• Aug 7th, 2017 2:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8124 posts
2077 upvotes
Ottawa

Wiring for a new build home

Hello! Need the community's advice about wiring/rough-ins. By default, I get 7 cable or phone/network jacks. It also says jacks can be combined into a single, double, triple or quad faceplate. The home is unfinished in the basement. Is 7 ports enough? Home is two-stories and 2.6k sqft. I'd like to avoid going through the builder for extras like this but I also want to weigh in the options if one were to do it after.

I have the same questions for a tv rough-in($350) and security system rough-in($180).

I should've researched this earlier so I'm sorta last min as I have to finalize by the end of the week!
52 replies
Banned
Jul 24, 2017
49 posts
27 upvotes
just figure out where you want a tv and phone jack and there you go.
same thing with the security system. either you want one or not. or you want one later and regret cheaping out on the rough in.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1067 posts
732 upvotes
GTA
If you use bell Fibe, I'm pretty sure one reciever is the main which sends signals all over to the others.

Most cordless phones use a base and the rest plug into a wall.

I would definitely get cat6 in as many places so you can place your router anywhere for better coverage.

Also place the majority of the jacks in the second floor as you can run them later to the main floor if your basement is unfinished.

Hope it make sense what I wrote!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8124 posts
2077 upvotes
Ottawa
I won't have a landline, but do I need a phone jack if I were to go with DSL internet? I'm unsure how everything looks in the basement. Are there going to be 7 wires hanging - kinda lost about this. Security system, I would install later, but is a rough-in recommended for good value?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8124 posts
2077 upvotes
Ottawa
bostonontario wrote: Also place the majority of the jacks in the second floor as you can run them later to the main floor if your basement is unfinished.

Hope it make sense what I wrote!
Can you elaborate? Wouldn't 2nd floor jacks all run directly to the basement via a long pipe(conduit)?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12156 posts
7348 upvotes
Paris
Rough in 60amp panel to garage for future workshop or electric car charger.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1067 posts
732 upvotes
GTA
All the communication wires would be left loose in the walls and just drilled through the wood framing.

I was trying to say that running any jack to the upstairs would be harder than running them to the first floor area because the basement ceiling isn't finished.

Bell would take care of that install for the DSL. They probably ran wires to the demarcation point at base of meter or into a spot near the electrical panel or your network panel as some builders do that.

Running wires is a snap

The electrical panel subpanel makes sense if you have an electric vehicle coming.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36399 posts
9627 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jeeva86 wrote: Can you elaborate? Wouldn't 2nd floor jacks all run directly to the basement via a long pipe(conduit)?
@BostonOntario is giving you sound advice. Run all the free cables to the second floor. There is no conduit unless you pay for it. Even if you pay, they run the cables outside of the conduit.

The reason for the second floor, it is harder to run cable from the second floor to the basement. But very easy to run a cable from basement to main floor if you have access to the ceiling in the basement.

Most cable contractors will run the cable to the basement at the fuse panel and just tape it up. Unless you pay to have the cables terminated.

Avoid running any phone jacks. Just use your free jacks for CAT6. Since all your equipment will be in the basement, the DSL can sit in the basement too.

For the TV rough in, put one jack on the main floor above the fireplace. I hope that $350 includes an electrical outlet. Ideally, you will want 3 or 4 jacks above the fireplace. TV, consoles, HTPC etc.
Last edited by Gee on Aug 2nd, 2017 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5889 posts
2279 upvotes
Kanata
Put conduits in each room and decide what you'll do with the wiring later. There's much more flexibility with conduits. I am able to run not only network cables, but hdmi cables for security camera viewing. It's about $100 per conduit through the builder. You'll pay $50 per cat5e pull through the builder anyway.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36399 posts
9627 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Tabooger wrote: Put conduits in each room and decide what you'll do with the wiring later. There's much more flexibility with conduits. I am able to run not only network cables, but hdmi cables for security camera viewing. It's about $100 per conduit through the builder. You'll pay $50 per cat5e pull through the builder anyway.
$50? My builder wanted $125 per drop for CAT6

They charged me $1200 for a conduit pipe running from the attic to the basement. There was no option to run conduit from each room and frankly, I'm not sure how you can do that unless the rooms are next to each other or you have bends in the conduit.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13019 posts
7809 upvotes
Brampton
Gee wrote: $50? My builder wanted $125 per drop for CAT6

They charged me $1200 for a conduit pipe running from the attic to the basement. There was no option to run conduit from each room and frankly, I'm not sure how you can do that unless the rooms are next to each other or you have bends in the conduit.
$1200? Man they really up the cost on things these days.

All you really need is 1 conduit to the attic then just pull wire and strings to the room. 2 CAT6 with 3 pieces of nylon twine all electrical taped together and pull.
Last edited by tebore on Aug 2nd, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 14, 2007
373 posts
47 upvotes

You can have bends in the conduit. Just use a vacuum to suck a plastic bag tied to a line. It will pull it all the way. That's what I did.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36399 posts
9627 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tebore wrote: $1200? Man they really up the cost on things these days.

All you really need is 1 conduit to the attic then just pull wire and strings to the room. 2 CAT6 with 3 pieces of nylon twine all electrical taped together and pull.
The builder was cheap too. Only used a 1.5" PVC pipe. I want to run a lot of cable and I would have preferred a bigger pipe.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13019 posts
7809 upvotes
Brampton
Gee wrote: The builder was cheap too. Only used a 1.5" PVC pipe. I want to run a lot of cable and I would have preferred a bigger pipe.
1.5"? That's tough.

And that's what she said.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2047 posts
1099 upvotes
Alberta
My buddy just had a house build, if nothing else, do the ethernet drops to everywhere where you may want a security camera. He had his roughed in, so the cable was just hanging out. We installed POE cameras and he is up and running. There is no way you will get a cheaper cleaner install down the line if it's something you are into. Conduit is nice, but it's usually just one that runs all the way down to the basement from the attic, that's what my friend got as well. It's useful in the future if you need to run most stuff upstairs, but you would have to crawl in your attic space and drill down into walls.
Banned
Aug 1, 2017
19 posts
9 upvotes
the hammer

losani does that as standard in all their houses. $1200 damn
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Are you in the GTA? I offer free consultations on how to do all of this.. what you should do through a builder and what can be done afterwards.
I have seen so many people in the past end up with stuff that just doesn't make sense.
Bring me your drawings and we mark them up.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
BuildingHomes wrote: Are you in the GTA? I offer free consultations on how to do all of this.. what you should do through a builder and what can be done afterwards.
I have seen so many people in the past end up with stuff that just doesn't make sense.
Bring me your drawings and we mark them up.
An offer that cannot (should not) be refused. :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8124 posts
2077 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the offer but I'm in Ottawa :(. I'm still confused about the things discussed here:

- conduit from basement to attic -> I think this is really pricey anyways so probably won't do it
- putting all the jacks on the upper floor -> is this so that you can fish wires from the top to the bottom floors?

Let's say I make all 7 jacks into Ethernet, how will I get Rogers/Bell service?

Added images of the rough ins. I guess I should put an Ethernet jack behind the tv.

https://ibb.co/byDywa
https://ibb.co/jBGJwa
https://ibb.co/bzzGhF
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8124 posts
2077 upvotes
Ottawa
Dumb question...what if I put an ethernet and receptacle behind the tv instead of the conduit? I use media players such as the Google Nexus Player and alike, which can stick right behind the TV. The conduit is probably more worth it for having a receiver, dvd/console, or cable tv box?