• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2010 6:57 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2008
56 posts
1 upvote

Wood Scrap Yard?

Does anyone know if Toronto has something along the lines of a WOOD scrap yard? kinda like metal scrap yards? Or even if something like that exist?

I wanna do some wood sculpting projects but buying a new piece of wood for that seems like a waste...
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1867 posts
432 upvotes
Go to construction sites and check and see what they toss in the garbage bin. Or if you have a Windsor plywood store in your area they also sell smaller chunks of exotic woods.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22067 posts
715 upvotes
Newmarket
Its a great idea, but because wood doesnt weather well outside in the elements and its expensive to store, most unwanted wood would end up in the chipper.
Most building box stores have scrap piles though of cheaper wood pieces, but nothing fancy, so find a place that sells the type of wood you're lookign for and ask if they have any scrap or defective pieces they'd sell cheap.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1026 posts
461 upvotes
c0demint wrote: Does anyone know if Toronto has something along the lines of a WOOD scrap yard? kinda like metal scrap yards? Or even if something like that exist?

I wanna do some wood sculpting projects but buying a new piece of wood for that seems like a waste...

try contacting West End Tree Removal, I believe they have wood on site that they give away.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7577 posts
5744 upvotes
Ottawa
Many sawmills have a bin outside of their scraps. However, whatever's there is more for kindling than sculpting. Your best bet is a tree removal service - but that's green wood and you'd have to know how to split/cut and age the wood prior to carving.