• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2018 4:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1477 posts
80 upvotes

withdrawing money from atm in vietnam

I'm heading to vietnam soon and I have some worries about withdrawing money there from the atm's. I just called my bank (tangerine) to inquire about this and they weren't able to tell me which banks or atm's I can withdraw from. They said it needs to be an interect/cirrus atm. Did anyone experience any issues withdrawing money using a canadian debit card (i.e. tangerine) in vietnam? Also which banks offer higher withdrawal limits?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2823 posts
1010 upvotes
Montreal
wolf30 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 5:12 pm
I'm heading to vietnam soon and I have some worries about withdrawing money there from the atm's. I just called my bank (tangerine) to inquire about this and they weren't able to tell me which banks or atm's I can withdraw from. They said it needs to be an interect/cirrus atm. Did anyone experience any issues withdrawing money using a canadian debit card (i.e. tangerine) in vietnam? Also which banks offer higher withdrawal limits?
Interac doesn't exist outside Canada so it's pretty self explanatory.. just make sure the ATM you use has the Cirrus logo.

I've heard MB bank allows higher withdrawals.
Jan 31, 2007
405 posts
216 upvotes
I’ve had success using TD and CIBC cards. I always use either HSBC or ANZ (New Zealand) machines in Asia. Limit if I recall correctly in VIetnam was super low, like $1M VND = $50 CDN. You can use it multiple times in a row, but a transaction charge each time. That was over 6 years ago.

When I went this past March I brought cdn $100 bills. All new and crisp. No folds over the face of whoever is on the note. Just brought it into any bank and they exchanged it for VND. I use credit cards at hotels and major malls, no issues.
Jul 4, 2018
138 posts
199 upvotes
wolf30 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 5:12 pm
Some financial institutions also have visa debit cards which you should be able to take money out at atms displaying the Visa logo.

Withdrawal limits are set by the bank but can be changed when you call in or go to a branch to inquire. Max is around $2000 - 2500 cad equivalent per day (don't forget to include fees that you may be paying) and also the time difference
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2896 posts
548 upvotes
Vaughan
Whatever you do, just bring US dollars with you just in case the ATM doesn't work. Most places in the world will either accept US dollars or will change from US to whatever currency. Everywhere i travel, i carry USD just in case.

Just get some Vietnamese Dong here before you leave, so least you have some spending cash for food at least.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1477 posts
80 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 12:54 am
Whatever you do, just bring US dollars with you just in case the ATM doesn't work. Most places in the world will either accept US dollars or will change from US to whatever currency. Everywhere i travel, i carry USD just in case.

Just get some Vietnamese Dong here before you leave, so least you have some spending cash for food at least.
I thought bringing $CAD was fine in vietnam, unless things changed. I don't want to get dinged for converting to USD then having to pay again for converting back to dong.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2896 posts
548 upvotes
Vaughan
wolf30 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 1:46 am
I thought bringing $CAD was fine in vietnam, unless things changed. I don't want to get dinged for converting to USD then having to pay again for converting back to dong.
Not too sure about cdn cash, maybe others will chime in. Only been Vietnam once, and my cash was converted through a relative. Not sure if I changed cdn cash or USD because it was a long time ago, but pretty sure it was USD since I normally dont carry a lot of cdn cash on me when I travel.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2823 posts
1010 upvotes
Montreal
phuviano wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 12:54 am

Bad advice. You're losing money on the exchange (possibly twice if you don't go to the US/don't want to exchange it at a bad rate.)

Carry 2-3 cards and a small amount of canadian currency with you and there's no way you won't be able to get funds abroad.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5643 posts
760 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 2:17 am
Not too sure about cdn cash, maybe others will chime in. Only been Vietnam once, and my cash was converted through a relative. Not sure if I changed cdn cash or USD because it was a long time ago, but pretty sure it was USD since I normally dont carry a lot of cdn cash on me when I travel.
Not sure if you’re going to Hanoi but we started our trip there and easily exchanged canadian dollars at the silver shops in the old quarter. When that ran out we just used ATMs. No issues with Scotia and BMO cards.
Oct 18, 2005
394 posts
116 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 2:17 am
VN will take CDN currency, just walk into any bank and they will exchange it . Bring new $100 notes for less hassle.
Jan 31, 2007
405 posts
216 upvotes
CDN is absolutely fine. While generally the USD advice is a good one, it is not required in Vietnam. One neat side effect is that cdn dollars are off center in terms of the image of the person on the bill. This means that there is less of a chance of a crease on the face. USD is right smack in the middle. Vietnamese currency exchangers (incl banks) can be real sticklers about "clean" bills.