• May 4th, 2012 9:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 23, 2010
43 posts
9 upvotes
North York

Working in data analytics right now and thinking of pursuing CFA designation

I currently work in data analytics as a programmer (using SAS & SQL). I have about a year of technical experience as I just graduated from university a year ago. I've been thinking if I should pursue a CFA. I've seen many CFA job postings that want their candidates to having working knowledge of SQL. If I'm technical and have a CFA, would that give me a competitive advantage? So far, working in data analytics is great, job prospects seem promising as their is so much growth in technology and companies want to make decisions using data. What are your thoughts?
1 reply
Jun 5, 2003
87 posts
5 upvotes
There is definitely a strong demand for quantitative analysts (quants) with strong programming skills.

I've been cold called or emailed about a dozen times in the past year and a half by headhunters looking. Very good salaries, mainly hedge funds / proprietary trade shops / banks, but may be required to relocate to other locations in Canada or US for that first job.

Your background says you are a good programmer. A CFA will say you understand and can learn to apply the finance/stats side.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)