Shopping Discussion

Is it worth it to buy an extended warranty (offered by the store I guess) for refrigerators?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2017 1:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5780 posts
2022 upvotes
Toronto

Is it worth it to buy an extended warranty (offered by the store I guess) for refrigerators?

Is it worth it to purchase the extended warranty (how many years?) on fridges? Or should I skip it and spend that money towards the next fridge? These are offered by the store, not the manufacturer right?

Also, do certain brands have longer manufacturer warranties than others that people would recommend?
21 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11639 posts
3944 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't. Just use the credit card that gives extended warranty to purchase that appliance (most gives you another 1 year).
I never trust the extend warranty offer by the store or manufacture, they make more money out of it.

I have the French door LG one and knock on wood, it's working well so far.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3043 posts
2067 upvotes
Canadia
How much is the warranty? What does it cover? For how long?

Our five year old stove just required a new control board. The repair guy charged us $85 for the service call, plus a couple of hundred for the part. The dishwasher and fridge that were bought at the same time have both required a couple of minor parts, but we bought those online and installed them ourselves.
Sep 8, 2006
918 posts
576 upvotes
Edmonton
Extended warranty is like buying insurance. It's a gamble whether you come out on top or not at the end of it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5780 posts
2022 upvotes
Toronto
Were the parts for your dishwasher / fridge essential (otherwise the fridge won't work properly), or are they things like handles and light fixtures? If they were essential, how did you know that replacing those items would make it work again, i mean it's not obvious like a burnt out light bulb
retrothing wrote: How much is the warranty? What does it cover? For how long?

Our five year old stove just required a new control board. The repair guy charged us $85 for the service call, plus a couple of hundred for the part. The dishwasher and fridge that were bought at the same time have both required a couple of minor parts, but we bought those online and installed them ourselves.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3043 posts
2067 upvotes
Canadia
fightbriz wrote: Were the parts for your dishwasher / fridge essential (otherwise the fridge won't work properly), or are they things like handles and light fixtures? If they were essential, how did you know that replacing those items would make it work again, i mean it's not obvious like a burnt out light bulb
Google and youtube are your friends. If there are common problems for specific models, you'll find lots of "how to" videos and forum posts. :)

The roller support on the dishwasher tray cracked (it was plastic), so we looked online and ordered a replacement. Total cost was about $30 and the new (metal) part took 10 minutes to install. As for the fridge, the condensation drain was poorly designed on the model we purchased and froze. We spent about $20 on a new part and again, it was a 10 minute installation job.

Your new appliances aren't likely to fail in the first 5 years of ownership and it's doubtful that you'll find an extended warranty longer than that. Just make sure you buy a popular model by a mainstream brand so that you can get parts a decade from now.
Dec 16, 2004
775 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
I get all my appliances at Home Depot now so I can price match the lowest price I find and buy their extended warranty too. I've found the HD warranty to be priced fairly reasonably - less than $200 for an average refrigerator to extend to 5 years. I have an LG fridge and was unsure of the brand when I bought it so I got the warranty and had to have it serviced 4 times in the 5 years the warranty covered. Someone above mentioned a repair where just the service call was $85 - I figure if even 1 repair is covered by the warranty you will probably break even and you may need more.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3469 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
Check who provides the warranty coverage - there are a lot of technicians out there who do not know what they are doing.

Check what is covered under the one year warranty offered by the manufacturer. Paying by credit card will offer an additional year's coverage, but it will be limited to that offered under the original one year warranty. It is surprising what is not covered.

Also check what is covered under the extended warranty.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5780 posts
2022 upvotes
Toronto
Is price matching an official policy of home depot? Also how do they calculate price of extended warranty, is it a percentage of purchase price? Also is there any policy where you get your money back if you don't file a claim?
dishguy1977 wrote: I get all my appliances at Home Depot now so I can price match the lowest price I find and buy their extended warranty too. I've found the HD warranty to be priced fairly reasonably - less than $200 for an average refrigerator to extend to 5 years. I have an LG fridge and was unsure of the brand when I bought it so I got the warranty and had to have it serviced 4 times in the 5 years the warranty covered. Someone above mentioned a repair where just the service call was $85 - I figure if even 1 repair is covered by the warranty you will probably break even and you may need more.
Dec 16, 2004
775 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Price matching is an official policy and they match the price and give an ADDITIONAL 10% off. I usually PM with Canadian Appliance Source which has great prices and then get an extra 10% off. The warranty pricing is based on tiers like Refrigerators between $1000-$1500 is $149 and $1501-$2000 is $179 - these are completely made up numbers but you get the point. You can go in and grab a brochure and they list all the pricing. I do find they are more willing to do the PM when you buy the warranty as well - I price matched with CAS for a $1 difference and they did it and gave me the extra 10%. They do not have a policy where you get your money back but the warranties are cheaper to begin with compared to Sears.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
I for one never buy extended warranties.
If you're concerned that you may need it, you should self warranty.
Take whatever money you'd normally put towards a warranty on everything you buy and save it somewhere.
It's going to suck for the first year or two (depending on your spending) if something goes wrong, but hopefully anything you buy in that time will be covered by manufacturers.

When something does go wrong, just buy it outright using that fund and repeat the process.

Personally I like this method better because there's no fine print to read or (mis)understand, no time limit on a refund (because you still retain the money), no bullplop to deal with.
Feb 16, 2014
733 posts
164 upvotes
London
MP3_SKY wrote: I wouldn't. Just use the credit card that gives extended warranty to purchase that appliance (most gives you another 1 year).
I never trust the extend warranty offer by the store or manufacture, they make more money out of it.

I have the French door LG one and knock on wood, it's working well so far.
Look at two important things:

1)Does your assumed store have legit fridge repair/support service?More exclusively,given brand name?

2)Does your store have a legit approval of presenting/seling that brand?

Simply put,Store X sells LG fridge.There are three scenarios here:

1)Store X is not approved retaile/seller of LG,nor legit support,
2)Store X is only approved for selling,not support,
3)Store X is approved for both selling and support,it has repairing/fixing department.

Case number one is not suggested at all.Number two,if there is no other store that has your favourite/specific model,chances for effective extended support are 50-50.Number three is good to go.
Apr 10, 2006
394 posts
201 upvotes
retrothing wrote: How much is the warranty? What does it cover? For how long?

If you don't mind me asking, what brand is your fridge and where did you buy parts from? I think the door mullion on my LG fridge is broken as I start to see condensation during last summer even with the power to it turned on.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7726 posts
1607 upvotes
LG also has an out of warranty repair program, you may want to look into it as well.

lg-oneprice-flat-fee-repair-out-warrant ... v-1918115/
vanpatrick81 wrote: If you don't mind me asking, what brand is your fridge and where did you buy parts from? I think the door mullion on my LG fridge is broken as I start to see condensation during last summer even with the power to it turned on.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2744 posts
1807 upvotes
If you buy using a CC, check additional warranty is provided. Most CC do but you have to make sure you keep that CC down the road. I personally don't buy extended warranties but it is a personal choice. If you live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford an unexpected expense, it may be worth. If one fails and you don't have enough for a new replacement you can always consider buying a used one.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
vanpatrick81 wrote: If you don't mind me asking, what brand is your fridge and where did you buy parts from? I think the door mullion on my LG fridge is broken as I start to see condensation during last summer even with the power to it turned on.
Not OP, but Reliable Parts has a ton of stuff.
Punch in your model number and it'll list anything that's available for it.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1936 posts
1277 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Buy from Costco? I think they have 2 years warranty on applications while elsewhere only 1 year
Apr 10, 2006
394 posts
201 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Not OP, but Reliable Parts has a ton of stuff.
Punch in your model number and it'll list anything that's available for it.
Was just wondering if there are trustworthy places out there other than reliable parts. Thanks.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12431 posts
3631 upvotes
GTA
If your intended fridge has an ice maker and/or a water dispenser, go for the extended warranty. These two items are notorious for failing.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: If your intended fridge has an ice maker and/or a water dispenser, go for the extended warranty. These two items are notorious for failing.
I have no idea what fails on them, but replacement ice making units are like $60.
Unless it's something else that fails on it.