Is it worth to buy the extended warranty for a refrigerator

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2019 6:58 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
537 posts
85 upvotes

Is it worth to buy the extended warranty for a refrigerator

I posted here that my Samsung refrigerator stopped working during boxing day.

After 2 repairs back and forth and almost 300 bucks, I gave up and bought a new one. it seems that the freon leak is tough to fix and I don't want to spend hundreds on an almost 9 years old refrigerator.

The funny thing is, if you read the reviews, you don't want to buy any refrigerator! Every brand has many bad reviews. Every brand has pretty scary stories from customers. haha. Of course I have to buy one. So I bought this LG because it is on sale.

After I bought this LG, I read some reviews again. It seems LG has problem with compressors. Some people say their compressors broke down after just couple of years even though LG has 10 years warrant on compressors but the labour fee will still cost a fortunate.

I am already a little bit scared even though the refrigerator won't be delivered until next week. The manufacture warranty is only one year. Home depot has 4 extra warranty for 230 or 260 plus tax I can't remember the exact number. Is it worth buying extra 4 years warranty for this refrigerator?

This is the refrigerator I bought: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.36-i ... 86957.html

Thanks for any advice!
18 replies
May 21, 2015
726 posts
340 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
If it's a fancy fridge with ice makers etc.. I'd probably go for the warranty. It seems the ice maker is the most prone to break down. You can possibly try negotiating the price down on the warranty.. When I bought my new stove recently at Canadian Appliance I got 4 years for the price of 3.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6010 posts
436 upvotes
BC
I just bought a new electric range, and yes, every brand has lots of bad reviews!! So hard to pick one, hoping its not a bad one. I've actually never bought an extended warranty but did on this purchase... bought at costco and the one year was doubled to 2yrs, and for $98 I got it covered for 5yrs, if it was $300 I might not have done it.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8587 posts
1623 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Tough one. Appliances are crap these days so I'd probably say yes to the warranty. Or buy something cheap enough knowing there is a chance it won't last 4 years.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11760 posts
11374 upvotes
Oakville
Depends what the warranty covers and HOW they cover it. I bet there's lot of outs for them, or no obligation to warranty the whole fridge if they can't fix it.
That said, I believe LG has a ~$200 fixed price for out of warranty repairs, so you're basically at the same price. I didn't buy extended warranty on my washer/dryer pair, which would have been 10% of the purchase cost.
https://lgoutofwarranty.ca/en/main/home.do
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5498 posts
1653 upvotes
Space
Depends. If it’s a fairly simple fridge I’d pass on the extended warranty. If it’s a complicated fridge with a bunch of electronics or twin cooling, double compressors etc I’d strongly consider it.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1793 posts
1118 upvotes
It's really a roll of the dice. There's no way to predict the future. Check the coverage in detail, and don't be afraid to negotiate. Also most credit cards will double the warranty up to 1yr. So you could turn it into a 2yr warranty for free. I would sooner buy a slightly better name/model, then fork out the money for a warranty, but if it helps you sleep at night, might be worth it.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11663 posts
2681 upvotes
Montréal
I've only owned basic fridges and would say no, I've been lucky nothing wrong *knock wood*. I bought extended warr (discounted offer) for the washer and dryer and d/w since moving parts. Fridge seems least likely to malftn.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Mar 22, 2017
573 posts
449 upvotes
If you bought a basic fridge (no ice maker or water dispenser) and it isn't from a disposable brand (danby, haier, etc), then the extended warranty may not be worth it - those fridges tend to be fairly affordable, and the cost of the warranty may be in excess of the weighted-average costs of repair (with some premium associated for your downside being worse (large expense) than your upside (no repairs). There is also the risk that your warranty will have clauses or execution that make it difficult to get the repairs done in a timely manner without some hassle or cost on your part.

In general though, all fridges are more prone to breaking than they were a couple of decades ago, due to a lack of competition, consumers not really valuing reliability enough, the drive to lower costs by reducing quality of construction, and having more components in the fridge that are prone to breaking.

In general if you can do without a water dispenser or ice maker, do without them. They tend to break.
Oct 9, 2011
854 posts
360 upvotes
GTA
I would cancel the order.

When my 15 yr old Amana fridge died last year and wasn't worth the $ to repair, the repair man suggested I stay away from LG, Samsung and even GE (as they sold their appliance division to a Chinese company a couple of years ago and the jury is still out on reliability).

LG doesn't sell parts to anyone in the after market so you are stuck using them to perform repairs. If you do decide to keep it, then buying the extended warranty is the way to go, but you'll end up having to put up with their delay tactics or claim that the part needing replacement is not covered under warranty.

My repair man says to stick with a North America made product where you can get parts easily....Amana, KitchenAid, Whirlpool (all same manufacturer).

I ended up getting a KitchenAid and paid for an extended warranty, but then learned that it came with a 5 year warranty on the major parts, including the electronics, so I cancelled the extended warranty before taking delivery.
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
May 12, 2014
787 posts
410 upvotes
Markham, ON
dpw198 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 8:44 am
When my 15 yr old Amana fridge died last year and wasn't worth the $ to repair, the repair man suggested I stay away from LG, Samsung and even GE (as they sold their appliance division to a Chinese company a couple of years ago and the jury is still out on reliability).

LG doesn't sell parts to anyone in the after market so you are stuck using them to perform repairs. If you do decide to keep it, then buying the extended warranty is the way to go, but you'll end up having to put up with their delay tactics or claim that the part needing replacement is not covered under warranty.

My repair man says to stick with a North America made product where you can get parts easily....Amana, KitchenAid, Whirlpool (all same manufacturer).
I think we have the same repair man. The one I dealt with said it was nearly impossible to obtain parts for LG and Samsung and that North American brands have parts more readily available.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16451 posts
1513 upvotes
Thornhill
For my washer, dryer, fridge, it was $150 for another 3 or so years. I was like, eh, sure why not. I didn't do it for the DW since it would have been a significant percentage of the cost.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Oct 9, 2011
854 posts
360 upvotes
GTA
Bobberts wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 8:58 am
I think we have the same repair man. The one I dealt with said it was nearly impossible to obtain parts for LG and Samsung and that North American brands have parts more readily available.
Looks like you're in Markham and I'm in Oakville so I'm sure it's a different repair man .... good to get validation from someone else
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2466 posts
125 upvotes
Burlington
Generally speaking these days if the warranty price is reasonable (based on the price of the product) I seriously consider purchasing it. Some companies will negotiate it with you which also makes it appealing and as most have said... quality just isn't what it used to be.

My current fridge was a floor model (small ding on the side but otherwise great cosmetic shape) and I got it quite heavily discounted to about $1600, 5 year warranty ended up costing $150. Aside from parts/labor and fix/replace it came with $300 food spoilage credit per claim if the fridge ever went down. So the 30 bucks a year for a peace of mind was somewhat simple of a choice, any issues I've actually profited on the food credit lol.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8587 posts
1623 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
This probably won't help but...

1. Dishwasher died after 2.5 years. Had extended warranty which paid back the original price paid.
2. Oven died a couple of months after extended warranty period. Cost 60% of the original price tag to replace the electronic board (which is sad since an oven is such a basic tech but now we need disposable electronics to run it).
3. Fridge has been nothing but problems after 2 years. We didn't get an extended warranty. So far I have been able to fix it myself but it is pathetic that I have to.
4. Washers is ~15 years old, has some rust spots but for the most part keeps on going. A few circuit issues once and awhile but it continues to work. No plans to replace it unless it is fully dead.

Did that help? Probably not. But my point is that next time we will just buy the basic run of the mill appliances since they are basically disposables these days. The warranty is essentially just a guarantee that you will get the 4-5 years out of it in one shape or another.