Wireless Wave

Fido Internet 50% off and $50 accessory credit

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2021 2:53 pm
Feb 9, 2007
313 posts
224 upvotes
Scarborough
When is this offer going to expire? My current contract with other company still have 3 weeks to go.
nabeeltech wrote: This offer is only for Fido Wireless customers. If anyone is looking for this deal I can help you.
Jan 21, 2010
475 posts
564 upvotes
Brantford
I just spoke to Fido online chat about renewing the discount on my 50% off 150u line which I signed up for last September with the gift card promo. According to the agent the best he could do was $35 off the new price of $85/mo, so $50+tax/mo.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5265 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
Moved from $45/month 150U to $42.5/month 150U (50% off) via online chat. Looks like I'm settled for another 12 months. Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2062 posts
1869 upvotes
Ottawa
jfd3220 wrote: I just spoke to Fido online chat about renewing the discount on my 50% off 150u line which I signed up for last September with the gift card promo. According to the agent the best he could do was $35 off the new price of $85/mo, so $50+tax/mo.
Try, try again.

I've found Fido online chat reps have a bit of leeway. Some of them use it, some of them don't.

Personally, we've been having reliability issues with Fido lately. Our connection randomly drops for a couple minutes a few times week, which is horribly irritating when in an MS Teams call. My wife has an offer for $45/month ($35/month bill credit for 12 months) for Virgin 100/10, so debating doing the dance with Fido or jumping to Virgin.

If I can convince Virgin to come drop a fibre, it'll be Virgin.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2682 posts
1848 upvotes
GTA
Dynatos wrote: If I can convince Virgin to come drop a fibre, it'll be Virgin.
Absolutely no chance of this happening. Fido(Bell) will do a neighborhood or an apartment building at the very least. This is besides the fact the front line reps who take your call have no say in where fibre is laid. Neither would their managers or anyone else that takes your call.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2062 posts
1869 upvotes
Ottawa
Britex wrote: Absolutely no chance of this happening. Fido(Bell) will do a neighborhood or an apartment building at the very least. This is besides the fact the front line reps who take your call have no say in where fibre is laid. Neither would their managers or anyone else that takes your call.
Fido is Rogers.
Virgin is Bell.

Just like Fido, Virgin does not have techs. When Virgin deploys a tech to do an install, they deploy a Bell tech. If I sign up for 100/10 and don't have a bonded twisted pair line, they'll need to deploy a tech to be able to meet the 100/10 committment. At that point, they either spend an hour setting up a new local loop on the old and obsolete copper, or they spend an hour to drop a fibre cable from the line running behind my house and potentially suck me into FTTH services with Bell in a year.

I wouldn't say there's no chance.

Edit: Peruse this.
Last edited by Dynatos on Sep 2nd, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 5, 2011
572 posts
228 upvotes
Also on Fido 150U for $37.50. Anyone able to extend their existing promotion without having to cancel?

I don't mind giving up the gift card to avoid all the headaches...
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1681 posts
444 upvotes
GTA
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Did you actually get the 150 gc?
Yes I got the gift card for each of the 3 separate family members I signed up for this plan.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2583 posts
1074 upvotes
North York
ArchEnemy wrote: Also on Fido 150U for $37.50. Anyone able to extend their existing promotion without having to cancel?

I don't mind giving up the gift card to avoid all the headaches...
I'm on chat right now and they are telling me the best they can do is 50 per month plus 8 dollar modem rental so I'm setting a cancellation date.
Aug 5, 2011
572 posts
228 upvotes
quazy wrote: I'm on chat right now and they are telling me the best they can do is 50 per month plus 8 dollar modem rental so I'm setting a cancellation date.
Thanks. I might have to sign up using a family member's name then.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2583 posts
1074 upvotes
North York
ArchEnemy wrote: Thanks. I might have to sign up using a family member's name then.
Last time this happened they magically called the day before cancellation and offered the discount.

This time he tried to get me to move my account to someone else who would like the 50 dollar for 75u deal and I'm like lol what? Why would any new customer take a worse deal than the offer you provide all new customers? I think I got an inexperienced agent..
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
2992 posts
525 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm on Virgin 50/10 in Ottawa. When my whole family is using in 2x WFH and 2xSchooling it drops all the time.

That is why i'm looking for the 150u deal from Fido

There is no Virgin option for 100/10 in my area :(
Dynatos wrote: Try, try again.

I've found Fido online chat reps have a bit of leeway. Some of them use it, some of them don't.

Personally, we've been having reliability issues with Fido lately. Our connection randomly drops for a couple minutes a few times week, which is horribly irritating when in an MS Teams call. My wife has an offer for $45/month ($35/month bill credit for 12 months) for Virgin 100/10, so debating doing the dance with Fido or jumping to Virgin.

If I can convince Virgin to come drop a fibre, it'll be Virgin.
Pepsi WEH Winner - 4 for 5
Didn't win a Xbox X.. but next best thing. Scored at the Brick for $249! $300 off!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4362 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
jfd3220 wrote: I just spoke to Fido online chat about renewing the discount on my 50% off 150u line which I signed up for last September with the gift card promo. According to the agent the best he could do was $35 off the new price of $85/mo, so $50+tax/mo.
I chatted with Fido a few weeks ago, the agent is firm for $60 + tax. :-(
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2062 posts
1869 upvotes
Ottawa
freakx2001 wrote: I'm on Virgin 50/10 in Ottawa. When my whole family is using in 2x WFH and 2xSchooling it drops all the time.

That is why i'm looking for the 150u deal from Fido

There is no Virgin option for 100/10 in my area :(
You must be on FTTN, then. FTTN is VDSL2 (copper for the last mile). The speed with VDSL2 is very dependent on distance to the DSLAM. The further you are from the node, the harder it is to meet a full 50/10 on a single copper pair.

You'd see much better results on FTTH, which isn't slave to distance. Whether you're 100m or 20km from the OLT, you'll see the same performance.

But Bell might not have FTTH in your area yet, especially if Virgin is only offering you 50/10 (which means your copper line is probably crap and they can't bond 2 pairs either). You can easily check FTTH availability using an address search on Bell's website.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2583 posts
1074 upvotes
North York
rui wrote: I chatted with Fido a few weeks ago, the agent is firm for $60 + tax. :-(
Why not just cancel and then sign up under a different name?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2006
1064 posts
167 upvotes
Markham
They can't do it, giving me the same bs new activations only and only willing to give $25 off
Oct 11, 2018
42 posts
26 upvotes
Spoke with retention and cancellation department. No luck. The best they did was $30 off 75u, so $45 a month. Anyone know how much work it would be to cancel and activate again? Assuming I have to send the equipment back and wait for them to send the new one.
Last edited by RichardH17067 on Sep 2nd, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1516 posts
580 upvotes
GTA
Dynatos wrote: They likely can't create a new account for the same name at the same address, but they certainly can create a new account for a new name.
I was able to open a new account with the same name, same address, different email address at Walmart. I did not tell them I already had an existing account and it went through smoothly without a glitch. They use a different activation portal if that makes a difference.