• Oct 21st, 2017 3:51 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19155 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Wok for Smooth Top Range?

We have a smooth top range and we are looking to buy a new wok after warping our old stainless steel wok, and its current non-stick replacement we bought at Market Village. I've been doing some research on Google and different people seem to say different things on what is the best wok to use. Some say to use a carbon steel wok, while others say use a cast iron wok. Our range is already a bit scratched and we obviously don't want it to get more scratched.

We rarely stir-fry food, and we have frying pans for that. We mainly steam, regular braise cooking, and the likes. We're not making fancy food or anything, just a regular meal. Like soy sauce chicken wings, potato and chicken breast, broccoli and beef for example.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3619 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
Ceramic wok.

What does your mom want?
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19155 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
elton5354 wrote: Ceramic wok.

What does your mom want?
She has no clue. She didn't like the stainless steel we were using, and the ceramic one, I somehow warped it lol.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
there's a cast iron wok on sale this week at no frills. the thing is huge and comes with a lid so good for steaming as well.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
geokilla wrote: We rarely stir-fry food, and we have frying pans for that. We mainly steam, regular braise cooking, and the likes. We're not making fancy food or anything, just a regular meal. Like soy sauce chicken wings, potato and chicken breast, broccoli and beef for example.
If you rarely stir fry, I see no reason to get a wok at all. You can steam and braise in other vessels like sauce pans and stock pots.

With regards to woks for flat surfaces, I've never had one I was really happy with. None of the ones I tried work well, especially with the flat bottom abruptly transitioning to side walls interfering with the smooth operation of the spatula the way a wok is supposed to work. Also, I don't like cast iron woks. I like to man-handle my woks, tilt them, and generally move them around and the cast iron ones are way too heavy for that. I currently have a stainless steel one but I don't use it too often. Things were way better with my gas stove and real round bottom wok but no go with my current flat glass range.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19155 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ShoNuff2 wrote: there's a cast iron wok on sale this week at no frills. the thing is huge and comes with a lid so good for steaming as well.
I thought the sale ends today, but apparently they end on Wednesdays now Disappointed Face

Thanks anyways.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
bought this cooks standard multi-ply wok with lid for $83.xx a number of months back. works great & heats up fast on the induction stove. the lid is convex shape which allows for even more food to be cooked at one time. highly recommended if one is looking for SS woks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)