Tags:
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
254 posts
209 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario

Winter tires

Hey guys,

Replaced the cars this year and will be looking for winter tires as the seasons start to change. Is there any known deals out now or ones that occur annually? It's been a while since I have needed tires. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
24 replies
Dec 4, 2004
730 posts
727 upvotes
GTA
If you have a membership, Costco usually has pretty good prices for tires in general and promotions for $60-$70 off a set of 4 winter tires when the time comes. Also, there are usually mail-in rebates from tire manufacturers around that time too.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31728 posts
18638 upvotes
Toronto
Typical winter tires season starts mid to late September and the major tire manufacturers will have some kinds of rebate. If you want the latest and greatest tires, then some manufacturers will toll them out at this time.

Not sure if there are any deals now for winter tires, you can certainly call up a few shops and see.
Oct 2, 2019
777 posts
700 upvotes
Nunavut
_dc_ wrote: If you have a membership, Costco usually has pretty good prices for tires in general and promotions for $60-$70 off a set of 4 winter tires when the time comes. Also, there are usually mail-in rebates from tire manufacturers around that time too.
It’s $100 right now for Bridgestone
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12342 posts
4852 upvotes
Toronto
Wait til Late September or Early Oct,
Lots of brand will have manufacture rebate and shops will have sale since they will buy buying big loads of winter tires and price will be better. Those you will be buying later will have a later DOT manufacture date, if you are buying a set now, most likely the rubber are made from last year,

No point to buy new winter tire now and put it in storage/garage until November.

Enjoy the summer for now,
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3566 posts
1495 upvotes
Toronto
Do lookout for the new Michelin X-Ice Snow and Bridgestone DM-V3...:)
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14945 posts
11381 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
No need for winters this year if 2nd wave of COVID19 starts.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6116 posts
3925 upvotes
Toronto
Just because Costco has already put out children's snow suits for sale in July, doesn't mean you have to shop for winter tires in July.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3566 posts
1495 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like the Michelin X-Ice Snow is now available from Costco but very pricey as usual...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3566 posts
1495 upvotes
Toronto
I definitely have very good experience with the Blizzack; still have a set of WS80 for my other car and have had it for for three winters now.

On the other hand, I have tried to like the X-Ice 3 on the TSX and the Forester, but the performance in snow was just terrible...I had to get rid of a set during mid winter and got the cheaper Pirelli Ice Zero...
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12342 posts
4852 upvotes
Toronto
X-Ice is better on Ice.
Bridgestone DM-V2 is better on snow, you chose the set which you usually driving on.

I have the DM-V2 on the SUV, (3rd season now) and got the Xi-3 for my Sedan last year.

Don't buy the Pirelli Sottozero, they are horrible,
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2531 posts
1446 upvotes
Ontario
I'd take the X-Ice Snow over Blizzaks any day. Winter siping and compound through out whole tread depth alone makes them better.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1028 posts
787 upvotes
I was looking forward to try the X-Ice Snow except they don't come in 235/65R18. Both the Latitude XI-2 and DMV-2 are long in the tooth, so looks like my best bet is going to be the Continental VikingContact 7. That means I won't be able to get Winter tires at Costco.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19259 posts
2943 upvotes
Woodbridge
Love the Blizzak DM-V2 on my Nissan Murano.

I searched TireRack and only the Blizzak WS90 is available for my Audi Q3P. Though I'm wondering if I should try Yokohama IceGuard52C?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32826 posts
14547 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Not very aggressive tread design for a snow tire. I'd stick with the Blizzack WS90.
You live in Alberta. "DJ Trance" there lives in Toronto. That should say enough. Anyone that does majority of their driving in a metropolis where streets are plowed quickly and salted heavily, should be using a performance winter, not a "deep snow" winter. The latter has way too many trade-offs and in many situations that you will actually encounter in the city, will take longer to stop and handle worse, by comparison.
Jul 24, 2010
446 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
DJ Trance AZ wrote: I definitely have very good experience with the Blizzack; still have a set of WS80 for my other car and have had it for for three winters now.

On the other hand, I have tried to like the X-Ice 3 on the TSX and the Forester, but the performance in snow was just terrible...I had to get rid of a set during mid winter and got the cheaper Pirelli Ice Zero...
I had to sell my X-Ice 3's after a 1.5 seasons of use. Worse than all seasons in snow, equal to all seasons in hard pack/ice, and squirmy/greasy/slippery on dry cold roads. If anyone is really set on getting Michelin winters, get the Pilot Alpin PA4 if they fit your car. 1000 times better in cold and dry conditions and on hardpack/ice, and decent in the snow (but not a hardcore snow tire). Perfect Toronto tire.
Oct 11, 2007
223 posts
190 upvotes
beaverdonut wrote: I had to sell my X-Ice 3's after a 1.5 seasons of use. Worse than all seasons in snow, equal to all seasons in hard pack/ice, and squirmy/greasy/slippery on dry cold roads. If anyone is really set on getting Michelin winters, get the Pilot Alpin PA4 if they fit your car. 1000 times better in cold and dry conditions and on hardpack/ice, and decent in the snow (but not a hardcore snow tire). Perfect Toronto tire.
I agree with PA4, ran them with my BMW m2 for 3 years and it was great even in moderate snow,....and had some performance capabilities in dry. I'm getting a new set for my new ride as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4021 posts
4159 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bembol wrote: Love the Blizzak DM-V2 on my Nissan Murano.

I searched TireRack and only the Blizzak WS90 is available for my Audi Q3P. Though I'm wondering if I should try Yokohama IceGuard52C?
After having (and hating) the Pirelli Sottozeros I got rid of them and got an economy winter tire the Yokohama's IG, they've been fine. I've used them for 1.5 winters.. Really good in the snow, I never got stuck when when I got adventurous in a parking lot (to see if I would get stuck lol), but AWD helps a lot with that. They get wiggly and slide a bit if you drive aggressively, but it was predictable and they're an economy tire not a performance tire. Cheap enough where getting a flat doesn't hurt the bank. At the time I was leaving for work/commuting before the snow trucks came out, so i got lots of driving with them in the snow/slush on streets and highways. Haven't had them long enough to see how many seasons I'll get, but I usually get 3 seasons out of winters with my mileage.

I didn't look at Blizzak's because I read a lot about the WS80's after the first season they're not good in the snow, which was important to my use case.
ES_Revenge wrote: You live in Alberta. "DJ Trance" there lives in Toronto. That should say enough. Anyone that does majority of their driving in a metropolis where streets are plowed quickly and salted heavily, should be using a performance winter, not a "deep snow" winter. The latter has way too many trade-offs and in many situations that you will actually encounter in the city, will take longer to stop and handle worse, by comparison.
Depending what time you leave for work I've done most of my Toronto morning drives before the snow plows have done their thing. The most recent winter it was more a question of "if" they come out rather than when. They were useless but that's very area dependant.
Mar 27, 2013
493 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
MP3_SKY wrote: Wait til Late September or Early Oct,
Lots of brand will have manufacture rebate and shops will have sale since they will buy buying big loads of winter tires and price will be better. Those you will be buying later will have a later DOT manufacture date, if you are buying a set now, most likely the rubber are made from last year,

No point to buy new winter tire now and put it in storage/garage until November.

Enjoy the summer for now,
Thanks for the tip, If I wait a few more weeks, and get a great price, I'd have to store them until I put them on - around December ish, depending on weather?
- It takes more effort to be sarcastic than polite!