Home & Garden

Is it worth buying my 15 year old reliance water heaters for good? there asking 40 dollars for each (set of 2)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 2:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1691 posts
253 upvotes
rogerrabbit168 wrote: like everyone say, no brainer, just buy it out and used it until it dies.
abstract808 wrote: It isn't a problem for the insurance company, they'll just exclude any damage caused by a malfunctioning water heater. Most companies just look at the age of the unit, e.g. > 10 years, they could care less if it's working fine or inspected.
bubuski wrote: Buy it out. I did thesame. Mine was about 15 yrs and I bought it out for a similar cheap cost. Mine was installed at a location that would have minimum damage if it leaked.
I used it for 5 additional years before I replaced it in Dec 2016. It was still working but I needed more capacity and threw in a tankless with the money I had saved.

Mine did not even have separate anode rod to replace. It had a 2-in-1 hot water outlet anode rod which had the house plumbing soldered to it so I did not other with preventive maintenance.
kmarcie wrote: It was a problem with mine. Hot water tank is >15 years old, we were required to either change it or have Reliance come by and confirm it is in good order. Otherwise the policy would not be renewed.
any reason why insurance would want an update to date water tank? i mean, i dont see them as a a hazard witha ll the safety stuff on them?

if i asked reliance before buyint them out if they could service or inspect it first think they would? i know buyig them outright they said was "as is"
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20954 posts
9248 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: I would be more inclined to have them pick them up if it's free of charge and then buy your water heater outright. I don't really understand that logic of buying out the old one because "you can get xx more months" when a) it's end of life b) it's been on hardwater c) you're responsible for the disposal and you'll probably end up paying more to have them removed. If you know you have to replace it, why prolong because you might get an extra 6 months when it's going to be a much bigger headache when it fails (which it eventually will do) and may result in flooding or other water damage.
Sadly if nothing is done, reliance would gladly continue to collect rent on the water heater for another 15 years. The break even is probably a couple of months. Buy it out and then over the course of the next year or two, gather funds to replace.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3532 posts
1793 upvotes
Waterloo
OP where do you live? Just curious in regards to how hard your water is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1691 posts
253 upvotes
crystallight wrote: OP where do you live? Just curious in regards to how hard your water is.
The bedrock here is all lime stone. So lots of calcium and stuff in it .

I’d imagine the inside of the heaters are caked the white stuff, amazingly still work fine so far
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11391 posts
2855 upvotes
Kingston
hierophant wrote: I would be more inclined to have them pick them up if it's free of charge and then buy your water heater outright. I don't really understand that logic of buying out the old one because "you can get xx more months" when a) it's end of life b) it's been on hardwater c) you're responsible for the disposal and you'll probably end up paying more to have them removed. If you know you have to replace it, why prolong because you might get an extra 6 months when it's going to be a much bigger headache when it fails (which it eventually will do) and may result in flooding or other water damage.
Seems like your kinda skipping over the part where they'd need to have 2 new water heaters installed, and the installers would likely take them away as part of the service.

OP, I'd buy them out, then decide if you want to either:
1) wait until one fails then replace it at market rates, or
2) start shopping for a good deal on replacements. When one comes up pull the trigger.
I'd go for #2, but of course if you wait too long you'll end up with #1.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1374 posts
801 upvotes
ottawa
JWL wrote: Seems like your kinda skipping over the part where they'd need to have 2 new water heaters installed, and the installers would likely take them away as part of the service.

OP, I'd buy them out, then decide if you want to either:
1) wait until one fails then replace it at market rates, or
2) start shopping for a good deal on replacements. When one comes up pull the trigger.
I'd go for #2, but of course if you wait too long you'll end up with #1.
I agree, could try and get a deal buying 2 at once, or spread the cost of them out over a year or so.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33861 posts
7500 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: I’d imagine the inside of the heaters are caked the white stuff, amazingly still work fine so far
Drain about 20 litres of water from the tank and look at what comes out. If it is minerals, you maybe better off replacing them. The tank will not be efficient if it has to heat water and metal.

If you still see minerals after 20 litres have drained, keep draining till you see clear water.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35343 posts
4389 upvotes
Winnipeg
will888 wrote: $80 is a cheap price to pay to tell Reliance to take a hike. Run them to failure and buy your own replacement.
might want to replace it before it fails unless you up for a clean up
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2989 posts
1242 upvotes
I bought mine for the same price ($40) from Reliance about seven or eight years ago now. It was fourteen years old at the time... Needless to say it is still working fine, and I have shaved about $2500 in rental fees.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1143 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
Get them to service it first. Then but it out.

Has anyone bought out a rental tankless unit?
JS
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1691 posts
253 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote: Get them to service it first. Then but it out.

Has anyone bought out a rental tankless unit?
i asked them about servicing it before buying an they said they dont do that :/
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1143 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i asked them about servicing it before buying an they said they dont do that :/
You don't tell them that you are gonna buy it out. Get them to do a check up or whatever on it. When they leave, call and cancel.

I do wonder though, if your tank buyout is $40, will they put in a new rental unit instead if a check up? You should call and ask.

I was able to service my old one before I bought it out when I was with reliance
JS
Jan 7, 2006
598 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i asked them about servicing it before buying an they said they dont do that :/
When I was contemplating buying out my Reliance rental tank, I got them to come do a check up on it (free of charge). The guy showed up, did a visual in about 5 minutes, which he said theres no leaks, no rust, no cracked exhaust, tag on gas line is good... asked if I had any hot water issues (which I didn't), and said call them only when I have a problem. The check up was not really useful if you ask me.

I returned the tank because I decided I don't want to give that scum company any more money.
Mar 9, 2014
963 posts
587 upvotes
Ottawa
At the age of tank you have I would recommend replacing it. I had a cousin whose tank quit on him and burst out (12 year old rental) and it was a nightmare to repair all the damage. Took a few weeks and a ton of money. An old condo building I used to live in would send notices around all the time because tanks older than 10 years old were bursting and when water leaks everyone around you getting affected.

I've just pulled the trigger on getting out of my rental and replacing a 13 year old tank.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19683 posts
5769 upvotes
Toronto
Mine leaked at 14 years. Just FYI.

Assuming you've done no maintenance on them, I'd buy them out and then look for a good deal on new tanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1691 posts
253 upvotes
bobbyz101 wrote: At the age of tank you have I would recommend replacing it. I had a cousin whose tank quit on him and burst out (12 year old rental) and it was a nightmare to repair all the damage. Took a few weeks and a ton of money. An old condo building I used to live in would send notices around all the time because tanks older than 10 years old were bursting and when water leaks everyone around you getting affected.

I've just pulled the trigger on getting out of my rental and replacing a 13 year old tank.
i assume getting out of a rental is samething as buying the tanks?
Mar 9, 2014
963 posts
587 upvotes
Ottawa
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i assume getting out of a rental is samething as buying the tanks?
Yeah. Your options are

Keep renting at current rate
Keep renting and have the tank replaced by the company (likely at a higher rate and at a much higher cost)
Buy the tanks thereby getting out of the rental and keep using them as long as you're comfortable
Buy the tanks thereby getting out of the rental and replace them