Careers

Locked: Workplace Harassment in Non-Unionized Setting.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2016 10:49 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3242 posts
849 upvotes
Toronto

Workplace Harassment in Non-Unionized Setting.

Does anyone know if staff can report to any kind of authority in relation to workplace harassment in Non-Unionized setting?

Thank you.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Share:
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35617 posts
21673 upvotes
Center of Universe
Supervisor or manager???
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2289 posts
1434 upvotes
Contact employment standards.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1216 posts
317 upvotes
Report to your immediate manager and HR.
If the immediate manager is the one involved, go directly to HR.

Make sure whoever is harassed has their ducks in a row, documentation, proof etc. Keep a journal / record with times, dates, and individuals spoken to and if possible, get an incident report in writing from whoever you reported it to.

Depending on the severity of the level of harassment, I might consider contacting an attorney.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3242 posts
849 upvotes
Toronto
OldMarriedGuy wrote: Contact employment standards.
Would they take complaints from individual employees?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13897 posts
8991 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
What type of complaints?
DJ Trance AZ wrote: Would they take complaints from individual employees?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3242 posts
849 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: What type of complaints?
Complaints related to workplace harassment.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2749 posts
856 upvotes
Vaughan
canadiancynosure wrote: Report to your immediate manager and HR.
If the immediate manager is the one involved, go directly to HR.

Make sure whoever is harassed has their ducks in a row, documentation, proof etc. Keep a journal / record with times, dates, and individuals spoken to and if possible, get an incident report in writing from whoever you reported it to.

Depending on the severity of the level of harassment, I might consider contacting an attorney.
This, 100% do this first.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5079 posts
940 upvotes
Peterborough
Document, document, document.

Just an fyi - the word harrassment is thrown around a lot. The person doing the alleged harrassment may consider it performance management.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Mar 7, 2010
142 posts
52 upvotes
You really need to define what the ***** you mean by "Workplace harassment". Is he just taking your stapler without returning it? Does he kick you in the ass every time he sees you? Does he insult you? Does he grope you? Does he mention wanting to ***** you?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1158 upvotes
DJ Trance AZ wrote: Complaints related to workplace harassment.
You are not being very clear. Most big companies have an HR department that you can report to. But usually you should go through your manager first. If the perpetrator is your manager, then go straight to HR. If it's a small company, I suggest you just look for another job. Given that you chose to ask in an online forum, I'm guessing you work in a place with no real HR department? Have you tried to Google to see what solutions are out there?

How serious is the harassment? Your vagueness makes me a bit worried. Is it REAL harassment? Are you uncomfortable to tell us because it's embarrassing? Is it so serious that you should actually call the police? Or is it you not being able to deal with people or you being too sensitive? Sometimes there's a little bit of name calling or a few pranksters in the office but these are harmless and you as an adult should be able to deal with it yourself. To me, being sexually harassed or physically assaulted is very different from name calling or favourtism. The word harassment is used increasingly the same way the media uses "assault" very frequently these days.

I had a co-worker who complained to my manager about me eating apples at my desk too loudly. I hope you're not someone who just makes a big fuss about nothing. There's a lot of people who are far too sensitive, or think they can get ahead by raising these petty issues. It doesn't work. My boss told me about the eating apple too loudly thing and we both had a "wtf?" look on our faces. Then we moved on to the next business topic.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13897 posts
8991 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Could be co-worker coming up to him and pokes him or patting him on the back. Need more info!
BananaHunter wrote: You are not being very clear. Most big companies have an HR department that you can report to. But usually you should go through your manager first. If the perpetrator is your manager, then go straight to HR. If it's a small company, I suggest you just look for another job. Given that you chose to ask in an online forum, I'm guessing you work in a place with no real HR department? Have you tried to Google to see what solutions are out there?

How serious is the harassment? Your vagueness makes me a bit worried. Is it REAL harassment? Are you uncomfortable to tell us because it's embarrassing? Is it so serious that you should actually call the police? Or is it you not being able to deal with people or you being too sensitive? Sometimes there's a little bit of name calling or a few pranksters in the office but these are harmless and you as an adult should be able to deal with it yourself. To me, being sexually harassed or physically assaulted is very different from name calling or favourtism. The word harassment is used increasingly the same way the media uses "assault" very frequently these days.

I had a co-worker who complained to my manager about me eating apples at my desk too loudly. I hope you're not someone who just makes a big fuss about nothing. There's a lot of people who are far too sensitive, or think they can get ahead by raising these petty issues. It doesn't work. My boss told me about the eating apple too loudly thing and we both had a "wtf?" look on our faces. Then we moved on to the next business topic.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2016
7756 posts
6477 upvotes
GTA, ON
Talk to a lawyer first. HR and management might not help you.