Wireless code help - BYOD trial period

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2020 7:33 pm
Mar 22, 2007
225 posts
805 upvotes

Wireless code help - BYOD trial period

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand how the wireless code works for BYOD plans. I signed up for a BYOD plan with Telus on December 14 and cancelled it on the 21st. Apparently I used 384mb of data. When I chatted with Telus support they said because I used that amount I had to pay the entire month's fee, which feels wrong - I assumed it would be prorated to the actual time I had the plan. I can't seem to find this in the wireless code stuff I've read, just device trial periods.

I found this in the code: "When calculating the time remaining in a contract to determine the early cancellation fee, a month that has partially elapsed at the time of cancellation is considered a month completely elapsed." Does that mean I'm on the hook for the full monthly amount?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6659 posts
5440 upvotes
LaLaLand
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure you don't owe an anything. I think your covered under the the cancellation period of the wireless code.

I had Fido a while back and cancelled after about a week. I used a similar amount of data. They also tried to charge me for a month. Regular online and telephone support was useless. I spoke to a manager and that person cancelled all of the charges due.

Best to escalate to a manager and mention the code.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29462 posts
20372 upvotes
The wireless code is pretty clear about trial periods under section G, item 4. The minimum trial period is 15 days. Bullet iii says the provider can impose a usage limit if a plan feature is not unlimited. "For single-user plans, the standard trial period usage limits must correspond to at least half of the permitted monthly usage specified in the customer’s contract." If the included monthly data was greater than 2 x 384 MB, then the prorated monthly fee is all that should be charged. Take this up with the CCTS.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Mar 22, 2007
225 posts
805 upvotes
I sent a message through the escalation form on Teluis' site and this is what I got back from them. Now I'm more confused as to which is actually correct.
After reviewing your account and your usage between Dec 14 - Dec 21st, I can see the following

- Total data usage for the phone was 1036.18MB
- Airtime was 62 mins
- Text messages - 15 sent messages

The trial period includes the following usage

- 30 voice minutes
- 50 messages OR
- 50 MB of data

This information can be found on the contract, under the section "Is there a Trial Period?", when services are activated

Is there a trial period?
At TELUS we have a Customer Satisfaction Guarantee. If you’re not happy with your device or service, You can return the device for a full refund or cancel service with no cancellation fees, within fifteen days. Plus, we will not charge for the service unless you’ve used more than 30 voice minutes, 50 messages or 50 MB of data. Over those limits, we will only charge for the number of days before the cancellation, based on your monthly plan rate, plus any pay-per-use services you have used. If you have a disability, this trial period is extended to thirty days and your usage limits before charges apply are doubled. Of course, the device must be returned in near-new condition in the original packaging, so keep it safe until the trial period is over.

Due to the above information, the invoices are valid. I understand this is not what you wanted to hear. If the thresholds were not met, then the rate pans would have been credited. As you can see 2 out of the 3 thresholds were exceeded.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6659 posts
5440 upvotes
LaLaLand
neilio wrote: I sent a message through the escalation form on Teluis' site and this is what I got back from them. Now I'm more confused as to which is actually correct.
I think their goal is to confuse you so much that you pay and go away.

You can refer them to this page, https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/contact/phone/q19.htm
What if you’re not happy with the service you’ve just signed up for?

If you have a contract with an early cancellation fee, you have a trial period.

You can cancel your contract and return your device in near-new condition within the first 15 days of your contract. You can use up to 50% of the monthly usage specified in your contract before making your decision.

If you are a person with a disability, you have an extended trial period lasting a full month. It includes 100% of the monthly usage limits specified in your contract. Talk to your service provider.
Mar 22, 2007
225 posts
805 upvotes
I saw that part of the code. Based on how it’s written it sounds like the trial period only applies if you have signed up for a plan with a cancellation fee, but I could totally be misunderstanding it.
Mar 22, 2007
225 posts
805 upvotes
Update - they refunded the full amount and tried to act like this was new information for them.
The Usage Limits you have provided are absolutely correct, although the 50% of an unlimited allotment isn’t mathematically possible. Because 50% of unlimited isn’t possible, the other part of the WCC basically states that there cannot be usage limits on an unlimited plan. Therefore, the trial period of 15 days will prevail in this case.
Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and for the opportunity to resolve. We are sharing this example with the necessary stakeholders and providing this crucial piece of information so all our teams will be on the same page.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6659 posts
5440 upvotes
LaLaLand
That's good to hear.

Sounds suspect, feigning ignorance about their own business. :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29462 posts
20372 upvotes
neilio wrote: Update - they refunded the full amount and tried to act like this was new information for them.
Too bad you didn't enter a CCTS complaint. It would have resulted in additional cost to Telus and a mark on their record. The best way to alter bad behavior is punishment. Forgiveness does not work with carriers.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2976 posts
2012 upvotes
Calgary
Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and for the opportunity to resolve. We are sharing this example with the necessary stakeholders and providing this crucial piece of information so all our teams will be on the same page
Hahahaha ha ha! Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy I'm dying with laughter here because we all know that's not going to happen!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)