• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2020 8:08 am
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
81 posts
39 upvotes
North York, Toronto

Wireless Charger pad

Hello, maybe this belongs in automotive but I trust the topic insight from this sub for this..

My car has a single din slot under the radio, I'd like to turn that space into a wireless charger. Before I go cutting a circle out of the plastic tray, I'd like to know if anyone has recommendations for a wireless charger pad. Ideally I'd like it to be able to penetrate 1/16" plastic (basically I'd just double-side tape it to the underside of the tray. Please recommend a pad which has a decent coil as the phone will probably slide around 1/2 an inch in any direction.

Thanks for any insight
Images
  • Screenshot_20200908-232856_Chrome.jpg
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4252 posts
1143 upvotes
Wireless charging was very convenient until magnetic USB connectors were invented. An adapter/connector can be had for < $3 USD on Aliexpress. Some may even support fast charging. Look for ones that claim "3A" current support like this one. ($1.86USD)
signature closed for renovation
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
81 posts
39 upvotes
North York, Toronto
Thanks for the suggestions, I think that might be a little too DIY.. I guess I'm just looking for a small footprint, hopefully slim, with good contact area and can work through a plastic case. That should do the trick for me, I imagine?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5450 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
Are you going to take apart our dash to install it? Wiring isn't going to look very nice if you don't. I think the ebay one should work well if you do take it apart. All you need to do is place it with above the plastic or below (test it first to see if it goes through both your phone and the plastic of the din slot.

Most are at least 5mm-10mm if you are looking for something to just slide in. Ebay one might also work laying it like the image (side by side) looks like 3mm height. Just wiring won't be clean likely.

I would likely just go magnetic connector if you aren't willing to disassemble your din to access below.