Food & Drink

Woo-hoo! Today, (Tues Feb 28th) - is PANCAKE DAY !!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2006 6:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2891 posts
483 upvotes

Woo-hoo! Today, (Tues Feb 28th) - is PANCAKE DAY !!

Don't forget!
Pancakes for breakfast.. pancakes for lunch.. pancakes for dinner.. pancakes for dessert! :D

I think I forgot one year, Mardi Gras just kinda slipped by. I think it was on the Thursday that I realized I'd missed it!

Hey, I'm curious - if you're not originally from Canada, what (if anything) do you eat on Mardi Gras? Here in Canada, they eat 'pancakes', which are those 5-or-6-inch rounds of batter that cook up kinda fluffy. I grew up in Europe and pancakes to us are 'crepes' - frying-pan-sized & paper thin.

We usually put fresh lemon juice & white castor sugar, and roll them up into 'cigars'. Nutella is also excellent on them! Grand Marnier (liquor) too!! Yum!!

My earliest 'pancake day' memory was when I was 3 years old - my older brother's best friend, who lived down the street - invited us over after dinner for pancakes. His mom cooked up a stack of crepes that must have been 4" tall - and the 3 of us ate them all!!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4728 posts
103 upvotes
Oakville
Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Banned
Feb 26, 2006
131 posts
1 upvote
TdotO
oh man i miseed out . damn.
oh well will hav pancakes tomrorw :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2891 posts
483 upvotes
^ Huh... how did you miss out if it is TODAY?
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Hmm... learned something new today. I'll make up for it on the weekend. Don't think I'll attempt pancakes for dinner. Nah...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2004
8311 posts
1 upvote
toronto
i didn't know about pancake day..but now that i do, any place in downtowon toronto that serves them well?

and please don't mention golden griddle
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2891 posts
483 upvotes
Seriously - you guys must have heard of Mardi Gras though, right??
As in the big party they have in New Orleans?

It's a Christian-based tradition, but by no means do you have to be religious to celebrate it. I'm not religious at all, but I always celebrate Christmas, Pancake Day and Easter! Why? Because they're fun! (presents, pancakes, and chocolate... what's not to like?!)

A quick history/religion lesson:

The proper English name for today is 'Shrove Tuesday' - 'shrove' meaning to absolve (of sins). Tomorrow is 'Ash Wednesday' - which marks the 40-day period (not including Sundays) prior to Easter known as 'Lent'. Whereas Christmas is always celebrated on Dec. 25th, the day that Easter falls on changes from year to year, and so, in turn does the dates of Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday.

During this 40-days, Christians traditionally fast to symbolize the 'suffering' that Jesus apparently went through for 'our sins'. Traditionally the fast allowed for only 1 meal a day (instead of normal lunch AND dinner) and forbidden foods during this time include meat, fish, eggs and milk products.

So milk, eggs, and other fats are used up on the day before Lent starts, as those items would spoil if kept. Pancakes combine all 3 ingredients, and so became a popular food to eat on Shrove Tuesday. In many countries, the religious tradition simply became known as 'Pancake Day' and enjoyed by all.

'Mardi Gras' translated from French = 'Fat Tuesday'
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2891 posts
483 upvotes
Hey, if you live in BC - you are the only Canadian province lucky enough to have IHOP (International House of Pancakes).

And you are also lucky enough to be 3hours behind me here in Ontario.

UNTIL 2PM TODAY (local time), IHOP is offering a FREE STACK OF PANCAKES TO EACH CUSTOMER
http://ihop.know-where.com/ihop/region/canada.html
FREE PANCAKES! NO STRINGS ATTACHED!
On February 28, 2006 from 7 AM to 2 PM IHOPs across the country will celebrate National Pancake Day (also known as Shrove Tuesday) by offering our guests a free short stack of pancakes*. This is going to be our biggest one day celebration in our history.

National Pancake Day has a rich history that stretches back centuries and has always been a time of celebration. National Pancake Day always falls on Fat Tuesday and this year it will be a celebration at IHOP.

So gather your friends, family and neighbors and come to your local IHOP and enjoy a short stack of pancakes on us. All we ask is that you consider making a donation to a great charity like First Book or other local, worthy cause. Where else would you celebrate National Pancake Day than IHOP? See you there.

* Limit one free short stack per guest. Valid for dine-in only, no to go orders. Not valid with any other offer, special, coupon, or discount. Valid at participating restaurants only, while supplies last.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Mardi Gras, yes. But what does PanCake day have to do with Mardi Gras?
May 30, 2004
239 posts
dam it, just ate lunch allthough i can visualize long linups and i don't want to dine in just to get a free stack of pancakes.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2004
1021 posts
293 upvotes
I've been craving pancakes for the last couple days, and this post just adds to it even more...lol.
Any idea of where to go in North York for good pancakes?
I'm going to make them at home tonight if I can't find a good place.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2891 posts
483 upvotes
lumlum1013 wrote:I think this year it's a coincidence they both fall on same day..
No, not a coincidence.
Reading before posting would be appreciated -- I explained it all in Post #8 of this thread!