Wheels and Tires

Worth heading across the border to do tires?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2018 12:07 am
[OP]
Jan 8, 2017
168 posts
93 upvotes

Worth heading across the border to do tires?

I’ve always heard people say this is cheaper overall. I’m in BC so I’d be looking at Bellingham or whatever.

Driving a 2017 Q50 RS with the stupid Dunlop run flats. Thinking of putting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on to reduce noise/improve ride/improve handling.

Seeing around $320/tire CAD up here. Obviously I’ll negotiate that but would it make more sense for me to just head south? I assume border wouldn’t be an issue because who would even notice the difference.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17673 posts
5753 upvotes
London
Djb990 wrote: .. I assume border wouldn’t be an issue because who would even notice the difference.
Brand new tires have the manufacturer's color code bands visible on the treads. If the border guys spots them, you could be screwed

Mar 29, 2015
229 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
l69norm wrote: Brand new tires have the manufacturer's color code bands visible on the treads. If the border guys spots them, you could be screwed
A quick burnout solves that problem ;)
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17673 posts
5753 upvotes
London
jechin1 wrote: A quick burnout solves that problem ;)
Some of the markings (like the red one in the pic) are in the grooves. Unless you burn it up till bald, it's still going to be there.
Oct 18, 2005
416 posts
159 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Brand new tires have the manufacturer's color code bands visible on the treads. If the border guys spots them, you could be screwed

Take a black marker with you and ask them to let you black out those lines before installation. No burn out needed.
Mar 29, 2015
229 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
l69norm wrote: Some of the markings (like the red one in the pic) are in the grooves. Unless you burn it up till bald, it's still going to be there.
Sorry I forgot the /s. I don't actually recommend doing a burnout.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17673 posts
5753 upvotes
London
jechin1 wrote: Sorry I forgot the /s. I don't actually recommend doing a burnout.
I did assume you meant "figuratively" to wear the paint off with more normal/ practical type driving, like doing some fast sepentine turns. I didn't think you meant "literally" to do burnouts
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7647 posts
4563 upvotes
Mississauga
Cantfindanametouse wrote: NAFTA no duties if US made.
Still need to declare and pay HST.

If you don't and get caught you'll be in a world of hurt.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2017
168 posts
93 upvotes
I think the implicit idea is not to declare upon crossing the border;). If you declare, you would end up paying tax twice I presume—once in WA at the time of purchase and once in BC. My conscience on dodging the tax in BC is clean as I give enough of my paycheque to inane projects like Site C:)

Thanks for the heads up on the color bands. I would probably head down on a weekend and stay a night, so there presumably would be enough driving to wear off the bands. Interestingly, I picked up my car with less than 15 km on it and there were no marks on the tires. So perhaps they’re not put on tires headed for factory cars?

Anyone have a recommended tire shop in Bellingham or near by?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5057 posts
713 upvotes
Djb990 wrote: I’ve always heard people say this is cheaper overall. I’m in BC so I’d be looking at Bellingham or whatever.

Driving a 2017 Q50 RS with the stupid Dunlop run flats. Thinking of putting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on to reduce noise/improve ride/improve handling.

Seeing around $320/tire CAD up here. Obviously I’ll negotiate that but would it make more sense for me to just head south? I assume border wouldn’t be an issue because who would even notice the difference.
Have Q50 hybrid and just got rid of the Dunlops - went with Pirellis non-RFT - much smoother and quieter but the Dunlops were sure excellent handling. All my inside treads were worn which i wonder if that was the way they set up the alignment out of the factory so buyers would be impressed with the handling.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2017
168 posts
93 upvotes
162 wrote: Have Q50 hybrid and just got rid of the Dunlops - went with Pirellis non-RFT - much smoother and quieter but the Dunlops were sure excellent handling. All my inside treads were worn which i wonder if that was the way they set up the alignment out of the factory so buyers would be impressed with the handling.
Excellent feedback!

I’m surprised you find handling not to have improved. Many of the anecdotal reports I’ve read say people found the Dunlops also didn’t handle well relative to Pirelli or Michelin sport tires. Especially in the wet. I haven’t found them to be lacking in handling but I’m coming from an 01 Pathfinder so anything handles better :p