• Jun 28th, 2016 7:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2980 posts
1584 upvotes

[Walmart] Globe 3.1A USB receptacle $8.00 - YMMV

This 3.1A (combined) USB receptacle is on clearance for $8.00 at Walmart Barrhaven (Ottawa). Original price was $19.99

23 replies
Oct 16, 2001
37 posts
12 upvotes
I ended up getting 3 in Fredericton, NB for $5 each.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2980 posts
1584 upvotes
Totoriko wrote: How easy to install these?
should be the same as installing a regular receptacle. I haven't installed theses yet, but I installed a Leviton one. Hope theses are better than of piece-of-sh1t from Costco.
Apr 11, 2003
686 posts
157 upvotes
Edmonton
bogolisk wrote: should be the same as installing a regular receptacle. I haven't installed theses yet, but I installed a Leviton one. Hope theses are better than of piece-of-sh1t from Costco.
Seconded. The only thing that might complicated is that some of these fill the box, as they're pretty deep. So it can be tight getting all the wires back in, etc. But otherwise, it's a pretty standard outlet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2980 posts
1584 upvotes
mimmo_l wrote: Full price $19.xx in Victoria.
that's why it's a YMMV. I'm jealous of the $5.00 price in Fredericton.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4490 posts
1368 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: that's why it's a YMMV. I'm jealous of the $5.00 price in Fredericton.
How many were left in Barrhaven?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2980 posts
1584 upvotes
Totoriko wrote: How many were left in Barrhaven?
There were still about a dozen left yesterday. It's in the rear-left corner of the store, in front of the garbage bins.
Dec 14, 2004
843 posts
134 upvotes
Waterloo
Scanned at $10 at the Walmart in Waterloo (the one near St. Jacobs). It was good enough for me - I bought two.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1365 posts
623 upvotes
Calgary, AB
bogolisk wrote: should be the same as installing a regular receptacle. I haven't installed theses yet, but I installed a Leviton one. Hope theses are better than of piece-of-sh1t from Costco.
Sounds better to return my unopened one and stick to regular plugs? Did they not work at all?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1212 posts
397 upvotes
MARKHAM
safe or not safe? I am planning to get one for each of the bedrooms in my house.
Dec 28, 2011
961 posts
610 upvotes
purebluejapan wrote: safe or not safe? I am planning to get one for each of the bedrooms in my house.
why not get a plug in surge protector with usb ports? or simpler usb power adapter

you get surge protection, you don't make an ass of yourself when you fail to correctly connect the power cable and extra special bonus nobody dies in a fire caused by shoddy electronics or wannabe electrician
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2475 upvotes
How hard and safe for someone to install this with no experience?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
454 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: How hard and safe for someone to install this with no experience?
Very easy. Just make sure cable connections and ends are properly fastened. Always best to curl the wire around the screw clockwise to make it secure itself as you tighten
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5087 posts
1786 upvotes
Ottawa
bogolisk wrote: This 3.1A (combined) USB receptacle is on clearance for $8.00 at Walmart Barrhaven (Ottawa). Original price was $19.99

I'm here, looking for everywhere , can't find them, maybe sold out. Sigh
Nov 15, 2009
33 posts
4 upvotes
Kingmoo wrote: Very easy. Just make sure cable connections and ends are properly fastened. Always best to curl the wire around the screw clockwise to make it secure itself as you tighten
Also probably worth mentioning to turn off the power to the outlet you are working on at your house's fuse box before starting. However, I would add that if someone didn't know to do this before working on an outlet, they should definitely do some further research before going ahead with installing this.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2475 upvotes
ultimatum wrote: why not get a plug in surge protector with usb ports? or simpler usb power adapter

you get surge protection, you don't make an ass of yourself when you fail to correctly connect the power cable and extra special bonus nobody dies in a fire caused by shoddy electronics or wannabe electrician
Can you make a recommendation?
Mar 9, 2014
660 posts
664 upvotes
Ottawa
Wondering is this compatible with Gigabit Powerline adapter.