• Jul 7th, 2020 4:49 pm
[OP]
Jun 28, 2015
233 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Wireless router / system replacement

Hey folks,

So for all you wizards out there, need some advice.

I need a new wireless router/wireless system. My current router is on the fritz and the wifi keeps going out. Even after a factory reset, keeps dropping out. To be fair, its 6+ years old so probably on its way out.

Home details: 25 x 45 home, wood framing. Basement, main floor, loft. Router is in the basement, back of the house, in a corner room of the house. There are dead spots all over.

Devices: PC, PS4, laptop, TV (all wired). Cellphones, tablet, laptop (wireless).

Usage: 4 people in the house. 2 adults that work from home. Multiple wireless devices using bandwidth for gaming and steaming.

Internet service: 25mb down / 1mb up wireless through Xplornet (only option in rural location). Most of the time, its ok. Ping and jitter are usually low but spike occasionally.

Needs: strong signal for big-ish home, ability to have "QoS" (which i think is where i can control the bandwidth to each device?), at least 4 wired enet connections, USB port, if i COULD get one where i could set up my nordvpn account directly on it, great; if not, not a deal breaker.

So, given all that .. I'm looking for a replacement router. Not sure of budget but I'd like it to be reasonable. The house isnt hugr but the opposite ends and loft have almost no service. I have one wireless extender but it did nothing. I have read about nest systems (like the google one) but not sure if they fot my needs (to be fair, im such a dumdum with this stuff). I've read a bunch but my head is swimming. Not sure if a router with extenders OR a nest system is a better option.

Anywho, I'll stop here and if you have questions, more than happy to answer.

Thanks a bunch :)
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3645 posts
1035 upvotes
Oshawa
LucifersGhost wrote: Hey folks,

So for all you wizards out there, need some advice.

I need a new wireless router/wireless system. My current router is on the fritz and the wifi keeps going out. Even after a factory reset, keeps dropping out. To be fair, its 6+ years old so probably on its way out.

Home details: 25 x 45 home, wood framing. Basement, main floor, loft. Router is in the basement, back of the house, in a corner room of the house. There are dead spots all over.

Devices: PC, PS4, laptop, TV (all wired). Cellphones, tablet, laptop (wireless).

Usage: 4 people in the house. 2 adults that work from home. Multiple wireless devices using bandwidth for gaming and steaming.

Internet service: 25mb down / 1mb up wireless through Xplornet (only option in rural location). Most of the time, its ok. Ping and jitter are usually low but spike occasionally.

Needs: strong signal for big-ish home, ability to have "QoS" (which i think is where i can control the bandwidth to each device?), at least 4 wired enet connections, USB port, if i COULD get one where i could set up my nordvpn account directly on it, great; if not, not a deal breaker.

So, given all that .. I'm looking for a replacement router. Not sure of budget but I'd like it to be reasonable. The house isnt hugr but the opposite ends and loft have almost no service. I have one wireless extender but it did nothing. I have read about nest systems (like the google one) but not sure if they fot my needs (to be fair, im such a dumdum with this stuff). I've read a bunch but my head is swimming. Not sure if a router with extenders OR a nest system is a better option.

Anywho, I'll stop here and if you have questions, more than happy to answer.

Thanks a bunch :)
Recently upgraded my two existing routers (D-Link DIR-859) ... had one on the second floor at the front of the house and a second one on the mainfloor in the living room at the back of the house.

House is 1800 sf detached.

Replaced them both with the Huawei AX3 Pro (Quad Core) WiFi 6 Routers.

SWEET! Amazing signal strength!

I was at my neighbour's backyard (5 houses down ... approximately 200 feet away) ... was still connected strongly on the Huawei router (2.4GHz connection) that is in my living room in the back of the house.

No complaints at all! It's a great router ... and the 5GHz connection in the living room for our devices was unbelievably fast!
16' x 11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling w/ a 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2141 posts
779 upvotes
Toronto
jdmfishingonly wrote: Replaced them both with the Huawei AX3 Pro (Quad Core) WiFi 6 Routers.
Just curious, but where did you order Huawei routers from? Are you using them as wifi extenders or just access points? Thanks.

I never knew Huawei made routers but it makes sense since they develop 5G tech. I wonder if there's any spyware in the routers.. Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1437 posts
102 upvotes
If you have wired connections to the TVs, you could get a cheap router to use as an access point. You unplug the TV ethernet cord and plug it into that router and plug the TV into the access point. Your existing router could do this, but you'ld have to know which things to turn off.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9562 posts
2157 upvotes
Winnipeg
ds2chan wrote: Just curious, but where did you order Huawei routers from? Are you using them as wifi extenders or just access points? Thanks.

I never knew Huawei made routers but it makes sense since they develop 5G tech. I wonder if there's any spyware in the routers.. Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
wouldn't touch that myself but mostly due to they locked the boot loader so no 3rd party its chinese language router.

the op needs like edge-x lite with openwrt or nanopi r2s is much better and use "cake" or sqm cake etc. Thats a must for a 25/1 isp package for bufferbloat and load balancing. Th no brainer router that does it right easy is a IQrouter but they are pricey. But your on satelite and unlike the rest of whats marketed hype and don't disclose well these guys run cake and let you know before hand they have done whats possible and what to expect.
They clearly mention right where you click buy"- this important info for the op:
* Sorry satellite data users, the latency of the round-trip to space is not correctable. WISP's and LTE variable latencies are not fully correctable.
https://evenroute.com/products

so other than it and diy openwrt with say an edge-x for sub 100 mbps cake or a nanopi r2s(needs a gigabit switch tho for more lan ports) for 500 mpbs and cake. I see no simple way or buy this that could help better due to the style of isp. Wifi comes with it but you can also expand with ap of anything if needed for more coverage and your rural so congestion should not be an issue.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3645 posts
1035 upvotes
Oshawa
ds2chan wrote: Just curious, but where did you order Huawei routers from? Are you using them as wifi extenders or just access points? Thanks.

https://www.router-switch.com/huawei-wi ... outer.html

What's there to be afraid of that can be stolen from your computers at home?
16' x 11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling w/ a 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2141 posts
779 upvotes
Toronto
jdmfishingonly wrote: https://www.router-switch.com/huawei-wi ... outer.html

What's there to be afraid of that can be stolen from your computers at home?
Wow. That's pretty cheap.

We all have personal info on our computers, such as resumes, pictures, etc. We shop online and enter in our CC info, log into PayPal, etc. Anyways, I was just making a joke. I don't know what's going on with the US and Huawei anyways. For us outsiders it'll all be assumptions and he said, she said stuff.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3645 posts
1035 upvotes
Oshawa
ds2chan wrote: Wow. That's pretty cheap.

We all have personal info on our computers, such as resumes, pictures, etc. We shop online and enter in our CC info, log into PayPal, etc. Anyways, I was just making a joke. I don't know what's going on with the US and Huawei anyways. For us outsiders it'll all be assumptions and he said, she said stuff.
IMO ... not worried at all ... have a firewall installed on your machines.

Good enough.

If people are so scared of Huawei ... why then are all the carriers still selling Huawei phones? They should just be ripped off the shelves and tossed out. Mind you ... it's only them saying Huawei stealing information ... ummmm .... could that be the same with Apple as well? (they are made in china as well) ... It's a topic for another thread ... nobody will ever know the truth about "spying" ... to each their own.

Use whatever brand you choose ... I just feel that it's always a one way street ... Americans blaming China that they steal this and steal that ... but they stick their noses into everything that happens half way around the world anyways ... like you said ... he said she said.

Whatever.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2015
233 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thank you very much for all the info folks.

Those huawii do look nice but all chinese? Sure google translate but im not sure i know enough about networking to try and set them up while translating lol id be so lost

As for the service type, yeah, latency is sometimes an issue but overall, its not bad. Wifi worked decently well in the cocerage area until about 2 weeks ago. Yeah some areas in the house had no signal but the areas that did, were pretty good. The last two weeks im resetting the router constantly as the wifi goes out. When i test the soeed on a wired pc, its fine. So it has to be the router borking out.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2015
233 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone have any thoughts on the Ubiquiti Ampli-Fi Mesh system?

My buddy told me to check it out. Seems awesome. For $400, the router and two meshed AP's appear to be what I am looking for. Reviews online seems fantastic as well.