PC & Video Games

Witcher 3 if I loved Skyrim but hated DA:I?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2015 10:23 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2028 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Witcher 3 if I loved Skyrim but hated DA:I?

I love single player RPGs, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age 1+2, but I hated Dragon Age Inquisition even after completing 50% of the storyline, it just seemed too slow and the story just didn't interest me. I poured 60 hours into Skyrim before starting the main quest.

Do you think the Witcher 3 is something I would like? The reason I ask is because I couldn't get into the Witcher 1 or 2 either and am wondering in what ways the Witcher has departed from the first witcher games and how it is more like Skyrim.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
the combat, dialog and quest design are actually good, so no it's nothing like Skyrim ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3488 upvotes
Victoria
I've played Witcher 3 and having a hard time getting into it. I loved Skyrim, DA: 1, 2 an 3, Kingdoms of Amalur etc.....

Same thing happened when I tried to player Witcher 2.... had a really hard time getting into it. Never did get far. Everyone loves the witcher series though, so it's just me :)
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
chevyz07 wrote: I love single player RPGs, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age 1+2, but I hated Dragon Age Inquisition even after completing 50% of the storyline, it just seemed too slow and the story just didn't interest me. I poured 60 hours into Skyrim before starting the main quest.

Do you think the Witcher 3 is something I would like? The reason I ask is because I couldn't get into the Witcher 1 or 2 either and am wondering in what ways the Witcher has departed from the first witcher games and how it is more like Skyrim.
I finished Inquisition recently and did not enjoy it (I ended up using cheats/trainer to brute force my way through the filler). I've heard Witcher 3 is on a whole different level, but honestly, after 54 hours of Inquisition, I feel like I don't want to touch another Western RPG for a while.

I've only tried Witcher 2, played for about 2 hours, never went back. Did not like the combat system at all (I've read that part 3 has improved it but it's still a weaker part of an otherwise really good package).

But keep in mind I am a big Bloodborne/Dark Souls fan, so to me most combat systems feel lacking compared to those. ;)
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Oct 11, 2012
415 posts
386 upvotes
Winnipeg
chevyz07 wrote: I love single player RPGs, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age 1+2, but I hated Dragon Age Inquisition even after completing 50% of the storyline, it just seemed too slow and the story just didn't interest me. I poured 60 hours into Skyrim before starting the main quest.

I can't recommend the witcher 3 enough, i have always hated all the dragon age games even though i loved mass effect and skyrim, they felt relt slow to me.

My friends who normally don't like games like skyrim or mass effect have gotten and are enjoying the hell out of it because the detailed world amazing story, with meaningful sidequests.

I like this game just beacuse of the fact this was the first game in two years that acutally did not let me down .I had acutally stopped gaming because of being underwhelmed and burned by a game i was looking forward to.

ps. There will be a lot of errors in this post, i am writing at 5 am in the morning, while barely keeping my eyes open.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
I loved Skyrim (250+ hours logged) and also mostly enjoyed DAI but did not love it. Witcher 3 is a blast, IMO it stomps both games solidly into the ground. It has way better world-building and immersion then Skyrim or DAI.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
2009 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
I also couldn't stand DA:I as well, mostly for the same reasons you mentioned. I love the Witcher 3 but I haven't played any of the previous ones though. The movement feels a bit clunky to me but it's not a game breaker.
Aug 20, 2009
9825 posts
5934 upvotes

It depends. Do you want everything centered around a playable character of your own making? In that case, no. If you don't mind RPing a bit as Geralt then yeah go for it. It's not really like Skyrim though, its quasi-open world and has more directed quests with better quality of design and writing. Without background on the story from the prior games you might be kinda lost and some events lose their impact. I suggest reading up on it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
The more I play this game, I can't get over how every little quest feels significant and interesting. Like the other day I stumbled on and triggered a "side quest" that ended up being a good 20-30 min episode about dealing with a warewolf that had great characters, dialog, varied gameplay and different outcomes and this had absolutely nothing to do with the main quest line. Even stuff like guarded treasure and monster nests have quirks about them that make them stand out and feel like they have a purpose.

Despite my earlier comment I actually enjoyed playing Skyrim and I enjoyed DA:I too but TW3 is really on a whole other level of fun
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: The more I play this game, I can't get over how every little quest feels significant and interesting. Like the other day I stumbled on and triggered a "side quest" that ended up being a good 20-30 min episode about dealing with a warewolf that had great characters, dialog, varied gameplay and different outcomes and this had absolutely nothing to do with the main quest line. Even stuff like guarded treasure and monster nests have quirks about them that make them stand out and feel like they have a purpose.
Agreed, the quests are excellent in TW3. There are a few where you can just stumble upon in the game world, it really rewards traveling and exploration, for example you can be galloping down a road to another village and stumble upon the wreckage of a wagon, examine and find clues and trigger a whole quest chain. Another one I stumbled upon going into a new town started out as a simple contract quest but things weren't quite on the level as you go through each step and the outcome of the quest is determined how you acted in a bunch of previous quests.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2028 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ReeGee wrote: the combat, dialog and quest design are actually good, so no it's nothing like Skyrim ;)
Ouch right in the knee... :)
zod wrote: I've played Witcher 3 and having a hard time getting into it. I loved Skyrim, DA: 1, 2 an 3, Kingdoms of Amalur etc.....

Same thing happened when I tried to player Witcher 2.... had a really hard time getting into it. Never did get far. Everyone loves the witcher series though, so it's just me :)
See I liked Amalur but not DA:I or W2.
Maximize wrote: I finished Inquisition recently and did not enjoy it (I ended up using cheats/trainer to brute force my way through the filler). I've heard Witcher 3 is on a whole different level, but honestly, after 54 hours of Inquisition, I feel like I don't want to touch another Western RPG for a while.

I've only tried Witcher 2, played for about 2 hours, never went back. Did not like the combat system at all (I've read that part 3 has improved it but it's still a weaker part of an otherwise really good package).

But keep in mind I am a big Bloodborne/Dark Souls fan, so to me most combat systems feel lacking compared to those. ;)
So you're a sadist, but towards yourself :)

mian95 wrote: I can't recommend the witcher 3 enough, i have always hated all the dragon age games even though i loved mass effect and skyrim, they felt relt slow to me.

My friends who normally don't like games like skyrim or mass effect have gotten and are enjoying the hell out of it because the detailed world amazing story, with meaningful sidequests.

I like this game just beacuse of the fact this was the first game in two years that acutally did not let me down .I had acutally stopped gaming because of being underwhelmed and burned by a game i was looking forward to.

ps. There will be a lot of errors in this post, i am writing at 5 am in the morning, while barely keeping my eyes open.
I installed the 2x walking speed mod on both DA1+2, maybe that's why the slow speed in DA:I (even compared to other RPGs) was magnified for me.
Winkle wrote: I loved Skyrim (250+ hours logged) and also mostly enjoyed DAI but did not love it. Witcher 3 is a blast, IMO it stomps both games solidly into the ground. It has way better world-building and immersion then Skyrim or DAI.
Redmask wrote: It depends. Do you want everything centered around a playable character of your own making? In that case, no. If you don't mind RPing a bit as Geralt then yeah go for it. It's not really like Skyrim though, its quasi-open world and has more directed quests with better quality of design and writing. Without background on the story from the prior games you might be kinda lost and some events lose their impact. I suggest reading up on it.
I don't quite get what you mean by quasi-open world, if you mean something like DA:I where there are different regions, but you can't walk seamlessly between one to another, then no, that could be a dealbreaker for me, depends though.
ReeGee wrote: The more I play this game, I can't get over how every little quest feels significant and interesting. Like the other day I stumbled on and triggered a "side quest" that ended up being a good 20-30 min episode about dealing with a warewolf that had great characters, dialog, varied gameplay and different outcomes and this had absolutely nothing to do with the main quest line. Even stuff like guarded treasure and monster nests have quirks about them that make them stand out and feel like they have a purpose.

Despite my earlier comment I actually enjoyed playing Skyrim and I enjoyed DA:I too but TW3 is really on a whole other level of fun
Now that is intriguing, tell me more.
Oct 11, 2012
415 posts
386 upvotes
Winnipeg
[IMG]http://game-maps.com/Witcher3/img/Witch ... ld-Map.jpg[/IMG]
The game is more like Assassins Crees in terms of its world only with two huge open worlds, with each of them being larger than gta v or about the same size, those two areas combined make it about 1.5 times bigger than gta v.

There is also a smaller open world for the tutorial with its own side quests and people have gotten well over 7-10 hours out of this area alone and it makes sense that the areas are separted because each area is a different country.

What makes the side quests so great that each side quest has its own purpose and descions made in these quests acutally carry over to the main plot. Side quests have consequences and the consequences are not obivious at all, until hours later sometimes. There is no good or bad descions in the game.

Minor spoiler below (random event that happened during free roam)

This was not a side quest, but just happened to me while i was roamming, where a priest insults me, so i was given some options to do something back. Anyway hours later, some guards come to arrest me for insulting their religion.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4481 posts
901 upvotes
Edmonton
Thus far I have played a day and not gotten past the first part of the story line. Instead ran around killing things and doing side quests. Some how as a lev 1 was taking on 3 and 4s.

Overall I am still confused but it's fun. I don't know what a masters item is. In battles my weapon actually wears out before I kill bosses might be because of my level. And almost never ride the horse. Just collect lots of weeds on the ground.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Max_Dealing wrote: Thus far I have played a day and not gotten past the first part of the story line. Instead ran around killing things and doing side quests. Some how as a lev 1 was taking on 3 and 4s.

Overall I am still confused but it's fun. I don't know what a masters item is. In battles my weapon actually wears out before I kill bosses might be because of my level. And almost never ride the horse. Just collect lots of weeds on the ground.
As long as an enemy is within 5 levels of you, you can safely take them on unless you have really, really bad gear.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
Im about 7-8 hours in.

Its a little more like skyrim. Its nothing like mass effect. I would say its a little similar to DA as well but storyline is much faster.

When I play RPG I want to feel like im wasting my time "productively". It sort of achieves that. Its fun but obviously its not as good as Skyrim.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote: Im about 7-8 hours in.

Its a little more like skyrim. Its nothing like mass effect. I would say its a little similar to DA as well but storyline is much faster.

When I play RPG I want to feel like im wasting my time "productively". It sort of achieves that. Its fun but obviously its not as good as Skyrim.
Id trade all the Morrowind series for the Witcher one on a whim. I found Skyrim to be great but have equally great flaws. Encumberance was stupidly managed game wide. Side quests apart for big story lines, were pointless, etc

I liked playing it, but after 100+ hours of running into a dungeon without the neccessary quest line, because i didnt know where to find it, and then having to run the dungeon again, i quit the game.

I found the DA game series to be more "fun" than skyrim, in an arcade way, and while more simple, they were better crafted in terms of attention to gameplay detail. DA2 being the sucky one. Skyrim might be a better game, but i like finishing my games and remembering the story. I remember witcher 2 somewhat. No idea about skyrim or the previous morrowind.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Buggy166 wrote: Id trade all the Morrowind series for the Witcher one on a whim. I found Skyrim to be great but have equally great flaws. Encumberance was stupidly managed game wide. Side quests apart for big story lines, were pointless, etc

I liked playing it, but after 100+ hours of running into a dungeon without the neccessary quest line, because i didnt know where to find it, and then having to run the dungeon again, i quit the game.

I found the DA game series to be more "fun" than skyrim, in an arcade way, and while more simple, they were better crafted in terms of attention to gameplay detail. DA2 being the sucky one. Skyrim might be a better game, but i like finishing my games and remembering the story. I remember witcher 2 somewhat. No idea about skyrim or the previous morrowind.
Skryim' biggest selling points are exploration and atmosphere. The story, dialog and combat are absolutely garbage compared to other games in the genre. Typical Skyrim quest : "I've lost item X that means so much to me. Please go to the Cave of Draugers and kill all the Draugers and bring back my item just like you did 10 times already". Oblivion had much better quest design and variety but still nowhere on par with DA:O or TW2 and especially not TW3. In my experience the only people who think Skyrim is some kind of amazing bar setting RPG are people who barely ever play RPGs to begin with.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)