Students

WLU BBA students??

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2007
2589 posts
99 upvotes

WLU BBA students??

Hey guys, want to know how all the 1st year Wilfrid Laurier students are finding the BBA program. Was it what you expected? Do you like it? How are your grades? etc. Also is there a lot of math and is it difficult. Reason being is that I can pull off an 88% average for admission - but that's because my other courses pull it up, my math marks are low 80's (81-83) (And that's with trying!) I hope to apply to law school as a postgrad, I don't want my marks to haunt me if I can't pull decent marks in university.

I am strongly leaning towards applying there - I'll definetly make the cutoff. My 1st option is most probably Queens, but if I don't get there, I've heard Laurier is great. So - just want to know how the program is and the university. (Atmosphere, but most importantly, how the marks are generally.)

I know UofT undergrads tend to do poorly due to the fact they mark as hard in undergrad programs than in postgrad programs - so I am avoiding UofT applications lol.
4 replies
Dec 10, 2006
725 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
you can just take the easier math course MA129, its pretty much grade 12 calc all over again
Feb 24, 2007
152 posts
77 upvotes
Thornhill
Sniper001 wrote: Hey guys, want to know how all the 1st year Wilfrid Laurier students are finding the BBA program. Was it what you expected? Do you like it? How are your grades? etc. Also is there a lot of math and is it difficult. Reason being is that I can pull off an 88% average for admission - but that's because my other courses pull it up, my math marks are low 80's (81-83) (And that's with trying!) I hope to apply to law school as a postgrad, I don't want my marks to haunt me if I can't pull decent marks in university.

I am strongly leaning towards applying there - I'll definetly make the cutoff. My 1st option is most probably Queens, but if I don't get there, I've heard Laurier is great. So - just want to know how the program is and the university. (Atmosphere, but most importantly, how the marks are generally.)

I know UofT undergrads tend to do poorly due to the fact they mark as hard in undergrad programs than in postgrad programs - so I am avoiding UofT applications lol.
I'm a first year BBA student at laurier and so far it's been a rough ride. The workload is insane and you will be working harder than you ever have in your life. My average from high school was an 89%, my average here so far is about a low 80, although not much has been given back to really judge. For math up until now it's all been a review of advance functions and calculus and vectors so if you take those in high school you'll have a significantly easier time. Expect your average to drop by about 10% here than from it was in high school judging from my own experience and a couple of buddies.

The atmosphere here is a great atmosphere, but I've come to the realization that no matter where you go, be it Queen's, Laurier, Western, etc. You'll find a good atmosphere that you enjoy to be in.
Sep 18, 2008
69 posts
a 10% drop is really good!!!

i wen to uoft, had a 88 average, and my average first year was a low 70.. mind you i was in the commerce program as well

if you wan your marks inflated to go to law school, choose a program you love an go to a school where averages are known to be relatively high..

for business, I hear Mac commerce has really high averages, you should apply there, keep a high average an go to law school
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2007
2589 posts
99 upvotes
the_messiah wrote: a 10% drop is really good!!!

i wen to uoft, had a 88 average, and my average first year was a low 70.. mind you i was in the commerce program as well

if you wan your marks inflated to go to law school, choose a program you love an go to a school where averages are known to be relatively high..

for business, I hear Mac commerce has really high averages, you should apply there, keep a high average an go to law school
I was going to apply to some BA programs (such as Criminology and Law and society) where I know I will be able to obtain high marks, however, I am not 100% sure I want to become a lawyer and there is no guarantee that I will get into law school, thus, those degrees would be useless. (You can't get a decent job with a BA).
Therefore, I decided to pursue the BBA as an undergrad (at a fairly decent university - not too hard (ie. Schulich, Ivey, Queens), but not too unreputable (Ryerson, Athabasca, etc.) that I wouldn't be able to develop a good career from it... so Laurier fit that description perfectly (as it was somewhere down the middle). UofT Commerce gives low marks - so not applying for that.

Mac Commerce, eh? Their cutoff seems relatively low compared to other BBA programs - can someone verify that it is a good program AND that it's easy to obtain marks in? I don't rely on hearsay lol.