Computers & Electronics

Is it worth buying a HP Omen desktop? Can everything be replaced with non HP parts of it breaks?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2021 10:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
316 upvotes

Is it worth buying a HP Omen desktop? Can everything be replaced with non HP parts of it breaks?

So it’s easier to find a completed used build compared to the parts necessary to build a pc during COVID times.

I know Dell G5’s have a bad rep in the sense that there are proprietary parts that can’t be swapped if they break.

Can the same be said about the HP Omen line? If something breaks am I able to swap out a different power supply, motherboard, cpu, etc?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2632 posts
1879 upvotes
Markham
Linus Tech tips did a video regarding a bunch of pre-builds HP Omen included in their secret shopper series. Although I don't think its bad to replace parts for or at least doesn't seem that way...the crappy HP BIOS thing however, out of the box these HPs are effectively handicapped. You could actually have impressive hardware on these but the CPU will be power limited and the GPU seems to automatically clock down the moment it sees slightly toasty temperatures meaning anytime these parts boost, and out of the box they might run crappier than you'd expect. You will need to basically find a way to remove these handicaps. Probably the least frustrating way is to toss out the HP motherboard...but I don't know if they allow anything else to fit.

This is the video in question:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
316 upvotes
Your reply was much appreciated, thank you, you make me feel less bad for missing the deal.

Is there a pre-built that doesn’t have these issues? The Dell’s seems to get a bad rap because of the proprietary components , and I thought the HP Omen’s were the ones to buy based on the fact that it used standard components which could be replaced.

I’m trying to catch one of these refurbished or open box deals , locally Kijiji sellers are asking d’or more than it costs new and you can’t even find a rtx 2060 in stock! I’d like to stick with rtx 2060 because I need to drive a 1440p 144hz monitor.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35042 posts
4288 upvotes
Winnipeg
Everything can be replaced under 1 year standard warranty, now if you wanna go beyond that then you may be looking at custom case, psu, board connector but the cpu, ram, hdd, gpu should be standard. It is up to you to decide on how important it is when it comes to maintenance and repairs out of warranty, so far I haven't had any issues myself but I'm someone who built countless pc myself so if I had to I could pull an OEM apart and rebuilt it into another case.