Home & Garden

Wireless Transmit Coax Cable Signal to Garage TV?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2020 7:37 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1065 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto

Wireless Transmit Coax Cable Signal to Garage TV?

I have a TV in the garage. I want to attach my basic Rogers digital adapter (Cisco DTA50) to it to get basic SDTV in the garage while i work, Unfortunately the coax cable that the digital adapter requires does not reach to the garage.

Is there a cheap way (under $30) to wirelessly transmit the coax cable signal to the digital adapter in the garage? For the record the digital adapter has its own remote and so all i need is just a constant coax cable signal to the digital adapter to replicate what is already happening in my wired living room, unless i'm missing something.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8427 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
COAX signals cannot be transmitted wirelessly.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
It will be a lot cheaper to just run coax to the garage.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1176 posts
1794 upvotes
scarborough
have you thought about getting a firestick or googlecast and stream your service provider
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
People still have cableTV? You must cut the cord! Literally... Running coax to the garage seems pretty archaic.

Get yourself an android set top box, shop Kijiji for an IPTV service, use your wifi, enjoy 1,000's of TV channels and on-demand content in your garage.

/Thread
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
4995 upvotes
Toronto
Don't pretty much all the TV providers (Rogers, Shaw, Bell, Cogeco etc) offer wireless set top boxes these days? Call your cable company and get them to swap out your 1990's tuners.

By now if you pay for TV, you should have a 'whole home' PVR and wireless set top boxes for other TV's. Chances are it will work fine in your garage.

The DTA50 is a device that just lets you use the tuner in the TV to select your channels. It's super basic. You need a proper set top box connected to an HDMI input on your TV, or coax probably tuned to a channel (3 or 4 maybe?).

Anyhow - call your TV company and get them to set you up. Heck, they'd probably run coax to your garage for you. Many TV packages come with a certain number of coax outlets and the installers don't generally care where you want them.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately, there's nothing for under $30. I'm assuming it's a detached garage some distance away?

- Wireless transmitters of video signals exist, but aren't cheap.
- If you don't already have wifi in the garage (to use streaming services or Rogers' wifi "boxes"), a mesh wifi system would be more than $30. I assume you're on a relatively cheap and basic plan, so upgrading the Rogers equipment would be expensive and require an ungraded package.

Easiest thing to do is to extend the coax cable. Figure out where you want to run it (buried, along a fence, in the air, etc.) and measure a purchase a length of RG6 cable and a good splitter. Split the cable in your home and plug it into your new cable and TV and see if the signal is fine along that distance. If so, then you can drill a hole in your house and another in the garage and run the cable. If the cable isn't shielded from UV rays, it might only last a few years, but that might be all you need before you change to another system.

Alternatively, if you just want something in the background while you work in the garage, look at over-the-air TV signals. Here's the rabbitears map for London: LINK

Expect to get the green signals with a basic antenna. Looks like you'll get CTV easily and OMNIs, TVO and YES if you point it more SW.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
I think @torontotim has the best suggestion: see if you can get a wireless set top box from your TV provider, hope that they'll throw it in for free, and hope that your WiFi signal reaches to the garage.

Other than that, the only solution under $30 is to go buy yourself a longer coax cable and string it to the garage. Is that impossible for some reason?

There are other solutions:

- I have tried a wireless TV transmitter in the past. These operate in the 2.4 GHz band shared by everything, so interference is a common issue with these transmitters. So not under $30, and likely to have interference problems.
- Something like a Slingbox that re-transmits video from you cable box over the internet to their app on the receiving end. Solution way over $30.
- I have an old Archer Rabbit TV transmitter system that transmits video over a tiny wire that's easy to string anywhere and tuck out of sight, up to 150'. Bonus - transmits IR signals back the other way to control the source. Hasn't been sold since the 1980s, but you can still find them on Ebay.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
if u want cable wirelessly in the garage for cheap, then you aren't going to get it with rogers. maybe bell but you would have to cancell your rogers service and go with bell, fibe tv, their set top box is wireless, even if you get their basic $25 starter tier but you have to pay rental on your set top boxes unless you bundle it with a bunch of overpriced stuff like high speed internet or cell phone, etc but its still a good alternative to rogers
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
you will need to run a new longer RG6 Cale (Coaxial) But if you are going to do that you better also run a Cat6 cable for internet and future need as I'm sure you will need it.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1156 posts
360 upvotes
Just get a slingbox and watch on iPad or laptop or phone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)