Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Wordpress - is this still the way to go?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2021 5:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1455 posts
2645 upvotes
Toronto

Wordpress - is this still the way to go?

Can anyone chime in if wordpress is still the go to for website design? I've used it in the past along with weebly/wix. I am looking to have a new website made, however this time around I don't have the time to re-learn wordpress or to do the setup. It was a fairly time consuming exercise last time I did it and I don't have a web development background whatsoever.

What's the going rate for setting up a wordpress theme so I can take over and then manage content/updates?

Is this still the way to go or are out of the box website builders like squarespace/weebly/wix a better option?

This is for information/marketing/landing page website, no ecommerce.

Example of what I am looking for:

https://fortcapitallp.com/
Realtor, Investor, CPA
7 replies
Apr 19, 2014
148 posts
147 upvotes
Markham, ON
That site uses wordpress.
May 14, 2012
465 posts
138 upvotes
MARKHAM
Buy a theme on themeforest, it'll probably take you a few hours to customize it.
BuyWebHosting.ca
BigNames Domain Registration
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4482 posts
2137 upvotes
Calgary
Wordpress requires updating and active management. Not a big deal but the onus goes to you to manage updates versus a website builder.

The website you linked is done in Wordpress (you can check the source) but its usability can be found elsewhere such as Wix / Squarespace and can easily be done on them. Website builders will definitely be easier to use. If your website is passive run a template, put in the content and you are done.

I would suggest to run a template for free and see for yourself if it fits your need. The website you linked is quite simple and shouldn't take more then a couple hours with the content ready. My opinion if you are just going to be running a template on wordpress and not planning on doing heavy customization outside of it, you are likely better off just going with a website builder.

Seo and ranking is a totally different beast if you plan on using the website as a Google search ranking tool.
Jan 4, 2021
5 posts
2 upvotes
RichmondCA wrote: Can anyone chime in if wordpress is still the go to for website design? I've used it in the past along with weebly/wix. I am looking to have a new website made, however this time around I don't have the time to re-learn wordpress or to do the setup. It was a fairly time consuming exercise last time I did it and I don't have a web development background whatsoever.

What's the going rate for setting up a wordpress theme so I can take over and then manage content/updates?

Is this still the way to go or are out of the box website builders like squarespace/weebly/wix a better option?

This is for information/marketing/landing page website, no ecommerce.

Example of what I am looking for:

https://fortcapitallp.com/
Wordpress is #1
There are some really good plugins to make your life easy ([pretty much drag and drop).
Check out elementor.

You can likely get a WordPress site up and running in a few hours.

However if you want to pay someone, it's going to be in the $1500-$2,000 range, for about 4-6 pages. Seems to be the going rate in Toronto.

Personally I don't think it's worth it for $2,000, cause if you're techsavvy, you can do it yourself in a few hours... but it's up to you what your time is worth.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4607 posts
4666 upvotes
Vancouver
We originally had a consultant do a pro website design for us, which was very nice and aesthetically pleasing, but it was expensive and difficult for us to maintain. After a few years when a major update was needed, we went with WordPress and customized a standard theme ourselves. That has proven easier to maintain, although there's a bit of a learning curve and plenty of quirks to figure out in areas like moving the site from one host to another and supporting direct file links.

One thing I would mention is that you have to constantly monitor your web site for intrusions and hacks, and keep up with the constant updates to WordPress and its plugins, because it's a well-known hacker target. There are new vulnerabilities discovered every month, and it's easy for nefarious attackers to scan for outdated WordPress sites.
Last edited by Scote64 on Apr 11th, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 8, 2021
15 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
hi everyone, I'm a WordPress developer and marketer, so I know quite a bit about this subject.

The advantage with WordPress is that it is highly configurable (that's also the downside... it can take a lot of time). This comes in handy for SEO, where you need to edit Titles/H1 tags. Sure, Wix is quick and easy, but not as configurable.

I make my websites with WordPress and Elementor. I found most of my clients are able to pick up editing their website with Elementor, pretty easily. (even if I include some training time with my website package, most people don't even ask for it)

Security and hosting are two areas where you need a lot of knowledge to set things up well. I have an established process for these, and it makes management a breeze.
Yes, there are people out there that have made "scanners", basically robots that query your website for known vulnerabilities. If your software is outdated, you're a target.
And your website can become a host for nefarious purpose (think phishing for CRA or bank logins)

Most people just get Bluehost for 1.99 $/month lol and call it a day. Sure, it'll work for some time, but as you add plugins, there are two main risks;
plugins can open doors for hackers, and some plugins can draw a lot of ressources (RAM, cpu). Choose your plugins very wisely! Think long term.

Like most things you tend to get what you pay for, for web design. Does it look good? Is it fully functional?
'2003