• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2020 1:52 am
[OP]
Dec 21, 2009
88 posts
15 upvotes
niagara

Wireless Router

Looking to upgrade my router, I don't think it is as secure as it needs to be. I am a single person household who doesn't stream netflix, play games - just regular surfing the internet, youtube. I don't need anything top notch. Something respectable that won't break the bank.
4 replies
Aug 9, 2013
18 posts
6 upvotes
Markham
netrate wrote: Looking to upgrade my router, I don't think it is as secure as it needs to be. I am a single person household who doesn't stream netflix, play games - just regular surfing the internet, youtube. I don't need anything top notch. Something respectable that won't break the bank.
What router do you currently have?
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1945 posts
269 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Who is your internet provider? Are you using their router?
Sep 14, 2012
208 posts
60 upvotes
Montreal, QC
What is your price range? Also, how large is your place? What is your current router? Why are you thinking of upgrading?

In terms of streaming YouTube, this is somewhat "equivalent" to streaming Netflix since both don't need fast/rapid upload speeds and both are streaming audio & video at a somewhat regular rate.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31804 posts
5876 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
@netrate

You’re single and live alone. If there is a security breach, it will be caused by the only user in the house.

If you don’t do anything on your network, the chance of you getting hacked is slim to none. Do you have any ports open? Do you have multiple machines? Is anything in the DMZ?

Unless you click on something and let someone into your machine, you have nothing to worry about. Even with a router with advanced features, you can still inadvertently let someone into your network.