Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
240 upvotes
Markham

Wireless speaker recommendation

Looking to invest in a speakerbox that I can use when I travel to the cottage, or have people over in the yard, etc. Spending a max of $300, but ideally in the $150-200 range.

Bluetooth would be great but it's not a deal breaker. Aux cable works fine, the main thing is it work while plugged in or on a rechargeable battery. if you can make a recommendation it would be greatly appreciated!
Be Happy
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Check out the Logitech Ultimate Ears series. These ones are very versatile with water resistance, a tripod mount, d-ring mount for hanging, aux in, Bluetooth, and all the other accoutrements.

I have the UE Megaboom and I am quite happy with it.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
240 upvotes
Markham
Jucius Maximus wrote: Check out the Logitech Ultimate Ears series. These ones are very versatile with water resistance, a tripod mount, d-ring mount for hanging, aux in, Bluetooth, and all the other accoutrements.

hmmm interesting. I'll check it out. I'm assuming you control it all with your smart phone/music device?
Be Happy
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
beachdude wrote: I'm assuming you control it all with your smart phone/music device?
Right.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
2228 posts
2152 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Bose Soundlink Mini II.

Just trust me on this one.

Heres a vid comparing the first gen model. Second gen has longer battery life (10 hrs) and a few other improvements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ca62UzKaU

You wont understand until you actually use one, its awesome.

Best buy, The Source and Amazon sell the new version.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
I'm really happy with my JBL Charge, and the Charge 2 sounds great as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
240 upvotes
Markham
Jucius Maximus wrote: Check out the Logitech Ultimate Ears series. These ones are very versatile with water resistance, a tripod mount, d-ring mount for hanging, aux in, Bluetooth, and all the other accoutrements.

I've checked a ton of them, and I think i'm going with this one. I've had Logitech in the past & I was happy with it. Do you know any retail places I can score one from?
Be Happy
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
beachdude wrote: I've checked a ton of them, and I think i'm going with this one. I've had Logitech in the past & I was happy with it. Do you know any retail places I can score one from?
Best Buy.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26013 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
There are so many choices, especially at that price point or less. Just within the last couple days on RFD, there were threads about the Braven from Shop.ca, and the Harman Kardon Onyx Studio from Amazon.ca.
Mar 4, 2015
401 posts
41 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Head to Amazon! Also Anything Bose is always great. Expensive but great!
Jun 10, 2008
99 posts
76 upvotes
Depends on what your tolerance for proper sound is. If all you want is background noise, or party noise, your budget will get you 95% of what's out there. It gets a lot more difficult if you want your speaker to give you a more balanced and realistic audio quality. What you might not know is that a fair percentage of the more popular speakers like the much touted Bose use built in electronic equalization to fatten the sound to give it a "satisfying" quality, and I use the term satisfying loosely. I'm old enough to remember many of the stereos from the 70's used a "loudness" button, which basically turned up the bass and treble fully with a single click. Sounded good for about 5 minutes, but got tiring to the ears quickly. Lots of bass seems to be what most bluetooth speaker manufacturers are trying to achieve, and many consumers want that. The Bose soundlink will give you a ton of bass, but in reality, if you were to go to a properly designed performing arts venue and the concert sounded anything like the over emphasized bass and treble the Bose puts out, you would run screaming for the exits.

Go to Youtube and search for a guy called Clavinetjunkie. He obviously has a lot of money and time on his hands, but he very thoroughly reviews a ton of wireless speakers and records and posts their sound with a quality microphone. Make sure you have or borrow a good set of headphones and listen to and read the reviews carefully. Avoid anyone on youtube who reviews speakers using their cellphone microphones. Finally, if you're not really fussy, just buy the Bose soundlink. It's at least a very well built unit and will impress the uninitated who believe the marketing hype that Bose is somehow synonymous with quality sound.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
5156 posts
1315 upvotes
London
Can't go wrong with either the Megaboom or the Soundlink Mini that have already been mentioned. I have both, and love them. I prefer the Megaboom though because the battery life is much better and because of the 360 degree sound.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)