• Nov 22nd, 2015 11:05 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 9, 2010
440 posts
73 upvotes

Winter windshield washer fluid

I don't know what kind of washer fluid the previous owner of my car put in.

What would you do?

A) Siphon out the old fluid, then pour in new -40 stuff
B) Add in new -40 stuff and hope that the mix will be good for the temperatures
C) Add a bottle of rubbing alcohol into the old fluid in the reservoir
18 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19144 posts
2867 upvotes
Woodbridge
At the end of the World, over the next few days just use it more than you regularly do until the low warning light comes on and refill with...

If you're a fan of Rain-X like I am, get their De-Icer. There's also Prestone or Windex De-Icer -45C.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
179 upvotes
Bring it in to a good independent shop and ask for a flush and wiper fluid change.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1549 posts
764 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
you simply keep pushing the button and squirting out the last bit of it, or use -40 all year around, in the summer time, you probably dont' even use that much fluid but this saves the changing hassle in winter time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7174 posts
3638 upvotes
West GTEH!
bembol wrote: At the end of the World, over the next few days just use it more than you regularly do until the low warning light comes on and refill with...
xuanzh wrote: you simply keep pushing the button and squirting out the last bit of it
+3. Just use it until you run out and then refill with whatever you want.
😎
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
195 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
dee88 wrote: I don't know what kind of washer fluid the previous owner of my car put in.

What would you do?

When does it get -40 where you live ? My answer is B . Are you school teacher?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3582 posts
1843 upvotes
I bought a new car this past summer and have been just using the fluid it came with. I've had one oil change and i'm petty sure the dealer topped it up. Is it ok to just use the same fluid during the summer? Or are winter temperatures too cold and the fluid will freeze? I have no idea what "kind" or brand it is.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
281 upvotes
Mississauga
crystallight wrote: I bought a new car this past summer and have been just using the fluid it came with. I've had one oil change and i'm petty sure the dealer topped it up. Is it ok to just use the same fluid during the summer? Or are winter temperatures too cold and the fluid will freeze? I have no idea what "kind" or brand it is.
i'm in the GTA and never had wiper fluid freeze on me. I would top it off with whatever u want to buy. i like the $2.50 jugs at Princess Auto or Loblaws lol

i tried RainX De-Icer fluid, and it was blah
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
2115 posts
1766 upvotes
Laval, QC
I think it doesn't matter what kind of washer fluid the previous owner put in. You just go to Costco buy a bottle of washer fluid then put it in your washer fluid tank.
It will not damage the car.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1909 posts
2026 upvotes
dee88 wrote: I don't know what kind of washer fluid the previous owner of my car put in.

What would you do?

Sometimes in the summer they will use a bug-wash type of fluid and not anti freeze. Usually they are different colors so you can tell the difference

There are certain anti freeze testers that will check both the coolant and washer fluids.

If you don't have a tester, don't know what the washer concentration is and freezing weather is starting, I would siphon it out and add the proper concentration. Prevents freezing and cracking of washer components.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7663 posts
4574 upvotes
Mississauga
On really cold mornings I've had -45 washer fluid freeze on my windshield. But I think it's the water in the formulations that freezes. The lower temperature ones just have a higher alcohol content.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1218 upvotes
aGincourt
Why siphon, just hold down the trigger until no more comes out...
Apr 4, 2015
33 posts
7 upvotes
Unionville, ON
It does NO harm to siphon it all out and then refill with what you want.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22189 posts
3016 upvotes
I disconnect the hose from the sprayer and drain the summer stuff into a jug for next year.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1909 posts
2026 upvotes
Swswswish wrote: Why siphon, just hold down the trigger until no more comes out...
That's fine if your OK with keeping the pump on for 5 minutes. Some reseviors hold quite a bit of fluid
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1218 upvotes
aGincourt
billford wrote: That's fine if your OK with keeping the pump on for 5 minutes. Some reseviors hold quite a bit of fluid
Then use a rubber band and go take a washroom break
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8727 posts
5120 upvotes
ON
rssdale wrote: Bring it in to a good independent shop and ask for a flush and wiper fluid change.
Don't forget the sprayer alignment and a nozzle rotation for the full service.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)