None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 12, 2005
8122 posts
74 upvotes

Work Wage question

ok i dont know if this makes sense but hear me out:
i started working @ timmies Mar 2004.. im a part time employee and i was told that part timers get a raise after their 6th month and full timers after their 3rd month. I never got my 6th month raise and i know i am entitled to it since my manager told me during interview. soon we will be having our yearly assessment (most of u know what that is) and i mentioned that to my sister and i also told her about the 6month thing.. she said im since im entitled to that 6month raise, they should pay me the raise i shouldve gotten 6months after i was hired (so ~september). to make it clear, if i was suppose to get $.25 cents raise after 6 months.. my manager is suppose to count all my hours since sept 2004 till present and multiply that by $.25 ? i know its $.25 cents but its still money right? was it my responsibity to bug my manager for the raise? or it was the manager's responsibility to keep track of his/her employees that do need and deserve the raise? coz my GF said its my fault.. but i said its my managers fault for being irresponsible. DOes this makes sense? i want opinions first before i talk to my manager and to make sure im not gonna make a fool out of myself. im not being greedy.. its just that i know i deserve it..
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7385 posts
822 upvotes
It's your manager's responsibility, but it's also yours to bring it up if it isn't being done. I'm sure the manager had a lot on their plate and probably forgot, but that said, its something they were supposed to do. That aside, if you were making minimum wage before, you're getting more now anyways, since minimum wage was raised yesterday in Ontario.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 12, 2005
8122 posts
74 upvotes
Happy13178 wrote:It's your manager's responsibility, but it's also yours to bring it up if it isn't being done. I'm sure the manager had a lot on their plate and probably forgot, but that said, its something they were supposed to do. That aside, if you were making minimum wage before, you're getting more now anyways, since minimum wage was raised yesterday in Ontario.
ok i started $7.50 then raised to $7.75 LOL... ppl who started after me are like $8-$8.25 hehe.. whats the minimum wage now? well i told him twice since last year and all he said was "oh i told the owner about it" he said that to me twice! its not that i didnt remind him or anything.. he just kept saying that..

so about the part me getting paid the what i was suppose to, is that righT?
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25235 posts
4333 upvotes
If Tim Hortons isn't unionized, then you are not entitled to a raise after 6 months. Tim Hortons is not under any obligation to give you that raise. They can choose to do so if they want, but they don't have to.

It doesn't matter what the guy said in the interview either, that's not binding.
So unless it's written down somewhere that new employees get an automatic raise after 6 months, you are not entitled to it, and since Tim Hortons isn't unionized, I doubt they would ever write that down somewhere.

But, I believe the minimum wage just went up yesterday so you should have got a raise either way.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2387 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
jEnkinsX wrote:to make it clear, if i was suppose to get $.25 cents raise after 6 months.. my manager is suppose to count all my hours since sept 2004 till present and multiply that by $.25 ?
No. The 6-month period is normally referred to as the "probational" period. In some cases, managers may lost track of how long an employee has been working and may need a "reminder" that the probation period is over. However, it is also up to their discretion to determine whether or not someone has "passed" this period.

In other words, your manager could say: "I didn't think you were ready".
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
What a scam, whether you get this backpay or not, you definitely need to stand up for what you believe is right and wrong in life.

If you let this item trample over you, you will set yourself up for a life of getting trampled over.

Voice your complaint to everyone you can and do not let it go, if it's what you really believe in. Either you will get the backpay and future raises or you'll find a better job, at least you'll keep your intregrity intact.

Shaner has good points, but still if you feel you deserve that raise which was told of you, you should get it or at least get a satisfactory reason for why it was not given. Obviously it just sounds like they are trying to screw you over because they think they can get away it... unless it's truly a mistake, which should be rectified quickly and easily.
Banned
Jul 10, 2005
2489 posts
FastFokker wrote:What a scam, whether you get this backpay or not, you definitely need to stand up for what you believe is right and wrong in life.

If you let this item trample over you, you will set yourself up for a life of getting trampled over.

Voice your complaint to everyone you can and do not let it go, if it's what you really believe in. Either you will get the backpay and future raises or you'll find a better job, at least you'll keep your intregrity intact.

Shaner has good points, but still if you feel you deserve that raise which was told of you, you should get it or at least get a satisfactory reason for why it was not given. Obviously it just sounds like they are trying to screw you over because they think they can get away it... unless it's truly a mistake, which should be rectified quickly and easily.
It is not a good idea to talk to customers about this that is grounds to be fired.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
3039 posts
Ottawa
FastFokker wrote:What a scam, whether you get this backpay or not, you definitely need to stand up for what you believe is right and wrong in life.

I don't think it's a matter of being 'trampled' on. If the OP hasn't brought it up with his managers at this point, then it's basically his fault. By acting like an idiot and complaining to everyone he sees, he's likely going to blow his reference for what is probably his first job. When you only have one job on your resume, it's going to be difficult getting a better job when you have to try and explain why they can't call Timmy's for a reference.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
sportsfan99 wrote:It is not a good idea to talk to customers about this that is grounds to be fired.
:lol: I guess I wasn't specific enough, I didn't mean to talk to customers about it.

devious: Well you have a point on blowing a reference, but I guess it's all what matters to you.

To me, if you're upset enough to make a thread about it on a bargain hunting website, then it must be a pretty big issue. I would be rather pissed if I started at $7.50 and was raised to $7.75, while others hired AFTER me are making $8-8.25.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
2469 posts
2 upvotes
you shouldn't expect any back pay as raises are not something your given they are something you earn. If you didn't bring it up they are not obligated to raise your pay, if you never complained and continued to work at your old pay rate your pretty much accepting it.

Most retailers like to have set review periods for pay raises, but never bring it up unless pushed.

Back when I was in my first year of universtiy I took a part time job at Revy (now rona), I had piles of experiance in the area and wasn't just some kid, so in the interview when i was asked what I expected for pay I said $12 (this is what I was making at my other part time job with my previosus full time employer). When I got hired I asked what my rate would be and was told that it was policy to give experianced people $10.50 to start but we could review it in a few months. Well 3 or 4 month go by and I start trying to have a sit down with the manager, he kept putting me off always telling me he'd let me know what a good time was and never getting back to me. After 6 weeks of this (and them changing the hours I agreed to work) I finally got a sit down with the manager, rather then ask for the raise I handed him my 2 weeks notic and left. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
dark169 wrote:After 6 weeks of this (and them changing the hours I agreed to work) I finally got a sit down with the manager, rather then ask for the raise I handed him my 2 weeks notic and left. :lol:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 12, 2005
8122 posts
74 upvotes
ok so if i did complain to the manager i will look like an idiot its a good thing i asked u guys first. maybe next month's assessment.. if im not happy.. ill hand in my 2-weeks notice.. thanks guys..

but yeah.. ill see if it is written anywhere that after the probation period that i should get a raise.. if i dont find any ill keep my mouth shut..

u think this will work : ask him first about the 6 months if he said yes thats the tim's policy then ill start talking to him about backpay..

thnks ppl
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25235 posts
4333 upvotes
jEnkinsX wrote:ok so if i did complain to the manager i will look like an idiot its a good thing i asked u guys first. maybe next month's assessment.. if im not happy.. ill hand in my 2-weeks notice.. thanks guys..

but yeah.. ill see if it is written anywhere that after the probation period that i should get a raise.. if i dont find any ill keep my mouth shut..

u think this will work : ask him first about the 6 months if he said yes thats the tim's policy then ill start talking to him about backpay..

thnks ppl
Is Tim Hortons unionized? If it's not, there won't be any type of automatic raise in place.
Try to find another job. Most grocery stores are unionized and offer automatic raises after a certain amount of hours are worked. Apply to work at a grocery store, than once you get hired, quit Tim Hortons.

If you quit the very first job you got, you may have a hard time finding another one. I doubt you have much to put on your resume as it is. Stick it out until you find something better.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 12, 2005
8122 posts
74 upvotes
Shaner wrote:Is Tim Hortons unionized? If it's not, there won't be any type of automatic raise in place.
Try to find another job. Most grocery stores are unionized and offer automatic raises after a certain amount of hours are worked. Apply to work at a grocery store, than once you get hired, quit Tim Hortons.

If you quit the very first job you got, you may have a hard time finding another one. I doubt you have much to put on your resume as it is. Stick it out until you find something better.
i dont think it is.. oh well yeah my friend told me costco pays 10 bucks i think... timmies isnt worth my time anymore.. the only reason i keep up with timmies and stay is coz my gurlfriend works there too (no we ddnt meet there we were going out even before she got me a job there and she's my supervisor lol) so yeah grocery stores i know pays good.. after i was hhired by a CAT rental store.. i just want to work for an office.. its just soo hard to get an office job that will allow my hours coz i have school.. :( oh well we'll see tahnks again