• Jul 14th, 2019 1:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1870 posts
658 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Wiring 120V to central vacuum outlet

The house I bought a couple of years ago has a central vacuum unit that only is only wired for 24V. Though the unit has the powered rug beater head, the people that had the house built (or reportedly more-specifically, the male of the couple) were too cheap to wire the outlets for 120V. Access to outlets isn't too bad (either unfinished wall behind) or should be easy to run up a wire. How does one wire these outlets? 120V straight to each outlet with a common circuit breaker for all?
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4649 posts
589 upvotes
Calgary
Why would you run them all back to a single breaker. Just stub into the nearest outlet. You know you dont need to build 120V into the vacuum outlet - just have a power outlet near the vacuum outlet?
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4139 posts
1649 upvotes
Mississauga
What a weird setup. Our central vac outlets were roughed in with a 120V receptacle either next to them or close by.
Nov 30, 2011
953 posts
355 upvotes
GTA
mrweather wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 4:06 pm
What a weird setup. Our central vac outlets were roughed in with a 120V receptacle either next to them or close by.
You had a builder that was top drawer! Most new builds don't automatically come with a plug beside where the vac canister would hang - despite being code. I had to force my builder to put one in after going through conciliation. Sounds like OP didn't/doesn't have a plug beside the vac canister and original owner rigged something together to make due (which clearly isn't working for OP).
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1759 posts
1070 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 3:13 pm
The house I bought a couple of years ago has a central vacuum unit that only is only wired for 24V. Though the unit has the powered rug beater head, the people that had the house built (or reportedly more-specifically, the male of the couple) were too cheap to wire the outlets for 120V. Access to outlets isn't too bad (either unfinished wall behind) or should be easy to run up a wire. How does one wire these outlets? 120V straight to each outlet with a common circuit breaker for all?
When you say outlets - do you mean your central vac outlet? Or a standard 120v outlet? You should NOT have 120v going to a standard central vac outlet, it's low voltage for safety reasons to turn the main vacuum on and off. The 120v for the accessories such as a power head is usually attached to a simple plug that you is attached to the hose and gets plugged in when used.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1870 posts
658 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The vacuum unit is an Aerus / Electrolux that does have 120VAC in the vacuum outlet as well as 24VDC if configured to run the powered brush. No plug in cord on the hose (I've seen/used those). The hose plugs in with two small pins into the 120VAC tap.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6405 posts
2853 upvotes
Paris
thriftshopper wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 2:03 am
The vacuum unit is an Aerus / Electrolux that does have 120VAC in the vacuum outlet as well as 24VDC if configured to run the powered brush. No plug in cord on the hose (I've seen/used those). The hose plugs in with two small pins into the 120VAC tap.
Every central vac I have seen the pins are for the 24vdc to turn vac on and off. 99% it’s against code to have 24vdc and 120ac in the same box.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4139 posts
1649 upvotes
Mississauga
westcoastyvr wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 6:25 pm
You had a builder that was top drawer! Most new builds don't automatically come with a plug beside where the vac canister would hang - despite being code. I had to force my builder to put one in after going through conciliation.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear but the central vac roughed-in outlets (first floor, second floor) have 120V plugs either right next to the outlet or nearby (actually for the second floor directly opposite the outlet on the hallway wall).

I install my central vac myself and mounted the main vacuum unit itself in the garage. Turned out the best spot also had a 120V plug nearby so getting the power to the unit was dead simple.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4139 posts
1649 upvotes
Mississauga
Jerico wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 3:34 am
Every central vac I have seen the pins are for the 24vdc to turn vac on and off. 99% it’s against code to have 24vdc and 120ac in the same box.
Every central vac I’ve seen has low voltage on the pins in the wall outlet opening to turn the vacuum unit on/off. I’ve never heard of the pins carrying 120V and it certainly wouldn’t be to code.

The central vac beater bar has a separate 120V cord that plugs into a standard 120V wall plug.
Jan 23, 2015
822 posts
334 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Central vacs have inlet ports, not outlets! I've seen what OP is talking about in some of the houses I've worked in.

Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4139 posts
1649 upvotes
Mississauga
How common is this configuration? Sounds kinda sketchy having 120V in a fixture without a ground.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4649 posts
589 upvotes
Calgary
As Bianco posted above. Modern outlets have the combined 120v for the power bar as well as the switch contacts for the canister motor. perfectly legal and perfectly normal despite all the protestations above.

OP says all he has on the wall is the switch and suction - no power for the power bar. So he needs to replace his wall fixtures with the ones in Biancos post. And run 120v from the nearest point to each outlet.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1870 posts
658 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I have the system similar to the illustrations Bianco13 posted - 24 VDC is on the tube to provide on/off power and 120 VAC is supplied via pins for the power head. It isn't that new (at least a couple of decades) and I've seen these units in home building thrift shops. Aerus was the old Electrolux vacuum cleaner manufacturer (long-ago spin-off of the Electrolux from the appliance company which owns Frigidaire).

See page 9 on this guide. http://www.aerushome.com/Warranty/Manua ... lation.pdf

I am hoping the outlets (or inlets) weren't glued on as removing and replacing the tubing will be a major PITA.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1759 posts
1070 upvotes
Cough wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 11:58 am
As Bianco posted above. Modern outlets have the combined 120v for the power bar as well as the switch contacts for the canister motor. perfectly legal and perfectly normal despite all the protestations above.

OP says all he has on the wall is the switch and suction - no power for the power bar. So he needs to replace his wall fixtures with the ones in Biancos post. And run 120v from the nearest point to each outlet.
If what you're saying is correct - in that there is 120v at the central vac outlet, then when it was installed it should have been connected then. So the OP has a breaker that's off or similar. I can't see someone going to the trouble of installing a central vac system and leaving out the required power to run the power head or other accessories.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1870 posts
658 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
fusion2k2k wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 1:04 pm
If what you're saying is correct - in that there is 120v at the central vac outlet, then when it was installed it should have been connected then. So the OP has a breaker that's off or similar. I can't see someone going to the trouble of installing a central vac system and leaving out the required power to run the power head or other accessories.
See it.

The person (a nationality known for thriftiness and blunt directness (so it isn't who you think it might be) had the house built acted as his own GC and put everything to tender for the lowest bid. Yes, he had the central vac system installed w/o the power sockets which come in at least two flavours: one that has the 120VAC inputs and wiring, and one that doesn't. I know I have the latter as the 120 VAC pin sockets are missing from my outlets (the 120VAC power inlet for the house is simply turned 180 degrees if not in use). Lot of other head (or other bodily parts) scratching decisions made. He did have a rationale: House has all hard floor surfaces so technically the beater bar would not be necessary, but he didn't take into consideration having to vacuum rugs.