Cell Phones

Wireless prices have nowhere to go but up after carriers spent big on 5G spectrum auctions

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 12:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26162 posts
23173 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Wireless prices have nowhere to go but up after carriers spent big on 5G spectrum auctions

Consumer prices for wireless services are expected to rise after carriers spent a whopping $8.91-billion in a government auction of 5G airwaves.

Analysts predict that carriers, which still need to make major investments to upgrade their networks, will pass on those costs to consumers. What’s more, they say the government’s auction rules precipitated this problem by inflating spectrum costs for large carriers...

Analysts say a limited supply of airwaves and the government’s decision to set aside, or reserve, a portion of available spectrum for bidding by new entrants drove up prices for established carriers...

Let’s get real. No matter which party forms the next government, implementing price caps and targeting unlimited data plans for price reductions would wreak havoc on the industry and the broader economy. Such moves would destroy the profitability of major carriers, torpedo network investments and kill jobs.

That means, much to the chagrin of consumers, wireless prices have nowhere to go but up now that carriers have spent heavily on 5G spectrum – thanks in no small part to the government’s own auction rules.

Therein lies the rub with Ottawa’s wireless policies. Consumers love to hate the Big Three. But if those carriers falter, Canada loses its path to 5G.
TL;DR: BOHICA
veni, vidi, Visa
6 replies
Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
927 upvotes
5G is a waste

3G->LTE was actually noticeable because file/video sizes at the time.

these same file sizes are generally the same today, aside from 4K content, which NO ONE needs on a smartphone, rendering 5G basically useless and a gimmick in my eyes.

inb4 someone tells me they need 4K on a 5" display because they wanna count someones grey hairs in a movie.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23401 posts
5372 upvotes
Toronto
idontwantausername wrote: 5G is a waste

3G->LTE was actually noticeable because file/video sizes at the time.

these same file sizes are generally the same today, aside from 4K content, which NO ONE needs on a smartphone, rendering 5G basically useless and a gimmick in my eyes.

inb4 someone tells me they need 4K on a 5" display because they wanna count someones grey hairs in a movie.
I agree - how the heck do you watch 4K content on a tiny smartphone screen. No matter even the largest size! Definitely a gimmick.....I'll stick to LTE & will continue to look to lower my monthly costs as much as possible!!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26162 posts
23173 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ji2o0k wrote: For the record, I dun care about 5G - LTE is good enough for me.......
idontwantausername wrote: 5G is a waste
Definitely the case today. However in the future, when there are apps and IoT devices that can exploit new 5G features, there will be benefits. In the meantime guess who gets to finance the installation of 5G infrastructure...
veni, vidi, Visa