• Oct 9th, 2020 3:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1087 posts
14 upvotes

wireless Internet is slow with Telus

Hello there

I am using fiber network for my house with Telus. The hard-wired download is around 100 Mbps but my wireless connection for my laptop / smart phone is only like 7-8 Mbps.

May I know what went wrong ? Or should I call Telus tech support ?

Please kindly offer me some help.
Trade with me 100% confidence and my feedback on RedFlagDeals, eBay and Revscene.net :

Feedback on RedFlagDeals.com

Feedback on EBay.com

REVScene Feedback Ratings
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3625 posts
3717 upvotes
Vancouver
1. Move close to the router and test the speed there. If it drops off rapidly with distance, your router may be poorly placed or oriented.

2. Launch an app like WiFi Analyzer on your phone - it will show you the competing WiFi networks in the area and their signal strength relative to yours. You might be able to find an alternative channel that has fewer competing networks. You can also move around the house and see how the signal varies, which would help you place your router better.

3. Unfortunately apps like WiFi Analyzer don't show you one important thing about competing WiFi networks, which is how active those networks are. That's an important factor in how much interference they cause. You need a laptop app for that, something like https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_channel_monitor.html, and it can only monitor traffic on one channel at a time due to limitations of your WiFi adapter. Keep in mind that activity can vary by time of day, for example when your neighbour is watching Netflix or gaming in the evening.
Jun 9, 2012
454 posts
304 upvotes
Vancouver
I wish all ISPs and wifi manufacturers include large disclaimers that wifi doesn't actually provide a guaranteed data transferring rate.

As an aside, 100 mbps could indicate a wired bottleneck if you are paying for more than 100 mbps internet service.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4403 posts
2492 upvotes
Where is your router/modem? Some appliances interfere with Wifi signals, fridges, microwaves, cordless phones.

Also concrete is bad, could it be walls?
Oct 1, 2009
478 posts
184 upvotes
West coast
you're better off with your own wireless router rather than the built in wifi on the telus modem.
Apr 29, 2018
813 posts
454 upvotes
Vancouver
I swapped out the Telus router with a R7800. Works great. Get full 300Mbps speed on Wifi
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8065 posts
4459 upvotes
Alberta
gomcse2002 wrote: Hello there

I am using fiber network for my house with Telus. The hard-wired download is around 100 Mbps but my wireless connection for my laptop / smart phone is only like 7-8 Mbps.

May I know what went wrong ? Or should I call Telus tech support ?

Please kindly offer me some help.
It depends on where they put your modem. I had them put mine upstairs in our loft on a 2 storey house that is open to below instead of in the basement and it works fine. You might want to try the Telus boosters.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9778 posts
1859 upvotes
Victoria
All sorts of things can cause wireless interference. When I used to live in an apartment 2.4ghz band was almost useless. Wifi was slow, my wireless headphones kept crapping out. I had to upgrade to a 5ghz router just to have a newer technology most people weren't using.

I'm not sure how much an ISP can help with all that. Even when I used to use 2.4ghz I would try to find a frequency my neighbor's weren't using. I've even lived in places where Shaw has ShawGo wifi hotspots. It sounds amazing, but Shaw kind of parks their wifi all over the spectrum, slowing down wifi speeds for anyone else that lives in proximity to their router.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11500 posts
7784 upvotes
Edmonton
Telus isn't really responsible for the wireless performance inside your house. They bring the pipe into your house, but after that, it's up to you. I'm getting 250Mbps on my stock Telus wireless router, for example. I also installed a couple of Telus Boost devices (hardwired) to make sure I had decent WiFi service in different areas of the house. But it would be up to me to tweak and tune WiFi service in my house, if needed, as the others are saying above.

C
Nov 23, 2004
591 posts
913 upvotes
Ontario
BigBrother0 wrote: I wish all ISPs and wifi manufacturers include large disclaimers that wifi doesn't actually provide a guaranteed data transferring rate.

As an aside, 100 mbps could indicate a wired bottleneck if you are paying for more than 100 mbps internet service.
I worked tech support at a small ISP around a decade or more ago now - honestly, I think 70% of our hundreds of support calls a day were just wifi related.

Luckily the modems were starting to get smarter as I was on my way out of tech support into a developer role. The company was evaluating software that could receive various stats from the modem, including a bunch of WiFi signal strength/speed stats, back into our diagnostic systems so we could almost immediately tell if someone's problem was wifi related. The longer term plan was to be able to be proactive with people about bad wifi conditions and save some eventual support calls, but it was a touchy subject if customers were to feel it was invasive that we knew wifi and hardware stats :/ No idea where things went from there.