Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10688 posts
12957 upvotes
Vancouver

The word "thread" in thread titles

Does this irk anyone else? It seems to be becoming really common. We know your thread is a thread. Every thread is a thread. You don't need to say in the thread title that your thread is a thread.

All of the above would make just as much sense without the word "Thread" in the title. So How about leaving it off? Like this: StudioTax 2020. Simple, clean, uncluttered, no need to say it's a thread; we already know.

Putting on flame suit now lol
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2010
5044 posts
3204 upvotes
Burnaby
Kiraly wrote: The word "thread" in thread titles

Does this irk anyone else? It seems to be becoming really common. We know your thread is a thread. Every thread is a thread. You don't need to say in the thread title that your thread is a thread.

All of the above would make just as much sense without the word "Thread" in the title. So How about leaving it off? Like this: StudioTax 2020. Simple, clean, uncluttered, no need to say it's a thread; we already know.

Putting on flame suit now lol
These are supposed to be catch-all threads about a particular topic (with a well-defined focused scope) and sometimes a time span (e.g., year). They serve their purpose allowing finding a topic quickly and allowing keeping the thread lists clean of duplicate threads. Perhaps a most appropriate term could be "megathread" (just a suggestion, there might be other qualifiers/names, for instance "Everything..."). Sometimes attention-seekers or people interested on promoting their business or themselves add the "thread" qualifier in order to have their threads considered the [url=site:forums.redflagdeals.com official thread]"official" thread[/url] (for instance).
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3459 posts
3668 upvotes
GTA
Maybe instead of adding the word thread, just leave the word discussion in the title. Adding thread to the title of a thread seems redundant. Like saying "NHL League", the word League is already alluded to with the abbreviated L.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19435 posts
7044 upvotes
Toronto
I have to agree with you, the logic makes sense to me.

A thread is a thread, we know that. It doesn't need the official title.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2010
5044 posts
3204 upvotes
Burnaby
DaVibe wrote: I have to agree with you, the logic makes sense to me.

A thread is a thread, we know that. It doesn't need the official title.
It may be redundant (and in principle, illogical) but it's perhaps convenient in practice because it provides a unique qualifier (keyword) for searches. The "thread" for 'whatever topic', meaning the "main thread about...", the "aggregation thread about...", the "consolidated thread about...", the "megathread about...". On one hand it allows users to search and join an existing (main) discussion and on the other hand it helps rfd staff maintain the subforums more or less free of duplicate threads.
yare yare daze...
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1022 posts
518 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Isn't this just to make sure people ABSOLUTELY know it is a thread? No guesswork.

Like making sure people know cod fish is a fish, same for tuna fish.

Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15942 posts
13190 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
First, good thought out replies here from the others
@aviador - @BernardRyder - @DaVibe - @jerryhung - & @toram23901

They are right, there can be a lot of reasons
Including the quick SEARCH ability ... both for the Users as well as the Hosts & Mods

Hey @Kiraly

Lol, no flame suit required. I think it a great question.

And ... I am GUILTY as charged.

Seeing as 2 of these I am highly involved with ... Host on one Co-Host on another
(Airmiles & PCO )
Maybe I can shed some light on the history, and how these titles came to be

I joined RFD in 2017, and offered to host the AirMiles discussions at the beginning of 2018 after the 2016 thread was getting a bit long in the tooth

Air Miles Dream Miles - soon to expire after 5 years | update: no longer expring =

air-miles-dream-miles-soon-expire-after ... g-1923685/

Back then there was no Host. It was just a mishmash of RFDers posting each Airmiles question separately ... or many “general ones” just getting tagged onto that 2016 thread, cuz it was the most visible / active.

My first attempt at this was the 2018 thread ...

Airmiles 2018 (General Discussion) =

airmiles-2018-general-discussion-2159478/

RFDers praised my efforts and energy I put into the process. And as such visibility of the thread increased for RFD ... who also got onside with the idea of MegaThreads for the various Loyalty Programs. (Although back then the term MegaThread wasn’t really used much on RFD like it is now to identify threads that are all encompassing).

Next up, was the PCO Thread. This came about when the PC Plus Program amalgamated with the SDM Optimum Program in February 2018

Prior to that, there were 2 threads:

A SDM Optimum one from 2014 entitled: “Official” Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Points Discussion =

official-shoppers-drug-mart-optimum-poi ... n-2076552/

And a PC Plus one originally entitled: PC Plus Discussion Thread

That thread between 2014 and 2018 changed titles several times to reflect the upcoming changes to the Program into the PCO Program we now all know

Including :

PC Plus (soon to be) PC Optimum Discussion Thread
and
PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

pc-optimum-discussion-thread-formerly-pc-plus-2040084/

Which ended its lifespan at 548 Pages !!!

Then after the amalgamation, all these various threads made no sense ... so for 2019, BlueBellRose who had been hosting the old PC Plus threads, and I agreed to join forces and co-host one single PCO Discussion thread that represented the new PCO Program ... and like the AirMiles MegaThread, would be renewed as an annual thread. At the time we approached RFD, and they were thrilled with the idea, based on the success of the previous years AirMiles MegaThread and the visibility it had brought them. So the PCO MegaThread was born:

PC Optimum Discussion Thread 2019 =

pc-optimum-discussion-thread-2019-2257875/

The title chosen at the time, just reflected what had been used in the past

So words like Thread, or Official Thread etc just naturally got put into the title in hopes that these new formats would get folks attention and stop the endless listing of separate questions on the SHOPPING DISCUSSION FORUM for all the individual Loyalty Programs.

You’d be surprised how many folks still don’t get the concept of the Megathread ... and so a good bit of Hosting or Co-Hosting a MegaThread does include clean up requests to RFD ... so things stay consistent across the various Forums.

So ya, the titles at times might seem a tad ridiculous using the words THREAD or OFFICIAL ... but it’s truly meant as a way to cut down on the extra work behind the scenes for the Hosts ... myself, BlueBellRose, Trystee, etc who take on these threads, as well as the RFD Staff / Mods who support them. Anything that cuts down on that tedium of maintenance for everyone involved is most welcome.

NOTE - You don’t like the term “thread” in the title... I get it. How do you feel about MegaThread ?
I could certainly make that happen if you like ... now that the term is far more known on RFD than it was back 5 or so years ago.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Feb 27th, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5639 posts
2463 upvotes
Toronto
I get why it seems redundant, but to me it's the difference between a "PC Mastercard" thread and the "PC Mastercard Thread". Or to put it another way, if I have a random question about something to do with PC Mastercard, I'd probably make my own thread to do it unless I saw something that made it obvious that this is the thread for PC Mastercard stuff.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3459 posts
3668 upvotes
GTA
I have no skin in the game. Personally I see the word "Discussion" being a better word since the posts contained would be a part of a thread discussing whatever the topic is. In the end, whatever works! But thank you for the explanation.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10688 posts
12957 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote: So words like Thread, or Official Thread etc just naturally got put into the title in hopes that these new formats would get folks attention and stop the endless listing of separate questions on the SHOPPING DISCUSSION FORUM for all the individual Loyalty Programs.
Yes I can understand that...but isn't AirMiles 2021 (RFD’s General Discussion Thread for this Loyalty Program) just a little over the top? Cutting out 70% of that:

AirMiles 2021 (RFD’s General Discussion Thread for this Loyalty Program)

to

AirMiles Discussion 2021

...would tell readers the exact same thing about the thread without all of the clutter. I'm definitely a "less is more" person...probably stemming from my days teaching my kids how to properly use glitter glue.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4513 posts
2782 upvotes
Gotham
Brevity is the soul of wit.

These words or qualifiers make my eyes roll. To me, the qualifiers point out the obvious. Yes I know this is a thread because I'm in a discussion forum. The qualifiers are redundant and the same idea can be conveyed without them.

This is the internet version of Eats, Shoots and Leaves. Face With Tears Of Joy
Jun 4, 2020
803 posts
739 upvotes
Clarington, ON
This thread has the word thread in the title a total of 2 times!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2010
5044 posts
3204 upvotes
Burnaby
trystee wrote: Agreed and updated:

Gift Card Discussion Thread (2021) to
Gift Card Discussion (2021)

gift-card-discussion-2021-2396898/

@Kiraly, please strike-through the thread above in OP. Thanks.
Isn't "Discussion" redundant as well because the subforum is called "Shopping Discussion" and well, any thread in such category is a supposed to be a shopping "discussion"?
yare yare daze...
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3459 posts
3668 upvotes
GTA
aviador wrote: Isn't "Discussion" redundant as well because the subforum is called "Shopping Discussion" and well, any thread in such category is a supposed to be a shopping "discussion"?
Oh geez.

We need to just shut down the entire internet at this point Face With Tears Of Joy
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5059 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto
Brace yourself for someone to decree that this thread has run its course. :rolleyes: