• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 4:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
598 posts
302 upvotes

Wiper linkage question

So, to make a long story short, driving home the other night in the rain and my wipers decided to call it quits (on the highway to boot). Took the cowl apart and one of the bushings on the linkage was shot. Replaced the linkage and realigned the wiper arms the best I could. The problem is, now when I turn on the wipers, they go down about 3/4 of an inch (towards the cowl) and then proceed to go through their full motion (without any issue). It's not the end of the world but I can see this being any issue this winter with the snow an ice. I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure this didn't happen before. Where did I mess up?
Sorry... Car is a 2012 Buick LaCrosse
4 replies
Aug 1, 2018
106 posts
72 upvotes
S/W, Ontario
It's sounds like your Wipers aren't Starting from a Fully Parked Position.
I would Mark the point where they stop at.
I would loosen the nut that locks them and Adjust them about an inch towards the Cowl. Tighten them down then cycle the wipers and see if its Better.
Do let me know it it helped. GL
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36197 posts
10343 upvotes
Ottawa
You may have put your wiper arms on one spline too much in the wrong direction.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Aug 1, 2018
106 posts
72 upvotes
S/W, Ontario
+1 Pete, that was my first thought as i read the post.
Dec 7, 2011
795 posts
581 upvotes
Toronto
It's a simple fix. Remove the wiper arms again. Then cycle the wipers. Turn off the wipers and now they should be in the park position. Now reattach the wiper arms. Some cars actually have a rest position and a park position.