Cell Phones

Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2022 12:58 pm
Jul 16, 2013
942 posts
411 upvotes
a_dee wrote: how do you buy a GV #?
I know a site that selling it. It will transfer to your gmail account so u have full access to it. It is in Chinese language though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
ZenaZ927 wrote: I know a site that selling it. It will transfer to your gmail account so u have full access to it. It is in Chinese language though.
ROFl.... Face With Tears Of Joy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Jul 16, 2013
942 posts
411 upvotes
max011 wrote: ROFl.... Face With Tears Of Joy
That only means it is too easy to get a GV that ppl won't pay even 2$ for it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
ZenaZ927 wrote: That only means it is too easy to get a GV that ppl won't pay even 2$ for it.
Also, that pips understand it is not worth it..

For instance, it would introduce another, different, phone number that you are using in the calling game and many would not bother with elaborate schemes developed to get use of it.. [If you just need to make free calls to US numbers, Hangout dialer would do it with your own CA number displayed..]

[there are other uses, I know... just saying..]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1096 posts
514 upvotes
max011 wrote: Also, that pips understand it is not worth it..

For instance, it would introduce another, different, phone number that you are using in the calling game and many would not bother with elaborate schemes developed to get use of it.. [If you just need to make free calls to US numbers, Hangout dialer would do it with your own CA number displayed..]

[there are other uses, I know... just saying..]

Can't get that CID on iOS. But I found Rebtel has free US calling and shows your reg'd number Cdn etc. They also have $2/mo for Cda wide. So $2/mo for NA calling out ($US). Got to set up a free incoming...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Tichi wrote: Veeeeeeeery suspicious... How do they "transfer" a google voice number to your gmail account without a password etc?
That was my reaction. AFAIK in order to get a GV number you need (a) a US[-only?] Gmail account and (b) a US non-VoIP phone number (to get the verification code.)

According to Google the transferor will also need both of those to Port or transfer your number - Google Voice Help.

IOW you'll have to give them access to your Gmail account. That's a non-starter for most people.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
bylo wrote: IOW you'll have to give them access to your Gmail account. That's a non-starter for most people.
Not that I'm interested at all, but if you give them a NEW Google account instead of yours?? And change the password when done? Or transfer # once again to your real account right after??
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
max011 wrote: Not that I'm interested at all, but if you give them a NEW Google account instead of yours?? And change the password when done?
That would work. Of course you'd have to be OK with a new Gmail account. I imagine existing Gmail users would find that to be less than convenient.
Or transfer # once again to your real account right after??
That wouldn't work because you'd need a non-VoIP US phone number to complete the transfer, i.e. for the verification code.

What worked for me a few weeks ago was to use my Roam Mobility phone number while travelling in the US. My Gmail account was also created in the US on a previous trip. The Gmail account and the Google Voice account are both intended for backup use.

[My primary Gmail account was created back when Gmail first launched. At that time there was no country-association so apparently Google designated it as US. I got the primary GV number back when area code 403 was erroneously considered a US number and when VoIP numbers weren't excluded. Those days are long gone.]
Last edited by bylo on May 11th, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
bylo wrote: That was my reaction. AFAIK in order to get a GV number you need (a) a US[-only?] Gmail account and (b) a US non-VoIP phone number (to get the verification code.)

According to Google the transferor will also need both of those to Port or transfer your number - Google Voice Help.

IOW you'll have to give them access to your Gmail account. That's a non-starter for most people.
max011 wrote: Not that I'm interested at all, but if you give them a NEW Google account instead of yours?? And change the password when done? Or transfer # once again to your real account right after??
New google account means more hassle...

I can already hardly pasture all not too many google accounts I already possess! God forbid having any more of them!

All thing seems fishy ans scammy, maybe they are also try to benefit from loopholes even with a new account, like people forgetting to change passwords, recovery phone numbers etc...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Tichi wrote: All thing seems fishy ans scammy, maybe they are also try to benefit from loopholes even with a new account, like people forgetting to change passwords, recovery phone numbers etc...
IMO the cleanest way to get a GV number these days is to make a short trip to the US. Roam Mobility works for this purpose. The SIM normally sells for $10 but is sometimes sent out for free (as it was last Christmas.) Then you need at least one day's cell service at $5 in order to get the verification code. You could probably use a cheap US burner phone from WalMart or similar but I don't know if they sell for as little as $15.

That's about as cheap as you can do it unless you have an Amerifriend who'll let you use their phone number. (Would that work in they've already used that number to get their GV number? Would it preclude them from using that number to verify a GV number for themselves in the future if they don't already have a GV number?)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
bylo wrote: IMO the cleanest way to get a GV number these days is to make a short trip to the US. Roam Mobility works for this purpose. The SIM normally sells for $10 but is sometimes sent out for free (as it was last Christmas.) Then you need at least one day's cell service at $5 in order to get the verification code. You could probably use a cheap US burner phone from WalMart or similar but I don't know if they sell for as little as $15.

That's about as cheap as you can do it unless you have an Amerifriend who'll let you use their phone number. (Would that work in they've already used that number to get their GV number? Would it preclude them from using that number to verify a GV number for themselves in the future if they don't already have a GV number?)
Yeah, Roam Mobility number will do, I keep one permanently.. but I do not think I want any more of US GV numbers ;)

They finally need to step on the heels of Canadian oligopoly! Come one, Google, what does it take to offer Canadian GV numbers!?
Mar 12, 2009
508 posts
557 upvotes
Ontario
bylo wrote: IMO the cleanest way to get a GV number these days is to make a short trip to the US. Roam Mobility works for this purpose. The SIM normally sells for $10 but is sometimes sent out for free (as it was last Christmas.) Then you need at least one day's cell service at $5 in order to get the verification code. You could probably use a cheap US burner phone from WalMart or similar but I don't know if they sell for as little as $15.

Just to add to this... You can actually save bridge toll by using your Roamobility service from the Canadian side of the bridge. The US cell towers connect on our side of the bridge too. I did this from a street parking spot on Bridge street in Niagara Falls Canada a few years ago.
Jul 16, 2013
942 posts
411 upvotes
Do u guys have any problem connecting to VoIP.ms on fido LTE? It was working yesterday but today it won't work. Works fine on Wi-Fi though. And fongo works too. GV works fine too. I don't know what is going on. I also tried on both iPhone and Android.
Jul 16, 2013
942 posts
411 upvotes
So anyone has trouble connecting to VoIP.ms over this data ? I have been having trouble today on LTE. Works fine on wifi. Tech support said it is the mobile network.
Nov 15, 2007
694 posts
219 upvotes
ZenaZ927 wrote: So anyone has trouble connecting to VoIP.ms over this data ? I have been having trouble today on LTE. Works fine on wifi. Tech support said it is the mobile network.
I just checked, and no problem connecting to voip.ms using my fido data plan. I have been using voip.ms and fido data plan for more than 3 years.
Public Mobile + Fido 3GB Tablet Plan
Feb 22, 2009
987 posts
667 upvotes
Ottawa
ZenaZ927 wrote: So anyone has trouble connecting to VoIP.ms over this data ? I have been having trouble today on LTE. Works fine on wifi. Tech support said it is the mobile network.
Actually I tried to make a Voip.ms call over LTE+ a couple days ago and the call kept dropping as soon as the other party answered. Had to revert to Fongo and haven't tried it again since. Never had an issue before that.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1834 posts
4035 upvotes
No issue here.
Both TCP on 5060 and TLS on 5061 register immediately on Fido mobile data (4GB plan).
No call drops experienced. Using CSipSimple.
Jul 16, 2013
942 posts
411 upvotes
gzlwl wrote: I just checked, and no problem connecting to voip.ms using my fido data plan. I have been using voip.ms and fido data plan for more than 3 years.
Which softphone r u using? I have tried grandstream Wave and Zooper. Both won't connect to VoIP.ms. Or connect s but no audio

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)