says price in effect until Feb 9.
There is also a tiger 3L hot water dispenser for $108
18 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1378 upvotes
Kanata
At first glance, I thought this was EA trying to earn some money back on their golf games... :lol:
Dec 8, 2009
730 posts
209 upvotes
I have japan Panasonic rice cooker for more than 2 years without any issues. Never heard this tiger brand.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1757 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
The company is Japanese, but the rice cooker itself is made in China - confirmed this at my nearest WM. Tiger makes some of their products in Japan, but not all.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2575 posts
373 upvotes
Nepean
The lower end Tiger ones are from China I read somewhere.
Tiger is a classic Asian brand rice cooker. Most asian homes had a Tiger or National brand cooker probably 15 years ago before panasonics started flooding the market.
Dec 8, 2009
730 posts
209 upvotes
southnam wrote: The lower end Tiger ones are from China I read somewhere.
Tiger is a classic Asian brand rice cooker. Most asian homes had a Tiger or National brand cooker probably 15 years ago before panasonics started flooding the market.

If I remember correctly National is part of Panasonic and its known quality brand. Thanks for the info about 'Tiger' brand.
Apr 4, 2004
746 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
echo_jey wrote: I have japan Panasonic rice cooker for more than 2 years without any issues. Never heard this tiger brand.

You kidding me. For rice cooker, Tiger is one of the best brand in the world, at least much better brand than Panasonic.

If it's IH version and made in japan, this price would be a steal.

Here is some price reference for a typical Tiger Rice Cooker (IH) version.

http://www.forumappliances.com/i-1596-T ... ooker.html
Jan 13, 2005
872 posts
87 upvotes
Montreal
My Tiger is 11 years and still going. the inside is starting to peel off a bit.

Mind you there is nothing much to break in a rice cooker
Jun 9, 2009
16 posts
Mississauga
My TIGER rice cooker was 15 year-old(5,5 cup) still working well.Any walmart in Toronto on sale $68?.That wonderful cost!!!.My cost 15 year ago $120 for 5,5cups
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1050 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
Just in time as I'm searching for a new one. Got one from Souffville Supercentre. It's the last one on shelf. Not sure if there is any more in the back. Used it for dinner and the rice tasted good.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7797 posts
2534 upvotes
Maple
Tiger cookers from Walmart are made in China. The ones made Japan are the good ones, the 10-cups cooker made on Japan costs over $150. I have 10-cups (model JPN-1500) for over 10 years but the inner pot bottom starting to get scratches. I ordered this one, Zojirushi, from Amazon.ca as new replacement. There are 3 big reliable cookers from Japan: Tiger, Zojirushi, Panasonic/National. They are expensive but reliable.
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00009K ... ss_product
Apr 11, 2007
828 posts
605 upvotes
Oakville
We tend to replace our rice cooker every 3 years or so. And we always been using Tiger (made in Japan) ones. We replace them just to freshen up, not cuz they break... They are usually $150+ at local Chinese electronic. I think at $68, we could give these Chinese-made a try
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2575 posts
373 upvotes
Nepean
yohung wrote: We tend to replace our rice cooker every 3 years or so. And we always been using Tiger (made in Japan) ones. We replace them just to freshen up, not cuz they break... They are usually $150+ at local Chinese electronic. I think at $68, we could give these Chinese-made a try

replace just to freshen up? lol... That's high class rice cooking. That doesn't sound very asian thing to do at $150 a pop.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7017 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
I don't know much about rice cookers. We have a Rival 5.5 cup and it's more than enough for the three of us (2 adults and one child). The non-stick of the pan has seen better days so I consider replacing it with a better quality cooker. We normally put 1.5 cup (came with the cooker) of raw rice into the rice cooker. Is a 10-cup an overkill?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7797 posts
2534 upvotes
Maple
althetrainer wrote: I don't know much about rice cookers. We have a Rival 5.5 cup and it's more than enough for the three of us (2 adults and one child). The non-stick of the pan has seen better days so I consider replacing it with a better quality cooker. We normally put 1.5 cup (came with the cooker) of raw rice into the rice cooker. Is a 10-cup an overkill?
10-cup is overkill. I have one of those and min. is 2 cups. That is why I am getting 5.5-cup cooker.