Work from home jobs

Which companies/where to find.
Go Raptors, Go!
21 replies
Jul 29, 2007
672 posts
396 upvotes
North America
canucky1 wrote: Which companies/where to find.
The only thing I can think of is to be a consultant for something, for example, find an industry you want to get into and qualified for.
Be a consultant in that field, again as an example, work at home if you're an IT or tech sector consultant, go out whenever needed.
In fact, you can be your own boss and use your car/rent as a write off... but let's get into that later :D
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1967 posts
858 upvotes
HK
^ is correct.

I work from home 2 days a week. It could be more if required (family situations), depending how flexible the client is.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2124 posts
1368 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Are you looking for a specific type of job in a field you have lots of experience in, or any old job?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
Software developer, sales, consultant, real estate agent, etc.

But in reality, it's more like 50% - 75% home office, but you do have to show your face for meetings once in a while ;)
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2593 posts
1775 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
What field are you in? How much experience?

I work from home in sales. In my field you have to achieve pretty high sales quotas in order to work from home. It took me just over 4 years. The company I used to work for had that policy. I started with my new role at a new company in April- but now with 10 years experience and 6 years of solid sales track record.
Nov 29, 2014
75 posts
123 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I work from home once a week along with my team members. We all pick different days of the week so there will only be one person working from home in a given day. Also if your sick, have an emergency, you don't have to use your sick time but instead work from home that day. Key is communication and not abusing it.

I'm with everyone else though, not enough info given by OP
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2333 posts
704 upvotes
New Brunswick
depends on industry/ job. If you can just work from home then your job could be outsource for less.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: If you can just work from home then your job could be outsource for less.
Not true - sales and consultants work at home and are hard to outsource.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1595 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
My friend who works for one of the big 3 telecom's hasn't been in the office for 190 days straight. He does everything remotely and works in marketing. You just need to find a company that has flexible telecommuting policies.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2333 posts
704 upvotes
New Brunswick
coolspot wrote: Not true - sales and consultants work at home and are hard to outsource.
I said could not will.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
IT jobs, consulting, sales, analysts
..lots of jobs can work from home now and companies support it
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3425 posts
637 upvotes
London
I think even Rogers had wfh people - now sure if they still do?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
436 upvotes
BC
bramptonmt wrote: No/can't find.
There's always one idiot in the mix. Thank you for volunteering!
Go Raptors, Go!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
436 upvotes
BC
Thanks everyone - very helpful. For the sales guys, what industry are you talking about if you don't want to name the company.
Go Raptors, Go!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3425 posts
637 upvotes
London
One thing I would say is that for most companies you might have to have a proven track record of being self managing and adhering to policies and procedures.

If you are looking to switch companies just something to keep in mind if also looking for wfh - you might have a proving period.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22217 posts
167621 upvotes
GTA
I don't know if it is still done, but companies such as Cara (I think) were having people take restaurant/take-out orders from home.