• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 7:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1196 posts
57 upvotes

Wired outdoor camera system

We are looking for 3 wired outdoor cameras that record to a DVR (not cloud) but also have an app for viewing in real time. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6170 posts
568 upvotes
BC
We picked up a couple of the Lorex outdoor cams from Costco. They dont record to a dvr but they have a memory card and you can put it on your computer if you want to save footage.

For the price, on sale for 99.99 each, I'm really happy with them. Super easy to set up, they give a good range, we can see the back door and the entire back yard on one camera. Can also watch it live if you choose, its set up on the phone and the tablet. Each time something is detected the video runs and alerts you.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11664 posts
6228 upvotes
Brampton
notenoughsleep wrote: Can anybody explain what the difference between these 2 systems are? They look almost the same can't figure why the second one is $135 cheaper

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-s ... IP84BW-0-p
https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-s ... 5CBE-W-1-p
EDIT: They look identical. Except for the Black vs White cameras. Lorex has been known to do this. The systems could be almost 100% the same but the newer one is the old MSRP while the "Older" one drops a couple hundred to move it out. I have a couple older IP cams where they did this.

One of them has "Smart voice control" I guess it means you could hook it up to Alexa or Google and ask it to show up on their respective video devices verse the one without.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5261 posts
2433 upvotes
Vancouver
Drthorne wrote: I have 2 Reolink cameras so far, records to Synology NAS using it's Surveillance Station app. The reolink mobile app works well. They have a 4 camera NVR bundle on Amazon for $550

https://www.amazon.ca/Reolink-Security- ... ljaz10cnVl

Screenshot_20200620-052832_Reolink.jpg
Are you pretty happy with the reolink? Amazon has a $80 off coupon so it's significantly cheaper than the lorex right now.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1634 posts
712 upvotes
Alberta
I run a Swann system at home, it's pretty good, cameras are sharp and records to DVR. Usually goes on sale. This system uses the BNC connectors and not POE if that matters to you. POE is where power and data runs over Ethernet cable vs a coax cable. If your house is pre-wired for ethernet at camera locations definitely get POE setup, if not and you have to run cables yourself, this setup will still work nicely.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sw ... y/13862567

There is a 4 camera bundle for cheaper as well. Or you can go with the 4K camera bundle:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sw ... s/13898769

I like mine, runs solid, no issues, not sure why some people have such poor reviews.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4934 posts
1322 upvotes
Kitchener
notenoughsleep wrote: Are you pretty happy with the reolink? Amazon has a $80 off coupon so it's significantly cheaper than the lorex right now.
Yes, works well and was easy to configure. I am thinking about buying another for the backyard
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4749 posts
559 upvotes
Burlington
I have a 4k Hikvision setup installed. No issues whatsoever but it can be a bit of a learning curve playing around with the settings until you get something that works for you. Can be viewed via app as well.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10863 posts
2692 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
+1 Hikvision they are one of the best brands available. you will want it connected to an NVR. These systems all use network cable to connect cameras like Cat6 so only 1 cable from the camera to the nvr. The cheaper systems need 2 wires 1 for video and 1 for power these are older technology so not as good quality.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1196 posts
57 upvotes
Tha_Doggg wrote: I have a 4k Hikvision setup installed. No issues whatsoever but it can be a bit of a learning curve playing around with the settings until you get something that works for you. Can be viewed via app as well.
We just got a hikvision and you are correct about the learning curve...they don't make it easy. I downloaded the manual online (194 pages) and I am reading it to understand most of the features. Does yours have audio btw? We were told that audio in Canada is illegal? Also, can you pan tilt zoom your model? Not sure if I can on mine yet lol
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2446 posts
1277 upvotes
Mississauga
boneca wrote: We are looking for 3 wired outdoor cameras that record to a DVR (not cloud) but also have an app for viewing in real time. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Unless you run your own web server at home, any system that allows access through an app will involve some degree of cloud.
If you totally want to avoid cloud, then you can probably take a look at software like BlueIris and set up a NVR right on your computer.
Apr 19, 2018
207 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
I have an Envision link + HikVision setup. No monthly fees and works amazing via an app on my phone.
Don't worry be happy - Bob
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10863 posts
2692 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The cameras would need to support Audio & some have a built in Mic so depends on exactly what you bought. The more expensive cameras can move around and zoom but each is in the $300 range I believe. Post exactly what equipment you bought.

Also you can post here for more info - hikvision-security-camera-equipment-2187725/21/
boneca wrote: We just got a hikvision and you are correct about the learning curve...they don't make it easy. I downloaded the manual online (194 pages) and I am reading it to understand most of the features. Does yours have audio btw? We were told that audio in Canada is illegal? Also, can you pan tilt zoom your model? Not sure if I can on mine yet lol
0_o
<_<
>_>