Personal Finance

Wire Receiving Fee Deducted - Charge to Sender?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2014 7:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4568 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…

Wire Receiving Fee Deducted - Charge to Sender?

This happened twice already, once with ING before Scotia's acquisition, and with Scotiabank.

I'm helping my sister transfer some funds for her investments, and she told me she issued an instruction to the bank in Hong Kong that fees are to be charged to sender, yet both times when I receive it, the bank here charges to my account the fee?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8569 posts
1763 upvotes
The bank here doesn't have the ability to charge a bank in Hong Kong for the fee. Most your sister can do is transfer an additional $10 or whatever to cover the fee.
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Mar 12, 2008
95 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
When the sender pays the fees, the sending bank adds on what they think the fees will be. It's an avg fee. All banks have different fees as to what they charge for incoming wires. And they can not go back and collect more as there was only a set amount sent.
Also, depending on where the funds are coming from and what bank, there may be an intermediary bank which the fundss pass through, and this bank will also take a fee. Hope this helps.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
Your bank will always have an incoming wire fee that is normally $15-20. Intermediary fees might also be deducted along the day which you have no control over.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote: Your bank will always have an incoming wire fee that is normally $15-20. Intermediary fees might also be deducted along the day which you have no control over.
Came to say the same. Unless you have a plan that covers it, incoming wires have fees.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2338 upvotes
Ottawa
Just curious, we can look up the Incoming Wire Fees at our bank easily, but is there any way to know of any Intermediary Fees in between?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
Akitakara wrote: Just curious, we can look up the Incoming Wire Fees at our bank easily, but is there any way to know of any Intermediary Fees in between?
No way to really find out. Even once your bank receives the money, they won't be able to see who took off how much along the way.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote: I'm helping my sister transfer some funds for her investments, and she told me she issued an instruction to the bank in Hong Kong that fees are to be charged to sender, yet both times when I receive it, the bank here charges to my account the fee?
With Scotiabank, receiver always pays a fee - it's in their fee guide. Scotiabank has no way of collecting the fee from the sender - it's a meaningless instruction :(

If you want it for free, you can transfer into an iTrade account, however, it's slightly more complex and error prone than a regular banking account because you have to route the payment to a holding account first.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4568 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
coolspot wrote: With Scotiabank, receiver always pays a fee - it's in their fee guide. Scotiabank has no way of collecting the fee from the sender - it's a meaningless instruction :(

If you want it for free, you can transfer into an iTrade account, however, it's slightly more complex and error prone than a regular banking account because you have to route the payment to a holding account first.
Yeah that won't work. I work at an IB so I have brokerage restrictions, I can't have an iTrade account. I'll tell her to stop giving that instruction going forward. She is opening her own account soon though.