• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2015 3:35 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 8, 2015
6 posts
York, ON

Wool coat for winter?

Hello, i was thinking of getting a nice wool coat. Is it going to keep me warm or do i need to layer up?
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Wear the appropriate coat for the conditions outside. And, you don't want to be weighed down, 'cuz that is tiring. Cheap coats tend to be heavier. Imagine adding layers to that, and it gets cumbersome, and you'll also look fat.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
If you get a thick coat it's very warm, just as warm as down. I have a LL Bean wool car coat that's super warm, but it is one of their heavier ones.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
ryan098 wrote: Hello, i was thinking of getting a nice wool coat. Is it going to keep me warm or do i need to layer up?
Woolrich brand. Nicer wool coats price range $800-1100 cad. Very warm. Id say temp range around -20 or so... max. Sporting life sells them. You can layer with any coat. That's up to you.

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/browse ... as/_/N-84i
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5745 posts
7935 upvotes
Ontario
It's not just that the coat is wool (exterior), you need to consider whether the interlining (if one exists under the lining fabric) is warm or not. Try on different wool coats for weight/fit/preferences/do the sleeves move with your arms or is there a sewing problem?

Truth-I bought a $50 dress wool coat at a chain store-no interlining and it was fairly useless on a cold windy day while walking 20min or much longer. I think I wore it twice and it stayed in the closet until I donated it.
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
I've mentioned here before that u can help winterize your wool coat by attaching a chamois to the inside back of your coat. What this does is help block out the wind. Quality woollen coats in the old days (eg. the '80s) had these. However, if the temps are crazy-freezing outside, wear down or fur.