Home & Garden

Is it worth buying my 15 year old reliance water heaters for good? there asking 40 dollars for each (set of 2)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 2:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1678 posts
251 upvotes

Is it worth buying my 15 year old reliance water heaters for good? there asking 40 dollars for each (set of 2)

so we have been renting water heaters (i would say to long) and there are gas powered ones that were installed in 2003.

they have been running on hard water up until this year when we got our water softener last november.

weve been thinking renting the water heaters is a waste of money. wwere no longer on contract and i asked how much tobuy em out, they said 40 bucks for one, so 80 plus tax.

would it be better to just cancel with them, let themm take the water heaters back and buy our own or just buy the ones that are sitting there now from reliance.

they amazingly work fine so far i can see. we only ever called reliance 3 or 4 times. last time was to replace a thermocouple, and before that was for a pipe leaking that wasnt part of the water heater.

the free service was nice...but 129 dollars every 2 months now just to use the water heaters seems rdiciulous. 3 or 4 years ago it was 90, then 100, then 110, getting crazy
38 replies
Nov 11, 2017
42 posts
16 upvotes
May I ask if they are actively or passively vented? Active, being a blower motor at the top of the tank and passive, bring a straight pipe exiting.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2451 posts
1423 upvotes
Alliston, ON
For $80, buy them and use them until they fail. Even if you get another 6 months to a year out of them you'll be better off. Then you can take your time finding replacements
Aug 5, 2010
396 posts
143 upvotes
Yes - at that cost ($80), buy them out so you are out of the contract with Reliance. You may get a few more months/years out of them, and based on the costs you mention, even if they only last 1 more month you are ahead. Once you buy out, then plan for eventual replacement and shop around for deals at your leisure.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33808 posts
7450 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
AlastairL wrote: May I ask if they are actively or passively vented? Active, being a blower motor at the top of the tank and passive, bring a straight pipe exiting.
If the house was built in 2003, there is a good chance that it is active.

I would buy them and replace the anode rods and hope for the best.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2338 posts
617 upvotes
Yeah, buy them out and be done with Reliance forever.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1155 upvotes
Gee wrote: If the house was built in 2003, there is a good chance that it is active.

Good luck getting the anode rods out after all those years...and it's not like Reliance has kept up on replacing them.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33808 posts
7450 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
fusion2k2k wrote: Good luck getting the anode rods out after all those years...and it's not like Reliance has kept up on replacing them.
Still have to try.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to drain some of the sediment at the bottom of the tank either.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1437 posts
245 upvotes
Grimsby
No brainer, buy them and be done. I doubt they would bother collecting them if you bought and installed new either.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1678 posts
251 upvotes
AlastairL wrote: May I ask if they are actively or passively vented? Active, being a blower motor at the top of the tank and passive, bring a straight pipe exiting.
schade wrote: For $80, buy them and use them until they fail. Even if you get another 6 months to a year out of them you'll be better off. Then you can take your time finding replacements
stendzme wrote: Yes - at that cost ($80), buy them out so you are out of the contract with Reliance. You may get a few more months/years out of them, and based on the costs you mention, even if they only last 1 more month you are ahead. Once you buy out, then plan for eventual replacement and shop around for deals at your leisure.
Gee wrote: If the house was built in 2003, there is a good chance that it is active.

they are passively vented. no fan, there vented into the chimney, same with our 1986 furnace which is still going strong lol. is there an issue if they are passive or fan vented you uys wanted to point out?

they use a pilot light, which i like cause if the power goes out we still get hot water.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1370 posts
801 upvotes
ottawa
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: they are passively vented. no fan, there vented into the chimney, same with our 1986 furnace which is still going strong lol. is there an issue if they are passive or fan vented you uys wanted to point out?

they use a pilot light, which i like cause if the power goes out we still get hot water.
I agree with Schade, buy them and try your best to maintain them. You said $129 for 2 heaters every 2 months? So you're essentially paying it off in less than a month and a half by buying it out.

Ask yourself this: if they broke down in two months, can you afford to replace them for cash or would you just rent again? If you would pay cash then buy them out, if you're going to return to renting then you may cause more trouble than necessary.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
397 upvotes
As a heads up, some insurance companies require that you keep hot water tanks less than a certain number of years old unless you provide proof of inspection to proof it is in good working order with no rust etc. If you've purchased it and hope to use it for the next 5 years you may run into the problem of having to find another insurance etc. It isn't a big deal, but just as a heads up.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20728 posts
8943 upvotes
Toronto
$80 is a cheap price to pay to tell Reliance to take a hike. Run them to failure and buy your own replacement.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4682 posts
3516 upvotes
I would be more inclined to have them pick them up if it's free of charge and then buy your water heater outright. I don't really understand that logic of buying out the old one because "you can get xx more months" when a) it's end of life b) it's been on hardwater c) you're responsible for the disposal and you'll probably end up paying more to have them removed. If you know you have to replace it, why prolong because you might get an extra 6 months when it's going to be a much bigger headache when it fails (which it eventually will do) and may result in flooding or other water damage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1678 posts
251 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I would be more inclined to have them pick them up if it's free of charge and then buy your water heater outright. I don't really understand that logic of buying out the old one because "you can get xx more months" when a) it's end of life b) it's been on hardwater c) you're responsible for the disposal and you'll probably end up paying more to have them removed. If you know you have to replace it, why prolong because you might get an extra 6 months when it's going to be a much bigger headache when it fails (which it eventually will do) and may result in flooding or other water damage.
its lasted this long. we switched to soft water now as of 4 months ago. think its going to die soon?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1370 posts
801 upvotes
ottawa
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: its lasted this long. we switched to soft water now as of 4 months ago. think its going to die soon?
My hot water tank finally died last week. It was installed 1999. It wasn’t a big leak just a slow trickle. I check on it weekly when I’m down doing laundry.

Have you replaced anode rods? Have you noticed water discoloration for hot water ?

I also don’t think reliance will pick the tank up it’s useless to them. At least they didn’t pick mine up.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2658 posts
456 upvotes
like everyone say, no brainer, just buy it out and used it until it dies.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1922 posts
363 upvotes
'sauga
kmarcie wrote: As a heads up, some insurance companies require that you keep hot water tanks less than a certain number of years old unless you provide proof of inspection to proof it is in good working order with no rust etc. If you've purchased it and hope to use it for the next 5 years you may run into the problem of having to find another insurance etc. It isn't a big deal, but just as a heads up.
It isn't a problem for the insurance company, they'll just exclude any damage caused by a malfunctioning water heater. Most companies just look at the age of the unit, e.g. > 10 years, they could care less if it's working fine or inspected.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2848 posts
1317 upvotes
Mississauga
Buy it out. I did thesame. Mine was about 15 yrs and I bought it out for a similar cheap cost. Mine was installed at a location that would have minimum damage if it leaked.
I used it for 5 additional years before I replaced it in Dec 2016. It was still working but I needed more capacity and threw in a tankless with the money I had saved.

Mine did not even have separate anode rod to replace. It had a 2-in-1 hot water outlet anode rod which had the house plumbing soldered to it so I did not other with preventive maintenance.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
397 upvotes
abstract808 wrote: It isn't a problem for the insurance company, they'll just exclude any damage caused by a malfunctioning water heater. Most companies just look at the age of the unit, e.g. > 10 years, they could care less if it's working fine or inspected.
It was a problem with mine. Hot water tank is >15 years old, we were required to either change it or have Reliance come by and confirm it is in good order. Otherwise the policy would not be renewed.