posts
759 upvotes
Vancouver
How hard are you cornering and how hard are you pushing it from 80-130. You can't drive snow tires like you would high performance tires and I think your car is trying to tell you that.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4978 posts
4149 upvotes
Oakville, ON
aliken wrote: Hi all, I recently put a new set of winter tires (Pirelli Winter Ice Zero) on the stock rims of my 2020 330. The issue I’m having is that the traction light comes on during cornering or when accelerating on the highway from 80–130, even under dry conditions. Can anyone share their input on what the potential issue could be?
Double-check to make sure all tires are the correct/same size in order to rule out an installation error. If one tire is the wrong size the car sees different rotational speeds and can kick in traction control thinking there's a problem when theres not.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2013
83 posts
12 upvotes
Oakville
Thanks all for your input. I’m not cornering fast or flooring it on the highway. Just regular throttle in even dry conditions is resulting in loss of traction and at times the car cuts the power. It is AWD, stock with no mods.
Jul 18, 2020
670 posts
1039 upvotes
Did you check your tire pressure? Maybe it is over inflated.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1850 posts
759 upvotes
Vancouver
Check and make sure the snow tires are not directional and installed backwards. The Blizzak WS80 on my wife's car are directional. Other than that chalk it up as sensitive AWD system.
Dec 25, 2006
626 posts
550 upvotes
Winnipeg
sickcars wrote: You could try putting 2 or 4 bags of sand in the back for extra weight just to see if it makes a difference.
NEVER do this....more than extra stopping distance it'll also severely affect cornering & stability. Think pendulum effect - NOT what you want especially in winter.....
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7373 posts
3487 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Long shot but could it be due to new tires and manufacturing coating that has to wear off as you drive on them??
Selling Viking 7 winters on steel wheels. Good for Subaru and some Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Lexus, Toyota. Almost New, less then 1k kms used.

viking-contact-7-winter-tires-steel-wheels-2507125/
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2145 posts
1103 upvotes
Ontario
Granules of salt and dirt will make any tire lose grip. Combined with snow and other junk on the ground it means slow down/go easy on driving etc ;)
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3555 posts
3571 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Welcome to the world of driving a sporty car in slippery conditions.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2013
83 posts
12 upvotes
Oakville
Update. I swapped my winter set to Michelin X Ice Snow and they are much better. Thanks all for your input.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14230 posts
9698 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yeah no problem.
aliken wrote: Update. I swapped my winter set to Michelin X Ice Snow and they are much better. Thanks all for your input.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1922 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote: Long shot but could it be due to new tires and manufacturing coating that has to wear off as you drive on them??
This is what happened to me 10 years ago on my E90 and a new set of Gislaved winter tires that had awesome reviews. It took a week for them to feel stable on the road.
On my F30, I didn't have this issue at all with a new set of Blizzaks.