[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19712 posts
12822 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

World postal rates overhauled after US quit threat

World postal rates overhauled after US quit threat
The agreement means the US and other high volume importers can set their own rates for delivering mail from abroad.

The US had earlier threatened to pull out, arguing that discount rates for countries such as China were putting the US at a massive disadvantage.

It said that it had become cheaper for US consumers to ship items from China rather than buying domestically. As a result, it argued this was unfair to US manufacturers and was costing the US Postal Service up to $500m ($404m) a year...

From January 2021, high-volume importers will be able to impose "self-declared rates" for delivering foreign mail and packages.

Countries that import more than 75,000 tonnes (75m kgs) of post every year can apply their own rates by July 2020.
So does Canada import more than 75k tonnes of stuff from China by post? If so expect shipping costs on sites like eBay and Aliexpress to go up.

See also: U.S. Will Remain in Postal Treaty After Emergency Talks
veni, vidi, Visa
18 replies
Jul 13, 2007
915 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
My interpretation is that countries can set their own rates if they import a total of more than 75k tonnes. Not necessarily from any one country.

I wonder why they chose 75k as the cutoff, and not 10k, 50k or 100k. Somebody unliked is out there importing *just* 60k tonnes of mail.

It's going to make shipping estimates a lot more complicated for small sellers. Every big country is going to have its own rate. You'll have faraway countries that will be cheap to send to, and nearby ones will be expensive.

I hope the UPU can push for standardization that will streamline international shipping. Sending packages with addresses in 3pt font shouldn't be acceptable. The price of delivery confirmation should be the same for an international packages as it is for domestic. Origin shouldn't matter.

Would also be nice if I could send parcels across Canada for less than an American can send them internationally to Canada.
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33533 posts
3638 upvotes
Winnipeg
^i see you can understand the frustration of americans on how it is cheaper for china to ship to them than they ship to themselves, and we have it even worse with both china and america ship to us for cheaper than we ship to ourselves. It goes to show you how expensive and noncompetitive our economy is in the international market.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14134 posts
14737 upvotes
Oakville
HammerRFDer wrote: My interpretation is that countries can set their own rates if they import a total of more than 75k tonnes. Not necessarily from any one country.

I wonder why they chose 75k as the cutoff, and not 10k, 50k or 100k. Somebody unliked is out there importing *just* 60k tonnes of mail.

It's going to make shipping estimates a lot more complicated for small sellers. Every big country is going to have its own rate. You'll have faraway countries that will be cheap to send to, and nearby ones will be expensive.

I hope the UPU can push for standardization that will streamline international shipping. Sending packages with addresses in 3pt font shouldn't be acceptable. The price of delivery confirmation should be the same for an international packages as it is for domestic. Origin shouldn't matter.

Would also be nice if I could send parcels across Canada for less than an American can send them internationally to Canada.
I don't see why countries/shipping companies shouldn't be allowed to set any price they like.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3039 posts
2035 upvotes
Canadia
engineered wrote: I don't see why countries/shipping companies shouldn't be allowed to set any price they like.
Because some small countries with less-than-honest leaders would use it as an excuse to profit from their citizens.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14134 posts
14737 upvotes
Oakville
retrothing wrote: Because some small countries with less-than-honest leaders would use it as an excuse to profit from their citizens.
Doesn't seem to have helped. Fixing prices for shipping seems to be an odd way of doing it.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3039 posts
2035 upvotes
Canadia
engineered wrote: Doesn't seem to have helped. Fixing prices for shipping seems to be an odd way of doing it.
True. Dirt-cheap Chinese postal charges are costing the USPS and Canada Post many millions of dollars because they're only being paid pennies to deliver cheap AliExpress products.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33533 posts
3638 upvotes
Winnipeg
So what is the new rate?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19712 posts
12822 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
divx wrote: So what is the new rate?
So did you read the OP let alone the linked article?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33533 posts
3638 upvotes
Winnipeg
bylo wrote: So did you read the OP let alone the linked article?
Yes, it just says each country can apply their own rate, but doesn't say what the new rate is for Canada and the States.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19712 posts
12822 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Actually what it says is, "From January 2021, high-volume importers will be able to impose "self-declared rates" for delivering foreign mail and packages. Countries that import more than 75,000 tonnes (75m kgs) of post every year can apply their own rates by July 2020."

Does comparing today's date compare with the bolded dates help to answer your question?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8141 posts
9040 upvotes
Vancouver
This is also a reason why sending stuff internationally from Canada is so #@#$! expensive. Canada Post's costs of delivering incoming stuff from China have exploded over the last decade. It has to be paid for somehow. We complain about those outrageous prices for outgoing parcels, but really it's we who order cheap junk directly from China that are the root cause.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9377 posts
1529 upvotes
Victoria
retrothing wrote: True. Dirt-cheap Chinese postal charges are costing the USPS and Canada Post many millions of dollars because they're only being paid pennies to deliver cheap AliExpress products.
Hence why Canada Post domiciles them for weeks/months in a warehouse somewhere in Montreal. They lose money delivering that stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9377 posts
1529 upvotes
Victoria
HammerRFDer wrote: My interpretation is that countries can set their own rates if they import a total of more than 75k tonnes. Not necessarily from any one country.

To be fair USPS is bleeding money. It lost 4b last year and is on track to lose 7b this year. They're shipping prices are bound to catch up sooner or later.