• Aug 15th, 2021 1:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2405 posts
762 upvotes
New Brunswick

Wondering if it is good idea to switch from CarryTel to Rogers

I am with Carrytel for $40 for 75/MBits. Rogers called to offer 150MBits for $45 for one year & 75 for $30 for 1 year. They also offered 500 for $55. I do not need the 500 Mbits.

I am on the fence for 150 for $45. I am looking for opinions. It would just be me using the internet.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13209 posts
4555 upvotes
Are you getting frequent downtime with CT ? If so, yes

If not, no.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3121 posts
1302 upvotes
Windsor
If you don't mind spending 4 hours trying to transfer back to CarryTel in 1 year, then go for it. The service will be identical, except you'll probably have more "billing errors" with Rogers.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2405 posts
762 upvotes
New Brunswick
ChubChub wrote: If you don't mind spending 4 hours trying to transfer back to CarryTel in 1 year, then go for it. The service will be identical, except you'll probably have more "billing errors" with Rogers.
What do you mean by that?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3121 posts
1302 upvotes
Windsor
raichu1 wrote: What do you mean by that?
In 1 year, it will likely then become more expensive than CarryTel was. Roger's will not let you cancel until you've spent a LOT of time on the phone. CarryTel is also a pain in the butt to reconnect to. Its likely at some point in the year that Rogers will "accidentally" raise your rate in hopes you don't notice.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7179 posts
9153 upvotes
The NORTH
Don't forget that rogers has trash tech support if you need it. I don't know what carrytel's is like but there is no way it can be worse than rogers.

As also pointed out when the inevitable billing error happens get ready to spend LOTS of time on the phone trying to get it fixed 3 or 4 times.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2405 posts
762 upvotes
New Brunswick
Thanks all. I was with Rogers before and had no issues nor billing errors. I switch to Carrytel due to the discount at Rogers expired.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4660 posts
5947 upvotes
GTA
In one year and every year thereafter you'll be battling with Rogers to extend the discount pricing.

For one person the benefit of switching to 150 from 75 is negligible.

Don't bother
Jun 21, 2008
850 posts
349 upvotes
mississauga
Kfox wrote: In one year and every year thereafter you'll be battling with Rogers to extend the discount pricing.

For one person the benefit of switching to 150 from 75 is negligible.

Don't bother
i'm in the same boat, was with cannet 3 yrs ago, $40 per month, rogers offered 500 mbps for $40 pm for 1 yr, renewed at $40 pm for 300 mbps expiring in november, see what happens, might have to do some negotiating
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2864 posts
883 upvotes
Toronto
I vote for switch.
Rogers customer service is poor but CarryTel is actually worse. :D

Ongoing CarryTel complaint RFD thread: carrytel down?
Jun 16, 2017
143 posts
49 upvotes
Was with Rogers 20 years, got sick of the annual pleading/threatening to leave just to get a competitive price. 4 years ago I finally pulled the plug and switched to CT and saved 40% for the exact save service. Have had one price increase but that was due to CRTC ruling and I'm still saving about 1/3. Sure I could switch back to Rogers on some new customer promotion, but then I'm back to having to beg for a fair price every year. I will never go back. CT has been fine - 1 service disruption in 4 years.
Dec 1, 2003
571 posts
209 upvotes
Ottawa
I hate playing cat and mouse price increase game with these big telecoms. BTW, the price can be increased while on the contract. Find a stable internet company and stick with it.
Aug 4, 2006
696 posts
307 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
I've been with CT for at many years. Whenever I needed Tech or Customer support ... I never had issues. Wait times were relativity short ( only a few minutes). But the outages were a overwhelming factor to move. If there is an outage, Rogers would take care of their own customer base first as that's fair in my opinion. If you deem the savings to be worth it, then go for it.