Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5701 posts
1876 upvotes
Space

[Walmart] Meguiars Plast X Clear plastic cleaner/polish - 5$

Great for getting those headlights crystal clear! On clearance so YMMV but looking online it seems to be chainwide ( in store only? )

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/meguiars-pl ... 0016946348
20 replies
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1199 posts
846 upvotes
Belleville
Toothpaste does the same thing. Plus it leaves the headlights smelling minty fresh!
Temp. Banned
Oct 13, 2010
169 posts
245 upvotes
toronto
Been 5$ on amazon for a long time. And im sure this is for plastic trim etc
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2251 posts
1216 upvotes
PlastX is a polish, not a compound...Toothpaste is not the same thing. This is used for removing swirls from interior trim plastic or on soft boat windows for uv protection. Limited results for headlights, not abrasive enough...better off with one of the headlight kits if thats your intention
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20029 posts
7386 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I assume this will remove the haze, but what to use to keep it from coming back?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7958 posts
5958 upvotes
Kitchener
Quentin5 wrote: I assume this will remove the haze, but what to use to keep it from coming back?
Headlight kits include a sealer in the package to prevent them from getting hazy again.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20029 posts
7386 upvotes
Socially Distanced
IntrepidRT wrote: Headlight kits include a sealer in the package to prevent them from getting hazy again.
Cool, good to know
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5701 posts
1876 upvotes
Space
For headlights, wet sand 1000, wet sand 2000, apply plast X, apply protectant/sealant. Going to do our car right now :D .
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5701 posts
1876 upvotes
Space
Walmarts inventory system is garbage, shows OOS in store but there are at least 10 bottles at Sunrise in Kitchener.
Dec 16, 2010
524 posts
110 upvotes
This has to be my favorite headlight restorer. I've used a bunch of products over the years, usually when I cannot find this one on the shelves and I always revert back to plastX. IMO it's the best bang for the buck!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5701 posts
1876 upvotes
Space
Can't beat 5$, I wouldn't recommend applying this by hand. Use a polisher/buffer for best results.
Jan 13, 2010
235 posts
146 upvotes
For minor discoloration headlights this will help, for a number of months. You will need to do it again, and again, every year!
Even with a buffer, spent a lot of time doing this.
In the end, wish i'd just purchased new headlights from rockauto.
Once the protective coating is gone from plastic headlights, they will discolor again after only a few months.

Have since purchased new non-oem headlights and they look good for years.
If the vehicle you own had 100k plus unit sales in North America, non-oem parts, including headlights, are usually not that expensive.
Paid less than $150 cdn, including taxes, shipping, and xchg, for two new headlights.
Use retail me not to save 5%. No additional fees on arrival. Save yourself a lot of work.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
1878 posts
917 upvotes
mb
shows $11 for me in Manitoba.

I would buy this for black plastic exterior trim pieces on my truck and my gf's car. Not for headlights.

Edit, when I changes stores it shows $5 at my local walmart.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
1878 posts
917 upvotes
mb
marty589 wrote: For minor discoloration headlights this will help, for a number of months. You will need to do it again, and again, every year!
Once the protective coating is gone from plastic headlights, they will discolor again after only a few months.

If the vehicle you own had 100k plus unit sales in North America, non-oem parts, including headlights, are usually not that expensive.
Paid less than $150 cdn, including taxes, shipping, and xchg, for two new headlights.
Use retail me not to save 5%. No additional fees on arrival. Save yourself a lot of work.
Most non OEM headlights, particularly ebay headlights are not DOT certified. Meaning you cannot safety a vehicle with them. Be careful of that.
Jul 8, 2013
70 posts
40 upvotes
Montreal
marty589 wrote: For minor discoloration headlights this will help, for a number of months. You will need to do it again, and again, every year!

I agree these pastes or liquid polishes won't last.
However no need to buy new headlights...In 2015 I purchased this kit via Amazon USA during a holiday:3M Headlight Lens Restoration System, (39008) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001AIZ5HY/ref ... xxbH1GF4TK

It's worked wonders. One year later and the lights are still clear. The combination of compounds and multi stage sanding discs make the difference.
I used the kit on a 2006 sienna which has huge headlights and the supplied sanding disks and paste were just enough.
Jan 13, 2010
235 posts
146 upvotes
nadrojcote wrote: Most non OEM headlights, particularly ebay headlights are not DOT certified. Meaning you cannot safety a vehicle with them. Be careful of that.
Good point. But i didn't suggest ebay!
CAPA approved parts are accepted by many insurance companies for repairs
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6669 posts
3689 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
I'm looking for a plastic polish which is safe for clear polycarbonate.
Does anyone with experience know if either this or the Novus System would be appropriate?
Thx