• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2021 11:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 22, 2021
15 posts
5 upvotes

Working with a unregistered salesperson for homebuying

Hi all, we recently had a salesperson show a house for purchase. Later we found out that he is not registered with RECO . He says he is supporting another realtor ( who is registered but we personally haven’t met this guy) and all contracts are reviewed and signed by latter. I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to work with somebody who isn’t registered( since as per RECO rules he isnt even allowed to show the houses by himself).
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2042 posts
1125 upvotes
Etobicoke
No, 65000 agents in the GTA I'm sure you can find someone that has a licence and experience.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3230 posts
6174 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
How did this whole situation come about? Nothing like a good RFD story.
RE Broker
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
Simplejs wrote: Hi all, we recently had a salesperson show a house for purchase. Later we found out that he is not registered with RECO . He says he is supporting another realtor ( who is registered but we personally haven’t met this guy) and all contracts are reviewed and signed by latter. I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to work with somebody who isn’t registered( since as per RECO rules he isnt even allowed to show the houses by himself).
Like Richmondca I'm curious to know how this came about also.

An unregistered person may not assist you, they are unauthorized to trade in real estate, doesn't know what they're doing, has no capacity to bind you to any agreement with them, is not insured against liability, and is subject to a very heavy fine and possibly worse.

In any case, this could be a scam, unauthorized people passing themselves off as real estate salespersonss is more prevalent than is publicized, so it's probably a scam and and if in fact a Realtor did suggest you use them, you are about to be scammed twice - once by the fake and once by the Realtor and I would urge you to report them both to RECO..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
7753 posts
5718 upvotes
Toronto
This person is not allowed to show homes for an agent. report both of them to reco. The agent will get a fine for a few thousand at least.
Full-time Realtor