Computers & Electronics

Worried about privacy with Alexa? There's another concern...

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2019 10:48 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4330 posts
4384 upvotes
Vancouver

Worried about privacy with Alexa? There's another concern...

It turns out that the terms you agreed to in order to use Amazon's voice service Alexa contain a clause prohibiting you from suing Amazon for anything.
https://gizmodo.com/alexas-sneaky-fine- ... 1834930270

You did read all of those terms before you clicked Ok, right? Or did you just trust that a large company wouldn't try to sneak dirty tricks into their pages of obscure legal terms and conditions.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
When i lived in an apartment in Hamilton, I could hear everything the next door neighbour said when I was in the washroom.

I used to wonder if they could hear the sounds coming from my washroom.

but then, a man still has to use the washroom, no?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
You didn't read it?
konsensei wrote: I used to wonder if they could hear the sounds coming from my washroom.
If you can hear them, they can hear you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4330 posts
4384 upvotes
Vancouver
On the privacy side, Alexa has added a new option to say "Alexa, delete everything I said today”. Unfortunately it's a bit screwed up (https://gizmodo.com/amazon-attempts-to- ... 1835092306).

And there's apparently still no way to delete the transcripts of what you said, only the actual audio recordings.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2609 posts
1739 upvotes
"You can't sue" is pretty standard statement in many contracts. Doesn't mean much, you can still sue them or at least go for arbitration.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4330 posts
4384 upvotes
Vancouver
peli33 wrote: "You can't sue" is pretty standard statement in many contracts. Doesn't mean much, you can still sue them or at least go for arbitration.
What's not standard is to hide it in an unrelated service agreement. If it said "you can't sue Amazon for anything to do with your use of Alexa", that would be more appropriately limited.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10863 posts
2001 upvotes
Toronto
I feel like these are just standard terms and conditions.

I refuse to believe amazon/google or any of these services are recording what we say so employees elsewhere can listen to us... But that's me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4330 posts
4384 upvotes
Vancouver
XtremeModder wrote: I refuse to believe amazon/google or any of these services are recording what we say so employees elsewhere can listen to us... But that's me.
"Ring let employees watch customer videos, claim reports" [Ring now owned by Amazon]
https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/10/1817 ... deo-amazon
XtremeModder wrote: I feel like these are just standard terms and conditions.
If you reply to this post then you agree that you can't sue me ever for anything. Just standard, you know?
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10863 posts
2001 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: "Ring let employees watch customer videos, claim reports" [Ring now owned by Amazon]
https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/10/1817 ... deo-amazon



If you reply to this post then you agree that you can't sue me ever for anything. Just standard, you know?
Since the Amazon acquisition, some security measures have been put in place to prevent access to sensitive customer information, but the reports say staffers have ways around them. A former employee in Ukraine told The Information that “Workers could then access the system from any computer, at home or anywhere.”

A Ring representative told The Intercept that the only videos employees view and annotate are those made public through Ring’s community watch app,
Considering the source of that quote taught us how to build a gaming pc that will always be remembered...

That last comment you made there is kind of stupid also.

What I find hilarious is all these people afraid of being listened to randomly STILL USE THESE DEVICES. Whats even more dumb is the fact that they're worried about this but are clueless about how much more information is taken via internet browsers and whatnot. Let's also not forget that windows 10 is also tracking us.

Well, I guess I should be very concerned that I just told my google home mini to turn my lights down and my tv on... Oh no... They must think I'm about to watch tv!


That quote I put in should give you an answer but you probay wouldn't be satisfied, because of what the "ukraine" source told the this website. Which makes absolutely no sense. Amazon put protection in place and all that means is they can now be accessed anywhere?


Do you not comprehend the sheer stupidity of these article authors?

Id better throw my 65" tv in the trash because OH NO IT HAS GOOGLE VOICE ASSISTANT!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3598 posts
1800 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Considering the source of that quote taught us how to build a gaming pc that will always be remembered...

That last comment you made there is kind of stupid also.

What I find hilarious is all these people afraid of being listened to randomly STILL USE THESE DEVICES. Whats even more dumb is the fact that they're worried about this but are clueless about how much more information is taken via internet browsers and whatnot. Let's also not forget that windows 10 is also tracking us.

Well, I guess I should be very concerned that I just told my google home mini to turn my lights down and my tv on... Oh no... They must think I'm about to watch tv!


That quote I put in should give you an answer but you probay wouldn't be satisfied, because of what the "ukraine" source told the this website. Which makes absolutely no sense. Amazon put protection in place and all that means is they can now be accessed anywhere?


Do you not comprehend the sheer stupidity of these article authors?

Id better throw my 65" tv in the trash because OH NO IT HAS GOOGLE VOICE ASSISTANT!
Wow...
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1551 posts
1962 upvotes
This is a standard clause in pretty much all agreements. It doesn't mean anything.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4330 posts
4384 upvotes
Vancouver
User381785 wrote: This is a standard clause in pretty much all agreements. It doesn't mean anything.
Yes, lawyers are always putting in clauses that don't mean anything. I don't know why they bother to get a degree and a bar certification when obviously anyone can be a lawyer by just writing meaningless text.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
19459 posts
3519 upvotes
Toronto
None of that is valid in Canada.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
1437 posts
460 upvotes
Ontario Consumer Protection Act

No waiver of substantive and procedural rights
7 (1) The substantive and procedural rights given under this Act apply despite any agreement or waiver to the contrary. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A, s. 7 (1).

Limitation on effect of term requiring arbitration
(2) Without limiting the generality of subsection (1), any term or acknowledgment in a consumer agreement or a related agreement that requires or has the effect of requiring that disputes arising out of the consumer agreement be submitted to arbitration is invalid insofar as it prevents a consumer from exercising a right to commence an action in the Superior Court of Justice given under this Act. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A, s. 7 (2).

Class proceedings
8 (1) A consumer may commence a proceeding on behalf of members of a class under the Class Proceedings Act, 1992 or may become a member of a class in such a proceeding in respect of a dispute arising out of a consumer agreement despite any term or acknowledgment in the consumer agreement or a related agreement that purports to prevent or has the effect of preventing the consumer from commencing or becoming a member of a class proceeding. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A, s. 8 (1).

Top