• Apr 2nd, 2021 2:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1789 posts
1531 upvotes
Ottawa

Wood Siding Repair - Who to call?

We have vertical shiplap wood siding (~500 sqft). We're pretty sure it's original to our 1956 bungalow.

It's weathered on the sun exposed sides. The occasional plank is warped or split. But none of it is rotten.

We had considered replacing it with Maibec. We got quotes last year in the $12k range. We delayed to this year. Those quotes are now $22k. We don't want vinyl or hardie board. CanExel isn't ant cheaper. We want wood.

So we're considering just replacing the planks that need to be replaced (at most 25%) and then having it painted. We like the historic profile, so there's that benefit to keeping it.

I've consulted a couple reputable painting companies who think the siding is in generally good condition. They can strip, wash, skim coat, sand, and paint for the $2.5k+tax range, and claim the surface of the boards (weathering, small cracks) will look like new.

The siding profile isn't common, but I've been able to source custom milled replacement #1&#2 pine shiplap planks through a local lumber mill at a price that's acceptable to me.

What type of companies should I contact to quote on the replacement?

We're talking the replacement of 30-50 6.5"x62" pine shiplap planks, and installation of 145 linear feet of 1x6 frieze board.

Siding companies and general contractors are either not responding or trying to upsell me on a full replacement.

One of the painters employs a carpenter, but I haven't met the carpenter and am not sure I trust his ability to do the work. But they're quoting $2k +materials to replace 50 boards, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

I'm not sure I trust a handyman service?

Any thoughts or advice?
2 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10373 posts
5588 upvotes
Paris
If the siding guys are in your area are anything like the guys I know in my area, they are busy with large jobs for 1-2 weeks at a shot and uninterested in a smaller nitpicky job like this. Just the state of the market right now. So a handyman is your best route. For $2k, I would expect them to be only be there 2 days… do you think its only a 2 day job?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1789 posts
1531 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: If the siding guys are in your area are anything like the guys I know in my area, they are busy with large jobs for 1-2 weeks at a shot and uninterested in a smaller nitpicky job like this. Just the state of the market right now. So a handyman is your best route. For $2k, I would expect them to be only be there 2 days… do you think its only a 2 day job?
I honestly have no feeling for how long it would take. In involves cutting out each plank, likely with a sawzall down the middle, prying it off, cutting and fitting in the new board, and nailing it in. Rinse and repeat 50 times. Some will be easier, because there are a couple sections where multiple side by side boards would be replaced.

It's about 120 square feet of siding. So at $2k, that's $17/sqft +materials. With materials, it's $23/sqft.

Given I was quoted a full replacement with Maibec last year, before the lumber increases, at $21/sqft +tax, materials and labour included (and it included demo, housewrap, strapping, and a lot of detailed trim work, ), $17/sqft for labour for this job doesn't sound unreasonable or really low.